(Topic ID: 257778)

Should Spooky Make More Rick and Morty? (If they could)

By SantaEatsCheese

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 88 posts
  • 54 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Lounge
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Should Spooky Make More Than 750 Rick And Morty (If Allowed)”

• Yes 64 votes
    32%
  • No 133 votes
    68%

(197 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

B7546A54-578D-41C6-8659-2425E93187B3 (resized).png
3jzr7c (resized).jpg
8E916C57-5B80-4E19-BA17-1EE9DF14BC6A (resized).jpeg
D577F15E-1B5B-4F6B-82C6-A65E1A84B175 (resized).jpeg
219ea97e423e3d202df9a78b5d06093e479283c1 (resized).jpg

There are 88 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 4 years ago

Assuming the licensor allowed for more Rick and Morty production, should Spooky ramp up production and make more of this pin?

As you all know, Spooky sold out of all 750 Rick and Morty pins in under 4 hours. This was driven by, among other things, a Fear Of Missing Out (FOMO) due to the promised limited number of machines. The owner of Spooky has publically stated that only 750 would ever be made, and doubled down saying that if they were ever going to make more Rick and Morty, it would be a completely different pin and there would be no LE/VAULT re-release. It has also been stated (unconfirmed) that the Rick and Morty License is limited to 750 pins, and they couldn’t make anymore if they wanted to. Spooky has limited production facilities, and has stated that 750 machines would take 18 months for them to make, and that they didn’t want to ramp up staff only to have to lay them off.

On the flip side, with the FOMO there are individuals who have already stated that they wanted one, but missed their opportunity to buy one due to sleeping, didn’t realize the order window, or they thought they wouldn’t sell out. The argument is that if production is limited, there is the possibility of the first wave of owners flipping their pins for profit, when that money should be going to Spooky. I’ve seen this argument in several threads, and wanted to put it to a consensus vote.

Assuming the licensor allowed for more Rick and Morty production, should Spooky ramp up production and make more of this pin?

Disclaimer: I snagged a pre-order.
219ea97e423e3d202df9a78b5d06093e479283c1 (resized).jpg219ea97e423e3d202df9a78b5d06093e479283c1 (resized).jpg

#2 4 years ago

Do you want to piss off the people who already bought with the idea they were able to get in on a limited run machine, make spooky look like they aren't true to their word, require them to ramp up production capabilities and staff that they won't need once the run is done, and prevent spooky from being able to bring additional machines to market for an even longer amount of time? Then sure.

#3 4 years ago

Spooky wouldn't ever go against their word on production quantity, so this thread is absolutely pointless.

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

this thread is absolutely pointless.

I just wanted this mentioned a second time.

#5 4 years ago

BEST R&M THREAD EVER!

Will Sataneatscheese be our most prolific R&M thread starter? I think he's in the lead!

Also guys, not sure if you heard, he snagged one! Boom!

#6 4 years ago

No, at this point the primary focus should be maximizing the retention percentage of original 750 pre-orders. The first steps of taking care of the fan base and the fan base taking care of them are done. No need to rock that boat. Now comes the time to deliver a solid product to the customers.

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

BEST R&M THREAD EVER!
Will Sataneatscheese be our most prolific R&M thread starter? I think he's in the lead!

Probably... although this is my 1st Rick and Morty thread.

For the record, I am totally against Spooky making more, but kept reading it in the threads that more should be made. I wanted to know if it was just me that thought that was a bad idea... I'm not alone.

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Probably... although this is my 1st Rick and Morty thread.
For the record, I am totally against Spooky making more, but kept reading it in the threads that more should be made. I wanted to know if it was just me that thought that was a bad idea... I'm not alone.

People who want to buy one and have FOMO would say yes.

People who snagged one already would say no.

Those of us who don't care will just whine about another R&M thread.

Why you thought you needed a 10th Rick and Morty thread to figure that out I have no idea.

RICK AND MORTY!

#9 4 years ago

In today's post... we show you how to farm down votes.

#10 4 years ago

And if people got the game and flipped it for profit, saying that money should go to spooky is ridiculous. Anyone can sell their games for whatever they like and once spooky has their original purchase paid that is none of their business...

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Gotta get that achievement somehow.

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from Potatoloco:

No, at this point the primary focus should be maximizing the retention percentage of original 750 pre-orders. The first steps of taking care of the fan base and the fan base taking care of them are done. No need to rock that boat. Now comes the time to deliver a solid product to the customers.

The retention percentage is and will always be 100%. These are orders and not pre-orders or deposits. I get your point about delivering a solid product... I have faith they will. They seem to always do the right thing (with the possible exception of their radio call-in like methodology of giving away prizes on their podcast to the nth email, but that’s their choice).

#13 4 years ago

Only 750 Spooky! You promised!!!
D577F15E-1B5B-4F6B-82C6-A65E1A84B175 (resized).jpegD577F15E-1B5B-4F6B-82C6-A65E1A84B175 (resized).jpeg

#14 4 years ago

750 that's it!
So now you want spooky to sell a product that wont be delivered to a customer for 2-4 years from now? Or did you just want to start another Rick And Morty thread?

