(Topic ID: 195339)

Should you buy a NEW Stern Pinball Machine?

By RGR

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 271 posts
  • 85 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by RGR
  • Topic is favorited by 11 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

lemmings (resized).jpg
    IMG_3271 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3270 (resized).JPG
    20170811_131342 (resized).jpg
    Toe Truck (resized).png
    image (resized).jpeg
    IMG_2383 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider john_i.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#52 6 years ago

I do think Stern has taken cost cutting too far, but I like Spike. It eliminates a mile of wiring, dozens of connectors, unneeded transformers, diodes everywhere, fluorescent tube light, etc. Simpler is better. Lighter is better too. Sure there will be some growing pains. When Sam came out Stern had to replace every single CPU board in the first game six months after production (WPT). We also remember the growing pains JJP had with their networked LED boards. That was a disaster way worse than any SPIKE problems.

Funny how people who don't really understand the SPIKE system are so fast pile on and bash it. Mob rules and bashing Stern is in style. Systems like SPIKE are inevitable progress, just like an LCD display and the DMD before it. Stern is using automotive technology and we all know how much more reliable cars are now than they were 20 years ago. They will get it right, because it will cost them money if they don't!

Yep the Pro playfield pegs suck, but on the other hand I prefer the video game style lock bar latches.

#78 6 years ago
    Quoted from RandomGuyOffCL:

These used to be words reserved for 20 year old routed games with 18,000 plays

Tens of thousands of WPC era machines resetting due to poor design says you are wrong.

#82 6 years ago
    Quoted from Homepin:

Yes, sure - but with a $20 fix!

That wasn't available until 20 years later.

#86 6 years ago
    Quoted from Homepin:

I was fixing WMS machines 20 years ago for $20. I'm not talking about an add-on board but an electronic repair.

Quoted from schudel5:

That's not a 'fix'. It's a work-around. Connectors and caps...maybe a voltage regulator, that's at most what is needed

How does this detract from the fact that thousands of Williams Bally machines failed early due to poor design? I can fix them too, but that's not the point.

#91 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rum-Z:

Early?? I've got tons of Williams Bally. I didn't have this issue until they were 15 years old or more. How is that early? Early is having your Stern node board fail in less than a year.

Loaded games like TZ failed early and very few other games have not had this failure eventually as the expected norm. And to point out yet again this was not a failure caused by normal usage. It is a failure caused on thousands of games due to poor design on both the cpu and the power supply.

People with reliable working WPC and System 11 games have them because over the years people repaired, replaced and upgraded numerous faulty components just like I have personally done to all of the games I've owned. I love those old games, but that doesn't mean there weren't design flaws. Not to mention they were designed to last three years and then be put in a dumpster.

#112 6 years ago
    Quoted from ultimategameroom:

Did you ever see the movie
    Team America world police?

Yes, now that would be a great theme for a pin! Thunderbirds is better than Dialed In at least.

#125 6 years ago
    Quoted from mountaingamer:

Sounded like an employee towing the company line to me

Or someone pointing out the obvious bias and ignorance of the OP.

#179 6 years ago
    Quoted from smokedog:

That must include JJP and CGC then, right? They have proprietary light boards as well don't they?

JJP had huge problems with WOZ LED node boards due to terrible design that eventually got replaced with a more robust design way after the fact. The SPIKE issues are tiny by comparison.

#225 6 years ago

ST was the only game with the allen screw. They learned and replaced it with a mini leg bolt. To me this is the best solution (as shown on the IMVE above). One tool to take off the legs and lower the head. I prefer the metal head to the old ones for other reasons too. Having the DMD/LCD panel angled toward the players head makes sense and also cuts way down on the glare.

#227 6 years ago
    Quoted from Colsond3:

I hope you learn to redo connectors also. As Mark had pointed out, Spike system adds a ton of connectors to a game, and that is where a ton of issues with pins emanate from. So sure you can have your plug and play boards, but get familiar with repinning connectors and reflowing pins also, and have plenty of spare connectors and pins on hand.

Actually SPIKE removes a ton of connectors from the game along with a half a mile of wiring. With all of the bulbs replaced by LEDs, there is very little power going through so repinning definitely not a concern. You must be thinking of System 11 interface board? Or the WPC GI connectors?

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider john_i.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/should-you-buy-a-new-stern-pinball-machine?tu=john_i and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.