(Topic ID: 257778)

Should Spooky Make More Rick and Morty? (If they could)

By SantaEatsCheese

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 88 posts
  • 54 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Lounge
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Should Spooky Make More Than 750 Rick And Morty (If Allowed)”

• Yes 64 votes
    32%
  • No 133 votes
    68%

(197 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

B7546A54-578D-41C6-8659-2425E93187B3 (resized).png
3jzr7c (resized).jpg
8E916C57-5B80-4E19-BA17-1EE9DF14BC6A (resized).jpeg
D577F15E-1B5B-4F6B-82C6-A65E1A84B175 (resized).jpeg
219ea97e423e3d202df9a78b5d06093e479283c1 (resized).jpg
There are 88 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 4 years ago
Quoted from YZRider926:

Maybe they could make more but they have to shut down the lines and build MMRs too.

Noone want's to work with them after the JPop incident!!!

Can someone plz close this thread?

#52 4 years ago

Hey did you hear the one about the guy who posts a question to an Internet forum, and then he attaches a poll to the question, where you can "vote your conscience yes or no"... -- and then he gets 30+ down-votes for the post itself !!!

HAHA!!!
Gotta love the Internet!

Wait a sec -- so what do the POST down votes mean exactly?

1. Don't like the person
2. Don't like the question
3. Voting no on the question
4. misclick / other?

The POLL yes/total vote ratio is 30/115 or 26%
The POST up/total vote ratio is 3/39 or 7%

That's a big difference, which could mean a few things...

Whacky stuff.
-mof

#53 4 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

Noone want's to work with them after the JPop incident!!!
Can someone plz close this thread?

3jzr7c (resized).jpg3jzr7c (resized).jpg
#54 4 years ago

Not one game will be built for at least 2 more weeks. How can you predict more than 750 are needed in the world when it will take 18 months to build them? In the meantime, lots of other titles being built. Looks like it is the right amount for Spooky to build actually.

#55 4 years ago
Quoted from SpookyLuke:

This is absolutely absurd. Never historically have i read a more misinformed comment. We have never failed to deliver a single machine EVER. ACNC was delayed but we built 150 TNAs while it was delayed. 20-30 Rick and Mortys will leave this shop in January you can take that to the bank. When we finish all 750 i am going to personally come back here and reply to this ridiculous claim.

I am a big fan of Spooky, you need to remember that every Pinball Manufacturer that flew off the rails were just as trusted, said the same reassuring things, otherwise would not have received so much pre-order interest and deposits. I am not attacking Spooky, if it came out that way I apologize. Nobody knows what the next 18 Months will bring.

#56 4 years ago
Quoted from SpookyLuke:

This is absolutely absurd. Never historically have i read a more misinformed comment. We have never failed to deliver a single machine EVER. ACNC was delayed but we built 150 TNAs while it was delayed. 20-30 Rick and Mortys will leave this shop in January you can take that to the bank. When we finish all 750 i am going to personally come back here and reply to this ridiculous claim.

Spooky only gets 10 games out a week because they're on pinside responding to trolls all the time.

#57 4 years ago
Quoted from seenev:

Spooky only gets 10 games out a week because they're on pinside responding to trolls all the time.

Is this from first hand knowledge or just another opinion among thousands?

#58 4 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

I am a big fan of Spooky, you need to remember that every Pinball Manufacturer that flew off the rails were just as trusted, said the same reassuring things, otherwise would not have received so much pre-order interest and deposits

Why would we remember that when it's not true? Spooky has successfully delivered four games now. Which of the imploded/imploding manufacturers had anything approaching that kind of track record? Rhetorical question, the answer is none of them.

#60 4 years ago

Yeah I think this like their 4th or 5th game, counting TNA. I think they’ve proven they’ll get Pins built.

#61 4 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

Is this from first hand knowledge or just another opinion among thousands?

IT'S A JOKE.

#62 4 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Spooky has successfully delivered four games now.

Five. And not a one has been failed to be delivered as far as I know. And customers given one on one care.

That's how you develop trust.