#15 4 years ago

Should everyone win in the lottery?

Should men be able to bear children?

Should there be world peace?

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

Should men be able to bear children?

Only if the bear gets a say in the process.

#17 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Side pole. Why are you only able to downvote one time??

#18 4 years ago

Only if they made an all new RM pin: RM2.

#19 4 years ago

Assuming the licensor allowed for more Rick and Morty production
[quoted image]

NO licensor wants less money for their franchise. That 750 was clearly determined by Spooky. Go in to any pop culture store and you will see Rick & Morty merch everywhere.

Will Spooky make more? If they want to capitalizes on the best license they have ever had they will. The demand for a Rick & Morty pin is probably 4 times 750 if not more.

#20 4 years ago
Quoted from Alwaysbrokenpins:

Will Spooky make more? If they want to capitalizes on the best license they have ever had they will. The demand for a Rick & Morty pin is probably 4 times 750 if not more.

Four times? Why not eight times?

or maybe 20 times?!?!?!

#21 4 years ago

Rick and Morty is an incredibly popular license property as proven by a 2 day sellout of the pinball, a 2 hour sellout of the project pinball auction and a dozen threads on pinside in the past day or so.

The concept that Spooky would limit some thing like Rick & Morty to the same run as Alice Cooper is utterly laughable.

Congrats to everyone that won the Spooky pre-pay lottery. Spooky's inability to understand the value of the license / inability to fill the marketing demands has doubled a $1000 reserve space value in 24 hours. Might end up being worth $3k when they begin shipping.

#22 4 years ago

Rick and Morty is an incredibly popular license property as proven by a 2 day sellout of the pinball, a 2 hour sellout of the project pinball auction and a dozen threads on pinside in the past day or so.
The concept that Spooky would limit some thing like Rick & Morty to the same run as Alice Cooper is utterly laughable.
Congrats to everyone that won the Spooky pre-pay lottery. Spooky's inability to understand the value of the license / inability to fill the marketing demands has doubled a $1000 reserve space value in 24 hours. Might end up being worth $3k when they begin shipping.

give it 6 months and a few more titles from Stern, CGC, and JJP and all this will fizzle out and people will be selling spots at a loss. Happens year after year.

#23 4 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

give it 6 months and a few more titles from Stern, CGC, and JJP and all this will fizzle out and people will be selling spots at a loss. Happens year after year.

Im going to assume this is not the first time you have been wrong in your life?

#24 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Four times? Why not eight times?
or maybe 20 times?!?!?!

I agree. How about they shoot for a production of 20,271 and knock Addams Family out of the running for most produced pinball machine?

Heaven forbid they aim high and make a great profit simultaneously filling marketing demands; then reinvest that profit into their company and be able to produce better products and acquire a new properties.

You know who doesn't want them to do that? Jersey Jack and Stern.

#25 4 years ago

I’ll answer your question, but I’ll wait for the next thread to do so.

#26 4 years ago

I agree. How about they shoot for a production of 20,271 and knock Addams Family out of the running for most produced pinball machine?
Heaven forbid they aim high and make a great profit simultaneously filling marketing demands; then reinvest that profit into their company and be able to produce better products and acquire a new properties.

I don't think you understand the cash,risk and logistics involved in ramping up production like this! It's not a smart move at all for spooky. They are playing it safe and not being greedy and having fun. And for that I respect them.

#27 4 years ago

Why do so many Spooky groupies desperately want Spooky to attempt to compete directly with Jersey Jack and Stern when the guys who run Spooky have been abundantly clear that they have zero interest in doing that, and just want to be the best Spooky they can be?

#28 4 years ago

You have a photo of the playfield in your original post.

Do you really want another one of these?

#29 4 years ago

Spooky kind of blew it. They should have done similar to Woz. Bloodsucker version, then blue blood or something version. Charlie left a lot of money on the table. Could have made 2500 units easy, would take 3 years, but would sell.

#30 4 years ago

Spooky could pull a Dutch Pinball, better to see if they are successful building what they promised. It will be a long time before the first machine rolls out.
It would be better if they had stock ready to purchase, this buying smoke and mirrors hasn't played out well in the past.

#31 4 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

Spooky could pull a Dutch Pinball

Spooky has delivered every game they sold for years. This is practically slanderous.

#32 4 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Spooky kind of blew it. They should have done similar to Woz. Bloodsucker version, then blue blood or something version. Charlie left a lot of money on the table. Could have made 2500 units easy, would take 3 years, but would sell.

You should probably start your own mom and pop pinball company and show everybody how it's done.

Pinball is easy!

#33 4 years ago

Should Stern make more Tron's and add all the LE features?

I figured this was a good thread to ask this

#34 4 years ago

You know a game is great when a major selling point is how few of them exist. Just like Team Pinball's Mafia. Best game of all time.

