(Topic ID: 125954)

Should Stern consider a retheme of Mustang?

By PEN

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 49 posts
  • 31 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by gamera9
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Retheme Mustang?”

• Yes 21 votes
    30%
  • No 42 votes
    59%
  • Who cares PEN, don't be a D 8 votes
    11%

(71 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1846 (resized).JPG
ferris (resized).jpg
IMG_1872 (resized).JPG
before-after-playfield (resized).jpg
IMG_1875 (resized).JPG
fg to s.jpg
m to g.jpg
image.jpg
#1 8 years ago

This is not meant to be a bash on Stern, Mustang, or owners of the game. I was just thinking that the game is good, but suffers from a theme many people are indifferent to. Regardless, I may end up buying one someday. It seems like a retheme would be perfect for the game, much like FG.

#2 8 years ago

Was FG re-themed because of the same reason....my guess is no..............Joey

#3 8 years ago

It would be interesting to know what restrictions Ford placed on the game that limited the limitless creativity that could have been applied. At least that's the only thing i can think of that could have stopped it from being themed about driving a Mustang from 1965-today collecting things in some crazy time machine adventure.

Junkyard meets DE Time Machine

-c

#4 8 years ago

I think they should move on. Make something new.

#5 8 years ago
Quoted from Breaking_Dad:

Was FG re-themed because of the same reason....my guess is no..............Joey

I agree, but that does not mean that it would not be a good idea.

#6 8 years ago

They could retheme it Charger or Camaro.

#8 8 years ago
Quoted from PEN:

This is not meant to be a bash on Stern, Mustang, or owners of the game. I was just thinking that the game is good, but suffers from a theme many people are indifferent to. Regardless, I may end up buying one someday. It seems like a retheme would be perfect for the game, much like FG.

Are you kidding me, the game is GREAT the way it is. Corvet has a Corvet game, Viper has Night Driver so why would they change Mustang. Besides I don't think Ford would let them. Dumb question if you ask me.

#9 8 years ago

Being a car guy I'd love to see a Camaro game. BUT a different game.

#10 8 years ago

I don't see why they don't make a Camaro and Challenger version. I see a lot of new versions of those cars on the road and everyone loves the ones from the 60's and 70's.

#11 8 years ago

Nah. The game doesn't have any interesting toys or features. Why saddle another license with that restriction?

#12 8 years ago

Like the game or not you have to admit that the MB risk/reward is a cool feature of the game. You could argue that is just the code but you still have to drop the targets to hit and also hit the target behind the drops (gear 5 and 6) to add another ball and larger jacks. Those drops are major risk/reward. The way they changed up the flipper angles too is pretty cool and adds for some additional challenge to the game too.

I also think that the ramp is pretty cool on how that one shot can have the ball go into 3 different places. It's a plain PF game but having a bunch of toy's doesn't make a game good or bad. With the rules of this game it's really got a lot to offer.

I also don't think that a Camaro version or a Challenger version would be that bad of an idea but let's be honest. How many people would buy the game if it was Camaro or Challenger that would buy the game as a Mustang? That number has got to be low. IMHO, each main US car manufacturer has their own game now so I say they should move along off the single car themes and do a more general car theme type of game if they want to stick with cars. But let's be honest here, most pinheads aren't exactly car guys either.... I bet 90%+ of pinheads pay someone to work on their cars. It's like trying to sell a pinball machine to a bunch of people on SVTperformance.com. You tell them to buy a $4K pinball machine and they would laugh you out of the place saying you could get _____ for your car for that.

#13 8 years ago

I always find it crazy that in fairly generic themes like this they don't offer multiple versions. It make complete sense to offer a rethemed Camaro version, Challenger, etc. But even if they didn't want to change Make, a F-150 truck version could be available, GT40, how about a classic Thunderbird version, etc.

Smaller markets than Mustang sure, but markets nonetheless.

#14 8 years ago

Don't forget that Ford did it to hype the 50th birthday of the Mustang also. Look what they did as a promo stunt back in 65 for the "new" Mustang. That was pretty cool.

#15 8 years ago

I'd prefer Stern not get into making re-themable games in general. I don't think the fact that Mustang can be swapped out with any other model car makes the theme very strong (although, it's a car, what are you going to do).

Compare The Rolling Stones, generic game #27 you could throw any band into, to ACDC which has a strong theme that could not easily be swapped out. The theme is so much better when it's fully integrated into a game.

#16 8 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Besides I don't think Ford would let them

I have no idea how these sorts of things work, but I would be surprised if the licensing agreement put the rights to the playfield layout in the hands of Ford. This would open up all kinds of possible future litigation when the licensor thinks that a future Stern game design is "too close" to the design of their licensed pin.

Otherwise, wouldn't Marvel have already filed suit for re-theming Spider-man into Star Trek?

