Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 134 posts
  • 69 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by swampfire
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-864.jpg

There are 134 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
    #101 9 years ago

I have no idea if ministry of pinball sells alot of pins. But the prices are so high, i cant imagine this can go on like this.

8k euro for a LE... 5,5k euro for a pro.

Alot of money in a tiny niche marcet.

#102 9 years ago
    Quoted from rustybomber79:

I have to second the comments from earlier. Stern needs to have their codes done before selling a game, I mean seriously what is that all about? People pay thousands of dollars and it not even complete.......

Pinball has never worked that way, and most likely never will. It's impossible to know all the tweaks and fixes that need to be done to the code if it's not being played by people outside of the shop.
    It's not an easy thing to do, obviously, or JJP would have done it liked they claimed they would in the beginning.

EDIT: Well maybe in the EM days

#103 9 years ago
    Quoted from drsfmd:

I've played a bunch of recent Stern titles, and I've found them all to be lacking. Good for a couple of games in an arcade, but certainly nothing I'd want to own....

Quoted from drsfmd:

Maybe I'm missing something then. I haven't had a chance to play Metallica yet, but I think I've played all of the other recent releases, and I haven't found one that I thought was worth more than a couple of plays....

If a game isn't fun and original, I really don't care how deep the ruleset is. A game needs to entertain me first, and challenge me second.....

..They all feel the same too me and have the same basic layout....

Quoted from drsfmd:

What have they done that's innovative? The playfields of late 90's B/W's were more advanced....

Quoted from drsfmd:

See my earlier comment. Better rules are irrelevant if the games are shit.

Quoted from drsfmd:

Aside from one I inherited, the EMs in my collection are local Craigslist pickups. As far as my personal favorites... TAF, MM, CV, AFM, RFM. CBW is pretty high on my list too, but it doesn't get much love around here.

First thing - extract your foot from your mouth and use it to take you to go play a Metallica. You won't be disappointed, its a wonderful game.. And if you don't like Metallica, the problem is you, not the game. (I'm only half-kidding with that last part)

Second - I have to somewhat question the merit of everything you say at this point. You mentioned a few times in this thread not being entertained by the the playfield layouts on Stern games and yet when you list your top 5 B/W games there are 3 basic fan layouts in there. I agree that they are great games (MM and AFM are right up near the top of my list as well) but its not a ground-breaking playfield that's making them great. So I'm not really sure if you yourself are clear on what makes you like those games better..

Can you give some specific examples of what features on those playfields put them ahead of recent Sterns in your mind?

#104 9 years ago
    Quoted from EricR:

Can you give some specific examples of what features on those playfields put them ahead of recent Sterns in your mind?

Why? Who cares. Stern is doing just fine. many of their games are now top titles. There will always be those stuck in the past and those that just don't want change. Just leave them be.

#105 9 years ago

"Should Stern seek a new business model?"

#106 9 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

If overseas is crucial to their sales then I don't see how that is gonna work out. Prices goes up, numbers will keep declining.
    Getting a taste of that with TBL and what it will cost to ship it back to the states.
    Fickle buyers and becoming more discriminating.

Isn't TBL going to be build in the states?

#107 9 years ago
    Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Isn't TBL going to be build in the states?

Looks like 8500 for us here and shipped from Illinois. Assuming it includes sending containers over here?

#108 9 years ago
    Quoted from Rferullo:

Everything today is networked and computer based. I'd like to see a new platform that connects to the internet and allows for online tournaments and auto updates. Add more RGB LEDs and a big screen.

Totally. How cool would it be to put a camera in where you could quickly switch to video chat with someone you were playing against online. You would need the monitor of course and a microphone, but you could have multiplayer games with people all over the world.

I think Stern has made some great games. The market for remade classics would play out quickly I think or at least not be able to sell in high numbers.

#109 9 years ago
    Quoted from n0s4atu:

This is the most bizarre thread I think I've read on Pinside. The OP posts asking if Stern should change their business model and then only talks about not liking their games? Huh?

You're reading what you want to read out of that. I'm saying that if they can reproduce some classic titles and presell huge numbers of them without having to do any R&D, while interspersing those releases with some new releases that's a good thing both for Stern and for the hobby. Turning out 3-4 new titles a year where most of them aren't very good and a few are excellent isn't a good long term plan.

Quoted from chessiv:

On a serious note Keith Elwin posted earnings from tron and ACDC on route, they made over 12k each. I didn't think you could earn that much routing pins these days.

I hadn't heard that. That's pretty impressive.

Quoted from Rarehero:

You're officially the worst person of all time ever. Congrats. drsfmd, eh? Short for Dr. Stupidf*ck M.D.?

I can't help it if you have terrible taste in music. There's a very limited audience for music related releases, unless people are willing to overlook the music and have a great pin underneath. AC/DC was passe 30 years ago, and everything they have ever done sounds the same... Rush... just can't stand them. Pretentious prog rock with mediocre songwriting and musicians who aren't nearly as good as the people who like them think they are.

#110 9 years ago
    Quoted from drsfmd:

I can't help it if you have terrible taste in music. There's a very limited audience for music related releases, unless people are willing to overlook the music and have a great pin underneath. AC/DC was passe 30 years ago, and everything they have ever done sounds the same... Rush... just can't stand them. Pretentious prog rock with mediocre songwriting and musicians who aren't nearly as good as the people who like them think they are.

You're awful...just awful. Enjoy not enjoying anything.

