(Topic ID: 195339)

Should you buy a NEW Stern Pinball Machine?

By RGR

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 271 posts
  • 85 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by RGR
  • Topic is favorited by 11 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

lemmings (resized).jpg
    IMG_3271 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3270 (resized).JPG
    20170811_131342 (resized).jpg
    Toe Truck (resized).png
    image (resized).jpeg
    IMG_2383 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gexchange.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#113 6 years ago
    Quoted from RGR:

» YouTube video

I posted this in the other thread but I thought It was valid here too since the Video was posted here as well

So I decided to take the statements and questions of this video to Stern see what they had to say... This was their reply. Hopefully, you guys will find some of this enlightening as I did

George Gomez has answered some of these questions in pin chats and interviews before but he was happy to answer them again. We tried to Catalog based on the time a statement or question was asked on the video.

2:55 — “Considering the abundance of empty space inside a pinball machine, the use of a microelectronic system is completely unnecessary and almost always makes faults far more inconvenient and expensive to repair”
    Response:The Spike systems use modern, state of the art technology. Like many modern systems it is based on a distributed network and it leverages the flexibility and features inherent in surface mount components, LED lighting and switching power supplies; not unlike mobile phones, computers, automobiles, jet aircraft or any product designed for use in the world today.
    The system is designed to be modular in order to allow the system to scale to the requirements of the game. Stern Pinball intends to develop games at many price points to satisfy many existing and future market segments. This means that a simpler game is not burdened with the cost of resources that it doesn’t use and a more complex game isn’t limited by a fixed set of inputs and outputs. Previous systems used a finite number of drivers and resources, extra drivers could be added but it was awkward and expensive.
    3:34 — "Serviceability with Spike is not enhanced, in fact quite the opposite it true”.
    Response: All new technology requires some acclimation period amongst service users. The Spike systems currently use menus that are directly based on the SAM system. A more updated diagnostic system, which takes advantage of the user interface available thru the LCD screen and built in smart diagnostics is currently in development. There are also numerous programs in development to train and educate the technical support community, operators and customers on troubleshooting techniques specific to the new system.
    3:53 — “The previous SAM system already featured 100% LED illumination.”
    Response: This is only true because the game referenced (Star Trek Premium/LE) was essentially a SAM/Spike hybrid with preliminary node board architecture from Spike running the LEDs.It was a modified SAM system, utilizing Spike technology.
    The power budgets onthe Spike system are designed to allow the designer to use a substantially greater number of LED’s than the previous systems incandescent lighting; whilealso using similar amounts of power.In addition, the system allows for the use of color changing LED’s, giving the designer substantially more feature flexibility, more attractive light shows and greater design potential; this was impossible with incandescent lighting. LED’s are currently used in the vast majority of consumer products due to the intensity of the light, reliability, color flexibility and low power consumption.
    4:03 — “It’s worth noting the Spike system is quite sensitive. If you were to replace one of the few removable LEDs with a traditional light bulb it will cause the Spike system to shut down or reset at random”.
    Response:The Spike system is very robust and has passed rigorous laboratory testing that subjected it to shock, vibration, extremes in temperature, electrical shocks and radiation events way beyond what it sees in real world use. Spike is designed to work with LEDs. If an incandescent lamp is installed it draws excessive current, which is sensed by the overcurrent detection circuit; then outputs of the driving node board are turned off for ½ second. Since the overload persists, it will have the effect of disabling that node board until the offending incandescent lamp is removed. This is not a failure condition; this is a design feature to protect the system. This also allows the system to protect itself from potential shorts when someone is poking around under a playfield with a tool and accidentally shorts across components.
    5:01 — “Being a microelectronic system, Spike’s circuit boards are far more delicate…”
    Response:In reality small boards with SMT components are less likely to suffer failures due to mechanical shock loads due to the lower mass of the components and inherent lower inertia. In addition the same types of components are used in consumer, industrial and commercial products throughout the world today,specifically because they are more reliable and stable. Every mobile phone in use today sees much greater potential shock loads and uses the very same types of components.
    5:40 — “… it would have been a wise safety precaution to have fuses in some key areas”
    Response:The coil outputs have overcurrent protection.Shorted coils should cause no damage to the driver board. Sizing fuses is a non-trivial issue considering how much current a large coil can draw — a fuse which is large enough to not blow under normal conditions may not blow under a failure condition, either. This is especially problematic if a single fuse is expected to protect multiple coils.
    6:16 — "Spike is definitely not a better system for operators to work with, diagnose, or repair in the field”
    Response:Again, a modular system is preferable for service. LED’s are far more reliable. Service and diagnostics menus are the same as on SAM. As said before, Stern is constantly working to improve its products including serviceability. The roll out of node diagnostic code will further improve serviceability.