#17 8 years ago

Stop it....................Joeyimage.jpgimage.jpg

#18 8 years ago

They should make it a P-51 Mustang edition. That'd be awesome. Weathered looking airframe metal with rivets cabinet artwork. A P-51 model on the spinning display. Some nose artwork somewhere. And the music is filled with 40's Big Band sound. I'd buy one of those if I had some cash laying around.

#19 8 years ago

Probably not but my 2 cents if they retheme pins I would vote for Met or AC/DC, TWD , unfortunetly can't have any in the house with young kids etc.

Plenty of choices out there for substitution. I can't own them all anyway. I'm sure I'm missing out on the play of those themes however I love my Mustang.

#20 8 years ago

Game is great. One of the best Stern's in the last several years.

The theme is fine too. Just because many pinheads are too nerdy to accept a car theme (or sports themes) doesn't mean it's a bad theme. I like the fact that it's different, and not another super hero or musician based theme.

Quoted from Rarehero:

Nah. The game doesn't have any interesting toys or features. Why saddle another license with that restriction?

Panzerfreak? Is that you?

#21 8 years ago
Quoted from woody24:

They should make it a P-51 Mustang edition. That'd be awesome. Weathered looking airframe metal with rivets cabinet artwork. A P-51 model on the spinning display. Some nose artwork somewhere. And the music is filled with 40's Big Band sound. I'd buy one of those if I had some cash laying around.

I know what you are trying to say but did you realize that their is a P-51 Roush mustang? I bet all but maybe a handful of people on this board wouldn't know that. It was basically a Stage3 but had a fully built engine with a TVS blower instead of the M-90 blower. Pretty mean car for the time - http://www.supercars.net/cars/3958.html

The 2010 Roush Stage 3 got the same treatment as the P-51 and is why it is one of the more desirable Stage 3's of that body style. It's like the 03-04 cobra's in that you can make some stupid power safely (due to the built motor) with just a pulley swap and a tune.

#22 8 years ago

They could make it a horse-themed pin. No name change required.

#23 8 years ago

No, personally I have no love for the Mustang theme but there are a lot of people that do. The game is awesome for game play has a good layout and is very underrated because because get caught up on theme. Yes, would have the exact same game sold better if it was Fast and Furious or some other licensed them sure, but it is what it is move along and lets get out the next best thing.

#24 8 years ago

so what you're asking is that like what they did with family guy:
fg to s.jpgfg to s.jpg

should be done with mustang?
m to g.jpgm to g.jpg

#25 8 years ago

For the design team I think it would nice to see Mustang get rethemed into a generic streetracer themed game. Not that they need the extra work, but more as recognition that the game is underrated and deserves more credit. Whether that will happen depends on demand. Mustang is still on the line, so some demand is there.

#26 8 years ago
Quoted from canea:

I think they should move on. Make something new.

I agree with you if a retheme impedes a new game. However, I don't think it has to.

I like the game, the theme is not horrible, I would buy it for less money or the same money rethemed.

#27 8 years ago

It's called pinball browser. My mustang feels like a racing rock n roll game. Works for me!

#28 8 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

It's called pinball browser. My mustang feels like a racing rock n roll game. Works for me!

Yep, TWD I have has improved from the browser, it didn't put the comic art on it though.

#29 8 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

I know what you are trying to say but did you realize that their is a P-51 Roush mustang? I bet all but maybe a handful of people on this board wouldn't know that. It was basically a Stage3 but had a fully built engine with a TVS blower instead of the M-90 blower. Pretty mean car for the time - http://www.supercars.net/cars/3958.html
The 2010 Roush Stage 3 got the same treatment as the P-51 and is why it is one of the more desirable Stage 3's of that body style. It's like the 03-04 cobra's in that you can make some stupid power safely (due to the built motor) with just a pulley swap and a tune.

Few years ago I took my '06 GT Mustang with Matte Black racing stripes on Black to the local Ford dealer for an oil change. I've always been proud of my car. People always say I'm trying to show off when I give it a little more gas than necessary, since I've added a CAI and Borla Cat-back. But always say that I'm just showing off to myself, and could care less what others think, because I know they don't care, and probably saying "jack@ss" under their breath.

But anyways, after the Ford employee who brought it back around after washing it gets out, he tells me "Nice car. Love the sound." I say thanks, and look up, and over in the corner of their bay, they have a P-51 Roush that another customer brought in. I almost trip because I'm already getting into my car. I stumble back out, and said, "you have a P-51 Rouch over there." Employee, "Oh, yeah. I guess we do." So I went over to have a closer look.

So maybe a joint Mustang Edition. Ford Mustang Rouch P-51, P-51 Edition.

#30 8 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Game is great. One of the best Stern's in the last several years.
The theme is fine too. Just because many pinheads are too nerdy to accept a car theme (or sports themes) doesn't mean it's a bad theme. I like the fact that it's different, and not another super hero or musician based theme.

Panzerfreak? Is that you?

Panzer is a good natured friend, he can take your light jab.

#31 8 years ago

For the record....in level of importance of a pin.

Rules, game play, art, toys....theme.