#35 4 years ago
Quoted from russdx:

I don't think you understand the cash,risk and logistics involved in ramping up production like this! It's not a smart move at all for spooky. They are playing it safe and not being greedy and having fun. And for that I respect them.

And I don't thing you understand what profit is if you immediately equate it with greed. There is playing it safe and there is playing it stupid. Do you think it was safe move to move forward on Alice Cooper pinball machine? Personally I am not seeing limiting your profit margin by 1/2 and pissing off hundreds of people that will be forced to the secondary market if they want your product as a "safe move". They will have constant cash as pins are built and released to build further units; and likely have more in their account today than they ever have... so investment cash is should not be a factor.

What is with people and the concept that profit is Greed? How about meeting basic marketing demands for the hobby? 750 sold out in a day? If you think profit is greed man will you have plenty of opportunities to lecture people on "greed" when they are flipping their reserve spots at $2-2.5k. (<-- and don't get me wrong God bless those capitalistic bastards that see a clear profit opportunity and take it.)

#36 4 years ago

Why can we never simply appreciate the company did the Right thing in an Honest way in the best interest of the company and the customer? Waiting 4 Years for Anything would NEVER prove successful and completely stunt the growth of this company and its future creativity. Just my opinion. I applaud Spooky for managing expectations for the highest probability of success.

#37 4 years ago

No. ~18 months of tying up the production line is enough. I want to see whatever they're going to make next, too.

#38 4 years ago

I agree 100%. Ricky & Morty will be around in 3 years and still be a cult classic.

A two week ago announcement, immediate 1 day sellout, a reserve spot sales beginning a week before Christmas (when everyone is either short on cash or distracted by the holiday.) I have a lot of respect for the Spooky folks, but I respectfully think there were a few pretty major poor decisions in this launch.

Congrats to everyone who got a spot.

#39 4 years ago

think there were a few pretty major poor decisions in this launch.
Congrats to everyone who got a spot.

Sold out in 3 hours. Yep that would be a poor launch no doubt......

#40 4 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

Spooky could pull a Dutch Pinball, better to see if they are successful building what they promised. It will be a long time before the first machine rolls out.
It would be better if they had stock ready to purchase, this buying smoke and mirrors hasn't played out well in the past.

This is absolutely absurd. Never historically have i read a more misinformed comment. We have never failed to deliver a single machine EVER. ACNC was delayed but we built 150 TNAs while it was delayed. 20-30 Rick and Mortys will leave this shop in January you can take that to the bank. When we finish all 750 i am going to personally come back here and reply to this ridiculous claim.

#41 4 years ago
Quoted from SpookyLuke:

This is absolutely absurd. Never historically have i read a more misinformed comment. We have never failed to deliver a single machine EVER. ACNC was delayed but we built 150 TNAs while it was delayed. 20-30 Rick and Mortys will leave this shop in January you can take that to the bank. When we finish all 750 i am going to personally come back here and reply to this ridiculous claim.

Mic drop......

#42 4 years ago

No. Spooky is set up to make so many games a week without hiring new people that they would have to let go of if things slow down.

They know what they are doing. When the economy goes to shit again, they are also set up to weather that I believe.

Let's see how that will affect other companies with huge overhead when the demand for new pinball machines goes down like during the last recession.

#43 4 years ago
Quoted from SpookyLuke:

Agreed.

#44 4 years ago

You are asking if Spooky should go back on their word and destroy any credibility they have built up for short term gain? No.

Their next pin would never sell out. The one after that would never sell out. They would say limited run and people would say "I'll let you know after I play it" because if there is no limit, people don't jump. Artificial or not, I'm sure a lot of people wouldn't have jumped if they could have waited 6 months to play it and see first. But don't worry, plenty of people will want to jump after they see it. No way 750 new owners will all love the game.

#45 4 years ago

I wouldn’t see this from Spooky

Stern however has done this twice so far...

#46 4 years ago

It would be a great thing for Spooky's future if demand and prices shot up on this game. Do you think Stern LE's would sell as well if it weren't for games like like Tron LE and ACDC BIBLE that weren't able to meet demand and shot up in price. Whenever a new LE is released there's a frenzy to buy because there's always the chance it could be the next "Tron LE". The same might be said for Spooky games going forward if this game ends up being a hit... If you always built enough games to satisfy demand than this would never happen.

#47 4 years ago

Maybe they could make more but they have to shut down the lines and build MMRs too.

#48 4 years ago
Quoted from 6S3NC3:

Im going to assume this is not the first time you have been wrong in your life?

LOL. you will see, look at historical facts that you can obtain from this very forum.

#49 4 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

8E916C57-5B80-4E19-BA17-1EE9DF14BC6A (resized).jpeg8E916C57-5B80-4E19-BA17-1EE9DF14BC6A (resized).jpeg
#50 4 years ago

This site reminds me of the old proverb "Better to remain quiet and let people thing you a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt".

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
Trade
$ 399.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Bent Mods
Decorations
8,800 (OBO)
There are 88 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/should-spooky-make-more-rick-and-morty-if-they-could?hl=potatoloco and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.