(Topic ID: 195339)

Should you buy a NEW Stern Pinball Machine?

By RGR

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 271 posts
  • 85 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by RGR
  • Topic is favorited by 11 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

lemmings (resized).jpg
    IMG_3271 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3270 (resized).JPG
    20170811_131342 (resized).jpg
    Toe Truck (resized).png
    image (resized).jpeg
    IMG_2383 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider crazylevi.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#116 6 years ago
    Quoted from RGR:

Gomez is basically saying this is progression deal with it...

Yeah that's what he basically said.

Except that he clearly answered and presented "alternative facts" to every beef aired by the offended party.

These guys can't win with some folks, clearly. We'll be hearing about how "Stern moved the power switch to save 16 cents" till the end of time.

#124 6 years ago
    Quoted from mountaingamer:

Sounded like an employee towing the company line to me

So let's just get this straight:

There's literally no response a Stern higher up could give to this video that would placate you?

Some dude you had never heard of 24 hours ago makes a video and it's gospel, infallible, and incontrovertible proof that Stern was behind 9/11?

I'm honestly pretty shocked they bothered to respond to this at all - much less with lightning speed- especially since all we've been hearing for about 2 years is how Stern ignores their customers and refuses to publicly respond to perceive "QC" issues.

I'm not trying to shine you guys on - I just honestly, purely, really want to know what you guys want on a reasonable level.

#147 6 years ago
    Quoted from RandomGuyOffCL:

It was a rather compelling video...
    And to be honest, I damn near pulled the trigger on a pro after watching some youtube video where you said you would probably buy one...but this spike stuff flipped me to a scared little bit*h...

People generally care way too much what other people think around here.

#151 6 years ago
    Quoted from RandomGuyOffCL:

I think a lot of us are just trying to make the best informed decision possible on these big ticket purchases, so we land here for that information.
    And its not just the guy who made that video, add up all the posts from end users posting about about multiple board failures on brand new games and it does paint an ugly picture.

You don't get much information here. You get hyperbole and hearsay.

I help a friend maintain games on location. In 4 years I believe we've had ONE node board failure in about a dozen different stern games. These games are on 12-15 hours a day and get played all the time.

Anybody with real world experience on these games knows how reliable they are. What I see here is nothing short of mass hysteria.

It really is too bad. Information is good but I can't put much stock in most of what I read here, beyond a few voices of experience I trust.

#171 6 years ago
    Quoted from Goronic:

I think what Levi is saying is that people aren't just stating an opinion to add to the conversation. But rather take criticism personally and then elaborate on and on about their opinion essentially making the same argument over and over - and then it leads to personal attacks.
    Just give your 2 cents and let the other(s) do the same.
    Just my 2 cents...

Well what I'm saying is that - in this case - the reaction to that video is absolutely hysterical. I've seen this way too much over the past few years and it absolutely reminds me of the blind fanticism that has helped create an army of truthers, birthers, mooners etc.

It should really take more than a YouTube link for someone - and a skeptic at that! - to embrace a fully-formed opinion that they will fight to the death to defend. But the world has lost its mind, so really, some YouTube video by someone nobody had even heard of hours prior is pretty much all it takes these days.

#195 6 years ago
    Quoted from jar155:

Yeah, but, you're wrong. First of all, JJP has gone to great lengths to ensure long-term serviceability on their games and allow for future hardware compatibility. But that's not the discussion here anyway.
    For those of us that have been in the hobby for a long time, we're used to being able to diagnose, fix, and maintain our own games. Stern is taking that out of the hobby. Even if you can do work on the surface mount components, you can't even diagnose the problem in the first place.

I keep hearing - ad finitum - that Stern needs to change their methods to be more like a TV or toaster manufacturer. Well, here ya go.

This is part of the dumbing down of the hobby to accommodate the huge influx of home buyers who have ZERO interest in ever doing board work. Even the slowest home end consumer can probably swap in a node board.

#199 6 years ago
    Quoted from jar155:

Oh, sure, it's easy to swap in a new node board, but it's $150-$300 instead of $2.00. That's the rub.

Hobbyists will figure out how to work on these boards, just like we always have. Toaster consumer types will enjoy increased ease of serviceability. I can't believe people who should really know better are getting spooked by this youtube video.

If I stand in front of a bunch of my games and make a youtube video assuring everybody that it will be alright and that buying a Spike machine isn't a death sentence, will that settle people down?

I mean, after all, it'll be on Youtube. A Youtube video. The very word...Youtube...it just oozes credibility.

Now excuse me while I find that video exposing how Jurassic Park was actually a documentary...you'll be shocked how high this conspiracy and cover-up goes!

#201 6 years ago
    Quoted from jar155:

If the boards were reliable and reasonably priced, people wouldn't care so much. But they're expensive and faulty. Also, the unique revisions of boards for specific games is problematic for several reasons.
    The system wasn't ready for release, which is evident by the high failure rate, the lack of documentation, and the constant revisions between games.

Are people really getting raked over the coals on replacements for these "defective" boards? Stern's tech department has always been pretty generous in my experience.

#228 6 years ago

Why are we worried about connectors anyway?

Connectors are an issue on games DECADES down the road.

How long are you people planning on living ffs?!

2 weeks later
    #266 6 years ago
    Quoted from jar155:

You always fall back on this. This isn't a thread about all manufacturers, it's about Stern Pinball.

Well that's fitting, because every other thread about everything else ends up being about Stern Pinball too (or even starts that way, like that AFMr "review.")

Stern changed their warranty language because pinside forced them to. Nice work folks.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider crazylevi.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/should-you-buy-a-new-stern-pinball-machine?tu=crazylevi and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.