TWD is my dream theme, but I will be looking for something else if the rules don't end up to my liking.

#32 8 years ago

Its a fun game, but not a fan of the middle part. That should have been some brutal, shaking engine with multiple shots to shoot at and two big exhaustions that shoot balls back.

#33 8 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Game is great. Just because many pinheads are too nerdy to accept a car theme (or sports themes) doesn't mean it's a bad theme.

That has everything to do with why I think a retheme would be cool. I don't think the theme is nerdy at all, however it does not matter what I think. If Stern can sell additional games after the bulk of the work has been done on something, that would be good for Stern.

I will be honest though. I would not be super excited if a game I already owned was rethemed. I don't believe they will do it anyway, it was just a thought.

#35 8 years ago
Quoted from PEN:

That has everything to do with why I think a retheme would be cool. I don't think the theme is nerdy at all, however it does not matter what I think. If Stern can sell additional games after the bulk of the work has been done on something, that would be good for Stern.
I will be honest though. I would not be super excited if a game I already owned was rethemed. I don't believe they will do it anyway, it was just a thought.

I never said Mustang was a nerdy theme.

I said the opposite. It's most pinheads that are too nerdy to accept a sports car as a cool theme.

#36 8 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I never said Mustang was a nerdy theme.
I said the opposite. It's most pinheads that are too nerdy to accept a sports car as a cool theme.

It does not matter what you or I think ^ "most pinheads" not being into the theme all that much is the point.

You are correct though Rob, I stated that wrong.

#37 8 years ago

Re them IM instead!

#38 8 years ago

Yeah, I think this is one of the biggest 180 machines made. Looks as though everyone hated the theme initially, and the "look" of the layout, but playing this game is a lot of fun, and... it's a decent game.

I'm glad Trudeau is bringing innovation to new stern designs, when so many are rehashes of old. I'm not a fan of WWE at all, theme or the upper PF, but I get that the ring would be a decent hook on route, and I applaud the attempt at new and innovation with that.

#39 8 years ago

I have jo idea what the costs of retheming a game would be for Stern, or if they thought it was worth it to do with FG (It was from my perspective)

I thought IM would have been sweet rethemed as a zombie game before they designed TWD.

Imagine...Instead of the iron Monger, a zombie rising from the grave.

#40 8 years ago

Shoot, IM is dang near a retheme of Austin Powers already. Never realized how close they were till I finally played an AP in person.

#41 8 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

Shoot, IM is dang near a retheme of Austin Powers already. Never realized how close they were till I finally played an AP in person.

Hmmm. They both have the common left ramp/right ramp fan type layout, but I would not go as far as "retheme"

#42 8 years ago

The theme of this game really killed any chance of decent sales outside the United States. Most of the countries that buy pinball machines in significant numbers also have "their own" car brands (even if many no longer manufacture locally). A game themed on a very American car is not going to appeal in those markets. Here in Australia for example, the number of people who will be attracted by the Mustang theme is minuscule. Stern really should have had a generic car theme for exports.

#43 8 years ago

I actually would pick one up, HUO, I think. I think I saw it as a big Ford advertisement initially, other than just a theme, I think that is why I at least was turned off.

#44 8 years ago

I think it is fine as it is and theme is nicely integrated into the gameplay. I think over time, people get over the theme and come to appreciate the game for what it is. I don't think Mustang will be any different.

#45 8 years ago

I like playing Mustang, but if it was Iron Maiden I would buy it.......there I said it

6 years later
#46 2 years ago
Quoted from PEN:

Stern may not have but Reby Hardy & myself did it 2x!
Matt Hardy's Expedition of Gold: https://www.thisweekinpinball.com/matt-hardys-expedition-of-gold-pinball-machine-interviews-with-reby-hardy-and-brian-soares/

Ferris Bueller's Day Off: https://www.thisweekinpinball.com/revealed-ferris-buellers-day-off-pinball-by-brian-soares-and-reby-hardy-interviews-pics-and-more/

ferris (resized).jpgferris (resized).jpgIMG_1846 (resized).JPGIMG_1846 (resized).JPGbefore-after-playfield (resized).jpgbefore-after-playfield (resized).jpgIMG_1872 (resized).JPGIMG_1872 (resized).JPGIMG_1875 (resized).JPGIMG_1875 (resized).JPG
#47 2 years ago

Ferris Beuller is the best re-theme I've seen. Amazing job, and highly desirable to nearly everyone.

Mustang could also be re-themed as The A-Team, Smokey and the Bandit, Knight Rider, Dukes of Hazard...or even Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. Anything where a motor vehicle is the main feature of the show. Or not, it's such a generic layout anything could fit.

And almost anything is better than Mustang.

#48 2 years ago

Not one theme u mentioned is better than mustang and I'm not a car guy either.

#49 2 years ago

Not a good game to begin with. Mustang theme makes this pin better.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Wichita, KS
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

13,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Calgary, AB
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 27.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/should-stern-consider-a-retheme-of-mustang?hl=anathematize and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.