#63 4 years ago
Quoted from Alwaysbrokenpins:

Rick and Morty is an incredibly popular license property as proven by a 2 day sellout of the pinball, a 2 hour sellout of the project pinball auction and a dozen threads on pinside in the past day or so.
The concept that Spooky would limit some thing like Rick & Morty to the same run as Alice Cooper is utterly laughable.
Congrats to everyone that won the Spooky pre-pay lottery. Spooky's inability to understand the value of the license / inability to fill the marketing demands has doubled a $1000 reserve space value in 24 hours. Might end up being worth $3k when they begin shipping.

While your sentiments are understandable, you have to consider other factors.

1)A large part of the appeal of Spooky is that their games are limited and not everybody has one. This is the market they have chosen to cater too.

2)Selling as much as you can is short term thinking. For example, Supreme could have sold a lot more machines too. But then they would water down their brand. You can pretty much say the same thing for all luxury brands. Spooky can now rest assured that there will be demand for their next game even if they don't choose the best license. In effect, by limiting the amount of games sold and easily selling out, they have created demand for their next game.

3)Spooky has already stated that they want to make sure they don't lay anybody off. Therefore they have to operate at capacity and can't afford to risk not selling every machine they make.

For full disclosure, I ordered a game direct from Spooky.

#64 4 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Spooky kind of blew it. They should have done similar to Woz. Bloodsucker version, then blue blood or something version. Charlie left a lot of money on the table. Could have made 2500 units easy, would take 3 years, but would sell.

You know that a license is only valid for a certain period of time? They have priced these in a way that they can pay for the license and get done in a reasonable amount of time. R&M is going to be "old news" a month down the road for a lot of pinsiders. A year from now will feel really old ! Can you imagine Stern still building + producing Aerosmith (released less than 3 years ago).

#65 4 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Why would we remember that when it's not true? Spooky has successfully delivered four games now. Which of the imploded/imploding manufacturers had anything approaching that kind of track record? Rhetorical question, the answer is none of them.

Heighway/Alien comes to mind, so does Dutch Pinball. Again, I like Spooky games. It's just that every time issues come up people say never again. The somewhat unique way new machines are sold Months before assembly/delivery has lead to problems. This applies to all the current Manufacturers.
It is not good Manufacturing Practice to take more orders than you can reasonably produce in a certain allotted timeframe. Spooky was correct in their decision based on internal criteria. I'm certain production numbers will be re-visited in the future.

#66 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

[quoted image]

I have no clue, but I found that fitting to the threads topic.

#67 4 years ago

The question there is wether it’s the licensor or the licensee decision.
Besides being an awesome show, Rick and Morty is also an exemplary business case of viral marketing, scarcity can be viewed as a part of that plan.

#68 4 years ago
Quoted from middaleman:

This site reminds me of the old proverb "Better to remain quiet and let people thing you a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt".

I think that rec/groups/pinball needs more R&M threads.

#69 4 years ago

Considering there has been 4 R&M slots posted for sale since release (one sold) I think there will be more pins available to those who want one. Some think it’s a dick move flipping these, there are 3 currently for sale without a discussion, I think the sellers know it’s going to cause a shit storm and piss people off.

#70 4 years ago

If the demand is there after the original 750 games are made and in the hands of their owners, I do not see a problem making a 2nd run.

#71 4 years ago
Quoted from Tommy-dog:

I do not see a problem making a 2nd run.

#72 4 years ago
Quoted from Tommy-dog:

If the demand is there after the original 750 games are made and in the hands of their owners, I do not see a problem making a 2nd run.

Well others do and Spooky has made clear they won’t go back on their commitment to limit production.

So what are we talking about exactly? Abstract discussion on the wisdom of artificial limits on production to spur demand? It turns out people like owning rare things and will pay more for them. It’s been successfully exploited by millions of companies before Spooky came along, so it’s not like the invented it.

#73 4 years ago
Quoted from Tommy-dog:

Quoted from fosaisu:

Well others do

Well, I got F'd with the 600 Munsters, so I want everyone else to follow with this new crap.
There is a little of truth to this...( misery loves company) but I actually hope this never happens again.
Good for you spooky!