#111 9 years ago

this has to be the worst thread ever. limited market for ac/dc? is that why its the best selling pin stern has ever had and still selling at this time. this is the worlds largest, most epic fail, troll thread in the history of the web. op, go get laid. no, really, do something to get the negative energy bug removed from your butt. its pinball, its fun. try it some time.

#112 9 years ago

AC/DC F'ing Rocks! Disagreement with this statement puts you on the bad end of the DB'ery scale.

#113 9 years ago
    Quoted from drsfmd:

Rush... just can't stand them. Pretentious prog rock with mediocre songwriting and musicians who aren't nearly as good as the people who like them think they are.

The fact that you don't like them is cool because it's your opinion. Now, as musicians Geddy and Neil are excellent musicians and Alex is very good. If you're just saying they aren't that good to troll, enjoy. If not you you really have no concept of what a good musician is.

#114 9 years ago

Neil Is arguably one of, if not the best, drummer of all time.

#115 9 years ago
    Quoted from bmunn1:

Neil Is arguably one of, if not the best, drummer of all time.

Second rate and decidedly mediocre. Maybe the best Canada has produced, but that's about as good as being the second fattest girl at the prom.

#116 9 years ago
    Quoted from drsfmd:

Second rate and decidedly mediocre. Maybe the best Canada has produced, but that's about as good as being the second fattest girl at the prom.

Who would you say is first rate? Will Ferrell?

#117 9 years ago
    Quoted from drsfmd:

I've played a bunch of recent Stern titles, and I've found them all to be lacking. Good for a couple of games in an arcade, but certainly nothing I'd want to own.
    That said, Stern has the capacity to build in volume, and a reasonably good track record of reliability. Should the continue down the path they have started with the Medieval Madness remake, and stick to reproducing classic titles for a while? It might enable them to generate more revenue to hire some new designers for future original titles.

What planet do you live in

#118 9 years ago
    Quoted from bmunn1:

Who would you say is first rate? Will Ferrell?

There are a hundred who are better, but my personal favorite is Mickey Hart.

#119 9 years ago

> Everything today is networked and computer based. I'd like to see a new platform that connects to the internet and allows for online tournaments and auto updates.

I've seen this mentioned a couple different times... NEVERRR going to happen.

#120 9 years ago
    Quoted from drsfmd:

There are a hundred who are better, but my personal favorite is Mickey Hart.

Meh.... Peart, Palmer and Bonham all way better.

#121 9 years ago

When I first got into pinball back in 2000, Bally/Williams had just closed. Prices started going up on existing games and the parts hunt was intense. I mention this because Stern was the only other player in the game and the games being produced for the next few years were not that strong theme or build wise and I think people thought that this was as good as it would ever get, but I have to tell you that Stern has absolutely turned the corner and even though they are not perfect, Stern is making some great games IMHO!

At one point people were tripping over each other for B/W A games, but I think we are at a point where folks are asking themselves "should I buy an older B/W game or put the cash into a NIB Stern?"... Looking at pictures of game rooms, posts on Pinside and such, it's obvious to me that Stern is making a lot of people happy and don't need to change much at all.

Here's to Stern getting even better in the future! Cheers!

Rob Bell
    Robsgameroom.com

#122 9 years ago
    Quoted from Rferullo:

I'd like to see them mix it up and do a widebody. Maybe use some newer technology to bring them up to today's standards. Everything today is networked and computer based. I'd like to see a new platform that connects to the internet and allows for online tournaments and auto updates. Add more RGB LEDs and a big screen.

Pinball is old school I think you need this.

http://virtuapin.net

#123 9 years ago
    Quoted from drsfmd:

7 out of 8 of your pins are terrible & Stern is doing fine without you. Bye bye.

#124 9 years ago
    Quoted from dt3:

> Everything today is networked and computer based. I'd like to see a new platform that connects to the internet and allows for online tournaments and auto updates.
    I've seen this mentioned a couple different times... NEVERRR going to happen.

I hope JJP brings this to reality - shouldn't be that tough considering the LAN port is already there.

#125 9 years ago
    Quoted from drsfmd:

Ok, trolling. Enjoy =)

#126 9 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

7 out of 8 of your pins are terrible & Stern is doing fine without you. Bye bye.

Don't be so harsh, it's only 6 of 8.

#127 9 years ago
    Quoted from bmunn1:

Meh.... Peart, Palmer and Bonham all way better.

Bonham might be in contention. The other two couldn't carry Micky's sweat towel.

#128 9 years ago

ACDC Music is fine, pin isn't to my liking but to each their own.

#129 9 years ago

Wow. OP got -48
    That has got to be a new record. Lol.

#130 9 years ago

Gavin Harrison, Danny Carey, and Stewart Copeland are all better drummers. Gavin Harrison is probably the best drummer in the world today.

#131 9 years ago
    Quoted from drsfmd:

And I'm still waiting for the Mozart pin!

#132 9 years ago

For you all to enjoy...

1 week later
    #133 9 years ago
    Quoted from mountaingamer:

I hope JJP brings this to reality - shouldn't be that tough considering the LAN port is already there.

It shouldnt be that hard for me to turn this shopping cart into a car considering that the wheels are already there.

#134 9 years ago

I think Stern should build pins where you wear a helmet and nudge by blinking, and instead of flipper buttons you put sensors in your back pockets and you tighten up your butt cheeks to flip. This way you can text and take selfies while you're playing pinball. Innovation!

There are 134 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/should-stern-seek-a-new-business-model/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.