7:05 — “Spike diagnostics are essentially identical to the previous SAM system…”
    Response:Yes, this was by design so that on system roll out operators familiar with SAM games would be able to navigate the system until training schools, support materials and more sophisticated troubleshooting methods could be introduced. As mentioned above, we are developing a suite of tools to ease the burden of diagnosing issues.
    7:25 — “One of the most common Spike criticisms is that Stern has created many different playfield node and LED boards…”
    Response:The variety of node boards has narrowed. Games have unique LED boards and this will likely continue to support unique game features.
    The LED boards that are a unique shapeare specific to the game.
    9:00 — “Some Spike boards have switch blocks but little information is provided about them”.
    Response:The DIP switches are all documented in the manuals.
    9:41 — “Replacing them is an expensive, time-consuming nightmare” (referencing the SMT LEDs)
    Response:Again, this is common technology; SMT parts are currently used in consumer, commercial and industrial products worldwide.They do require specific techniques, training and tools but years ago when pinball went to solid state, that technology seemed equally daunting at first. There are numerous YouTube video’s on SMT repair tutorials.
    9:50 — Lack of sockets for lighting …
    Response:LEDs fail far less frequently.LED’s are not stressed and being SMT will not be affected by vibration.
    In addition we are in the midst of transitioning most of our connectors away from insulation displacement technology to “crimp and poke” style connectors for additional reliability.
    12:00 — this is a common refrain - that everything was done to increase Stern’s profits at the expense of quality.
    Response:This is simply not true. Stern employs some of the most dedicated and passionate game designers, developers, artists, sound designers and engineers that have ever worked on pinball machines. Their collective portfolio of hit games, patents and awards have been accomplished under the brand banners of the best pinball companies in the history of the game and the portfolio speaks for itself. They are all players and consumers of the Stern product and guardians of the vision to create the best pinball machines in the world.
    The Spike system has brought significant power to the designers; with the ability to create an inventory of flexible and modular components that allows devices that are designed for a specific game to be brought to bear on a different game with different game play results. In addition the system has brought scalable power to lamps, LCD displays, coils, switches, sensors, electromagnetic devices, motors and numerous other components.
    14:40 — talks about how LCD should be less expensive than DMD.
    Response: The LCD and DMD hard cost is similar; the cost of electronics to drive the LCD is much more. The art and code development cost per game is much higher.
    15:48 — Power switch.
    Response: The power switch was moved to the backbox in order to comply with FCC testing standards and to increase safety by removing all main power from the main cabinet; if a few cents in wire length was saved it was incidental and not at all the design intent.
    On ELG
    Response: the original ELG games that the operator refers to were intended to test a market segment. Every game was sold and the program taught us a lot. We intend to have a presence in consumer products at many price points and that research effort is ongoing. The Spike system was not designed specifically for those games but those games did provided an opportunity to do a pilot run of the system in order to increase reliability once the system was launched in the commercial games. The ability of the system to scale up and down was a design parameter in the original design brief for the system.
    On Batman and the notion that we are going away from designing full games:
    Response: We produce 3 cornerstone games every year. In addition we may produce smaller runs of studio titles and other special games. Every cornerstone is designed from scratch and includes a Pro, Premium and LE version. Batman was not a cornerstone game; it was an anniversary edition designed to celebrate 30 years of Stern Pinball. The designers chose to build on their previous Batman model in order to improve on their own design. The game was also the first Spike 2 LCD game which required substantial effort from the design team for that reason. Development on the code is ongoing and the team is dedicated and committed to finishing the game. The key members of the team intend to buy the game with their own money and add it to their personal collections and to that end they want it to be something they can be proud off. They will not abandon the game.
    JJ

#118 6 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

Because they did. It's a switching power supply. They could have left it where it was and not run mains power down to it. But that would have cost more.

Not sure what you are trying to say here? The power switch cuts the power to the power supply.. which is 110v AC power.. which UL did not want inside of the lower cab because of the access door.

JJ

#172 6 years ago
    Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Is this really true? I put about 15 incandescent bulbs in my ASLE because I wanted less brightness at back of playfield.
    I haven't noticed any issues yet but I don't leave the game on for long periods of time.
    Now wondering if I should take them out and put frosted LED's in??? I had no idea you weren't supposed to put incandescent bulbs in a spike game.

Yes.. I would not run any Incandescent bulbs in Spike games. Put frosted or some of the lower end less bright single led bulbs.

#212 6 years ago
    Quoted from jar155:

It seems like they're pretty good at replacing the first board but people are paying up for the second.
    Node board issues aside, I still say that it shouldn't stop you from buying a machine if you understand that it's a factor in ownership. If you simply can't handle it, don't buy. If you can understand that owning a pinball machine incurs cost beyond the initial purchase, and you're ok with that, there's no reason not to buy a Stern (just get educated so you know what to expect).
    I won't talk someone out of buying a Stern, but I just don't like the SPIKE platform at all.

I just checked out System. I don't think we have sold a Spike board yet.. Stern has replaced them Free of charge even for games 16 months old.

Now Do I expect that to last for ever no.. I think they will start charging on boards over a year old unless its already been swapped but not sure where people had to pay for a second? Maybe I'm just lucky?
    JJ

#231 6 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

I'm just as annoyed by removing the locking mech on the backbox. Those bolts are unnecessary and a pain in the ass. Not a fan of the metal backbox, either.

Just wondering why you do not like the metal back box.. For me its been a life saver for few reasons.
    1. Far less Hidden drop damage from freight companies because the bottom of the back box does not rip off
    2. If a game does get damaged either in freight our out on location you can order a new side wing
    3. Tilted dmd / Screen
    4. More durrable shell that can easily be replaced down the road (future serviceability) if needed

JJ

#243 6 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Just seems really flimsy. And hey...it can be dented - and that ain't anything Bondo can fix.
    The bolts suck, though. Can't imagine taking out the EZ lock mechanism saved them that much money.

The new bolts are pretty damn good. The Allen ones sucked, glad they fixed that. They are stronger then they look.

JJ

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gexchange.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/should-you-buy-a-new-stern-pinball-machine?tu=gexchange and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.