#74 4 years ago
Quoted from ShinyBall:

Well, I got F'd with the 600 Munsters, so I want everyone else to follow with this new crap.
There is a little of truth to this...( misery loves company) but I actually hope this never happens again.
Good for you spooky!

Can you please enlighten me as to what happened with the Munsters LEs? I was never into the theme so never bought into the hype at the time.

#75 4 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Can you please enlighten me as to what happened with the Munsters LEs?

They made 600 too many.

#76 4 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Can you please enlighten me as to what happened with the Munsters LEs? I was never into the theme so never bought into the hype at the time.

I think Stern announced 500 LE then changed the number to 600.

#77 4 years ago

B7546A54-578D-41C6-8659-2425E93187B3 (resized).pngB7546A54-578D-41C6-8659-2425E93187B3 (resized).png

#78 4 years ago

There's no discussion as Spooky won't do it!

I'd like to trust them on their word, that's what's most important to me!

#79 4 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

Heighway/Alien comes to mind, so does Dutch Pinball. Again, I like Spooky games. It's just that every time issues come up people say never again. The somewhat unique way new machines are sold Months before assembly/delivery has lead to problems. This applies to all the current Manufacturers.
It is not good Manufacturing Practice to take more orders than you can reasonably produce in a certain allotted timeframe. Spooky was correct in their decision based on internal criteria. I'm certain production numbers will be re-visited in the future.

Had Heighway or Dutch successfully produced 4-5 games before their implosions? This is where your argument takes a giant left turn. You’re comparing apples to oranges.

Spooky has been true to their word in the past. They have laid out their detailed rationale for why they went with 750 - and there are probably additional reasons that they can’t discuss. It’s pure (and reckless) conjecture to say that you are “certain” production numbers will be revisited in the future.

#80 4 years ago

I'm pretty sure they would, the 750 was sold out in 4hours see no reason why they won't make more if they could.

#81 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

People who snagged one already would say no.

I snagged one and I could not care less how many they make... I don't worry about how many games stern is going to make of a given title I buy... I hope stern sells lots and lots so they can be around to make more titles...

#82 4 years ago
Quoted from flecom:

I snagged one and I could not care less how many they make... I don't worry about how many games stern is going to make of a given title I buy... I hope stern sells lots and lots so they can be around to make more titles...

I agree with the sentiment but the *fact* is that Spooky had a sales idea (limit the number) and they sold out in 4 hrs. Many of us bought early because were afraid of missing out, looks like a great game. But look at me I did buy SW but only after 2.5 years after release, I could have waited a year if R&M was being open ended release and played it.

What could have been different? Spooky could have said like TNA will make as many as can be sold and can run the game for the next 100 years (if there is demand). TNA: 100 weeks on sale (?) sold 550 games or like 5 games a week and a bonus Spooky gets to hold onto some of that $1.2M as they produce the pins.

If Spooky sold R&M like TNA it might have sold more but maybe not, if the game is meh (I doubt it but it's possible) but just say it's not as good as TNA and people can play it and compare it to the next 10 pins on the market maybe they won't sell that many more (plus Spooky has a limit on the number they can build because they have small capacity). Spooky just need to make small numbers of unique games that's their nitch. Spooky doesn't want to make 4 games a year like Stern.

#83 4 years ago

Spooky should make 750 additional "Bushworld Adventures" pins.

