(Topic ID: 132547)

Should the little metal bars under flippers be flush?

By Trooper11040

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
image.jpg
#1 8 years ago

Should the little metal bars under the flippers on my theatre of magic be flush with the playfield? The right side is lower then the left. Enclosed is a photo. Thanks guys!

image.jpgimage.jpg

#2 8 years ago
Quoted from Trooper11040:

Should the little metal bars under the flippers on my Theatre of Magic be flush with the playfield?

Not necessarily. See the little holes in the playfield below each flipper, that's for aligning them. Remove the flipper rubber, put a toothpick in the hole and that bat should rest against the toothpick. In your case the left flipper looks to be high vs the alignment hole.

OK - I completely misunderstood the question. In any case now the flippers will be aligned.

#3 8 years ago

Ideally, yes; the bars (wires) are intended to stop bounce-outs from the trough area (anti-biff bars is one name for them). Since the ends of the wires have a small radius curve it would be hard to get them perfectly flush without damage to the playfield where the ends are inserted. You can gently tap the high end(s) down if the appearance bothers you.

#4 8 years ago

I keep mine slightly above flush... The ball tends to smack the glass if the flipper is up when it hits the "anti-bangback" wire at a good rate of speed when they are flush with the PF.

-Steve

#5 8 years ago

ok good to know! Thanks guys! I will fix the left flipper tonight when i get back down there!

#6 8 years ago

How's this look for the flippers

image.jpgimage.jpg

#7 8 years ago

Toothpick should be between the flipper bat and the rubber. Or remove the rubber, align them and reinstall rubber.

You can also use a straight edge and align them with the lane guide.

#8 8 years ago
Quoted from terryb:

Toothpick should be between the flipper bat and the rubber. Or remove the rubber, align them and reinstall rubber.

Im going to completely disagree with aligning with the toothpicks. It will not result in the same alignment as using a straight edge with the lane guides - the recommended method.

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Im going to completely disagree with aligning with the toothpicks. It will not result in the same alignment as using a straight edge with the lane guides - the recommended method.

I'm surprised there is still a debate about the right method even between two veterans of the hobby. It's so important to shot making and how the designer intended the game to play. I've read a good bit and still am not certain which is right. I go with aligning the bat, not the rubber, with the hole based on my experience that it makes the game harder and all the shots are still accessible. Is there anything published by the manufacturers on the right approach?

#10 8 years ago

I adjust the flipper with the ring installed to a zero degree angle with the feed guide. Like --. I don't trust the holes because I used them at one time and had to go back and readjust flipper position to match the feed guide. Toothpicks will flex too, and cause the adjustment to be off.

I snug the crank to the flipper shaft, check for correct up/down slop, then look down the feed guide from the tip of the flipper and make the face of the flipper ring match the face of the feed guide. Then torque down the crank screw/bolt.

Haven't used the holes in years.

IMO...YMMV

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Agree with this. Have worked on (and own) too many games where the holes do not align the flippers properly.

#12 8 years ago
Quoted from luckymoey:

I'm surprised there is still a debate about the right method even between two veterans of the hobby.

Not really, I just wasn't very precise in my wording. I should have said, "the best way is to use a straight edge and align them with the lane guides" instead of the following.

Quoted from terryb:

The only reason I even brought up the toothpick method is because I was determining that the flippers were not aligned properly because of the flipper position vs the alignment holes. About half way through I realized I wasn't even answering the question the OP asked, so the whole post for me is pretty much a bust.

#13 8 years ago

The post works good for me lol. I'm a newb to pinball

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 130.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 11.95
$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 38.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 29.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

€ 150.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
TheDudeMods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Manteca, CA
$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Wanted
Machine - For Sale
Sandy Springs, GA
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wilsonville, OR
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/should-the-little-metal-bars-under-flippers-be-flush and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.