(Topic ID: 195339)

Should you buy a NEW Stern Pinball Machine?

By RGR

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 271 posts
  • 85 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by RGR
  • Topic is favorited by 11 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

lemmings (resized).jpg
    IMG_3271 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3270 (resized).JPG
    20170811_131342 (resized).jpg
    Toe Truck (resized).png
    image (resized).jpeg
    IMG_2383 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Kiwipinhead.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#7 6 years ago
    Quoted from pinballaddicted:

This video is exactly what is wrong with our hobby. Too many whingers and complainers. If you do not like it do not buy it. Please remember that this guy imported Stern machines in to Australia bypassing the Australian Distributer. Plenty of sour grapes there.
    Do not be surprised if he pops up as a distributer for another manufacturer in Australia.

So he knows what he's talking about then

#24 6 years ago
    Quoted from Reality_Studio:

Just watched the video. Two thoughts come to mind.
    First he seems to be complaining that Stern is doing what most every other company on this planet and the next is doing, trying to reduce their costs and maximize their profit. I'm not quite sure why he doesn't expect Stern or any company in existence to always strive for that, it's what companies do.
    Second, he seems to be upset that repair jobs with spike are basically being shifted from guys like him, a tech guy with decades of experience repairing old hardware, to guys like me who don't know how to repair this old stuff and can now simply fix issues by swapping a board. Currently if I have an issue I have to call a repair guy, wait until he is finally free and pay him by the hour to fix these machines since they often exceed my ability to repair them on my own, I'm simply not that skilled at repairing pinball machines, I just play them. Seems like with spike repairs will be much easier for me since it amounts to just swapping a board. It's hard for me not to see this as a positive as it will save me time and money.
    I dunno, both seem like positives to me. Once helps keep Stern alive and hence make more games while the other now makes it possible for me to quickly fix my own games.

And 5 years down the track you buy a second hand Stern Spike game out of production and the game specific node board takes a dump and none are available.. what then?

#99 6 years ago
    Quoted from Reality_Studio:

But that's applicable to all electronics be if laptops, phones or whatever. It's like car mechanics back in the late 80s that were complaining about the computerization of cars because now they can't repair them anymore. Things modernize, get smaller, etc, you can't stop that. E-Waste is pretty easy to deal with here, we have places specifically for electronics that you can bring boards, monitors, etc to. They take them apart because there is money in the materials that make the boards, so they don't just get tossed into a landfill but that's here, your city may vary.

You should see the look on the customers face when I have to replace a BCM at 3k just because their right front indicator doesn't work and they think it will be just a $2 bulb

#122 6 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Not my cup of tea but i agree with John I, theme is MUCH better than DI so if it plays great I'm sure it will sell.

I hope I'm right in saying TaG looks to be an LE/Prem featured pin at $6499 Au, $1800 Au less than a Stern pro, Which will soon be $2k less when Stern jack up the price on their next release

#188 6 years ago

I keep a spare WPC driver board, Why? because it will go in any of the 15 WPC pins I have

#207 6 years ago
    Quoted from smokedog:

When are the follow up YouTube vids about all the issues with other manufacturers platforms?
    I mean , the dude isn't biased, right?

He was showing 2 different systems made by the same company, have any of the new pinball companies changed their systems?
    Guess he could do a WPC vs WPC95

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Kiwipinhead.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/should-you-buy-a-new-stern-pinball-machine?tu=Kiwipinhead and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.