(Topic ID: 195339)

Should you buy a NEW Stern Pinball Machine?

By RGR

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 271 posts
  • 85 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by RGR
  • Topic is favorited by 11 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

lemmings (resized).jpg
    IMG_3271 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3270 (resized).JPG
    20170811_131342 (resized).jpg
    Toe Truck (resized).png
    image (resized).jpeg
    IMG_2383 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider colsond3.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#203 6 years ago
    Quoted from hank527:

Great video. It's another black eye as it seems the benefits of Spike could be better than SAM if implemented correctly. However, multiple node boards are stupid and make maintaining and fixing games near impossible.
    For every step forward, it seems Stern goes back two steps.

Quoted from cfh:

But with Stern, their methodology is all about making things easier/cheaper.

Quoted from Guinnesstime:

I enjoyed the video. Most makes sense. "Swappable" node boards that aren't swappable is not a good solution.

It does making fixing games near impossible. And easier/cheaper is only part of the goal...increasing profits is the bigger payoff. A $.50 LED to replace in a regular socket vs. a $175 node board for the same bulb going out? And let's make every node board different in every game!!! It's not rocket science...putting more in their pockets. And it's not Stern bashing...it makes repairing the games much more expensive to have to buy a new board, versus those of us who actually know how to fix games. And I agree with everyone above...unless Stern is around for decades to come, or Rottendog, Alltek or another board company starts making repro boards, we may have a bunch of useless, half working Stern games in 10 or 20 years that you can't find parts for.

Instead of ads that say "just needs a fuse", the ads will say "just needs a node board."

Mark is a hardcore hobbyist and operator, with a TON of experience with pins. He is not "complaining or whining", the video was well put together with facts and showing the differences between two recent pin operating systems and the evolution of the tech.

#204 6 years ago
    Quoted from Reality_Studio:

With spike it's mostly wires and a few node boards so I can finally fix them myself. I can handle removing and replacing a small board. Dealing with your point is very simple, I won't buy a used spike machine unless I can also buy node boards for it, problem solved. I've done the same with my arcade games, like my Baby Pacman has a problematic vidiot board so I bought a spare when I got it. My Robotron, Jr Pacman, etc machines all have spare boards as well. When I buy Elvira 3 I'll consider buying a spare set of node boards to go with it. Either way buying new node boards for someone like me is cheaper than paying a tech, and much less frustrating and time consuming than having to ship out boards for others to repair and hope that issues get fixed.

I hope you learn to redo connectors also. As Mark had pointed out, Spike system adds a ton of connectors to a game, and that is where a ton of issues with pins emanate from. So sure you can have your plug and play boards, but get familiar with repinning connectors and reflowing pins also, and have plenty of spare connectors and pins on hand.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider colsond3.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/should-you-buy-a-new-stern-pinball-machine?tu=colsond3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.