#84 4 years ago

There was once a businessman who was passing through a small town in southern Wisconsin.
When he stopped for lunch at a local diner, he ran into a pinball manufacturer who was eating lunch with some friends, family and employees.
The businessman saw how happy everyone was at the table and asked the pinball manufacturer how his business was doing?
The pinball manufacturer replied, “Really good... we made 10 pinball machines this week.”
“That’s awesome... but I’ve heard that some companies can build 10 in an hour!”, the businessman exclaimed.
“Maybe so, but I make enough money from these 10 each week to feed my family and keep my employees family fed as well,” the pinball guy said.
The businessman then asked, “So, what is a typical week for you like?”
The pinball manufacturer replied, “Well, I usually wake up early in the morning, work hard all day building pinball machines but leave enough time here and there... in the afternoon, evening or weekends to hang out with my kids and wife. I also frequently join my buddies in town for a drink — we play pinball, sing and dance throughout the night.”
The businessman offered a suggestion to the pinball guy.
“I have a PhD in business management. I could help you to become a more successful person. From now on, you should spend more time at work, hire more employees and try to make as many pinball machines as possible. When you have saved enough money from your profits, you could build a bigger factory and make even more pinball machines. Soon you will be able to afford to buy more licenses, expand even further, expand your company even more. By then, you will have moved out of this town and to Chicago, where you can set up headquarters to manage your other branches.”
The pinball manufacturer continues, “And after that?”
The businessman laughs heartily, “After that, you can live like a king in your own house, and when the time is right, you can go public and float your shares in the Stock Exchange, and you will be rich.”
The pinball manufacturer asks, “And after that?”
The businessman says, “After that, you can finally retire, you can move to a house in the country in southern Wisconsin, wake up early in the morning, maybe work a few hours but only doing what you love, then return home to play with kids, and when evening comes, you can join your buddies for a drink, play pinball, sing and dance throughout the night!”
The pinball manufacturer was puzzled, “Isn’t that what I am doing now?”

#85 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinzap:

There was once a businessman who was passing through a small town in southern Wisconsin.
When he stopped for lunch at a local diner, he ran into a pinball manufacturer who was eating lunch with some friends, family and employees.
The businessman saw how happy everyone was at the table and asked the pinball manufacturer how his business was doing?
The pinball manufacturer replied, “Really good... we made 10 pinball machines this week.”
“That’s awesome... but I’ve heard that some companies can build 10 in an hour!”, the businessman exclaimed.
“Maybe so, but I make enough money from these 10 each week to feed my family and keep my employees family fed as well,” the pinball guy said.
The businessman then asked, “So, what is a typical week for you like?”
The pinball manufacturer replied, “Well, I usually wake up early in the morning, work hard all day building pinball machines but leave enough time here and there... in the afternoon, evening or weekends to hang out with my kids and wife. I also frequently join my buddies in town for a drink — we play pinball, sing and dance throughout the night.”
The businessman offered a suggestion to the pinball guy.
“I have a PhD in business management. I could help you to become a more successful person. From now on, you should spend more time at work, hire more employees and try to make as many pinball machines as possible. When you have saved enough money from your profits, you could build a bigger factory and make even more pinball machines. Soon you will be able to afford to buy more licenses, expand even further, expand your company even more. By then, you will have moved out of this town and to Chicago, where you can set up headquarters to manage your other branches.”
The pinball manufacturer continues, “And after that?”
The businessman laughs heartily, “After that, you can live like a king in your own house, and when the time is right, you can go public and float your shares in the Stock Exchange, and you will be rich.”
The pinball manufacturer asks, “And after that?”
The businessman says, “After that, you can finally retire, you can move to a house in the country in southern Wisconsin, wake up early in the morning, maybe work a few hours but only doing what you love, then return home to play with kids, and when evening comes, you can join your buddies for a drink, play pinball, sing and dance throughout the night!”
The pinball manufacturer was puzzled, “Isn’t that what I am doing now?”

This is perfect. Did you adapt this from an existing story, or did you come up with all of this yourself?

#86 4 years ago
Quoted from floyd1977:

This is perfect. Did you adapt this from an existing story, or did you come up with all of this yourself?

Adapted... fisherman and businessman. Not sure who to give original credit to, as it was sent to me by a friend.

#87 4 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

give it 6 months and a few more titles from Stern, CGC, and JJP and all this will fizzle out and people will be selling spots at a loss. Happens year after year.

yup!!

#88 4 years ago

For me, this wasn’t a FOMO purchase.

I’ve been waiting on a manufacturer to pick this up for a while. The storyline provides limitless possibilities, Danesi, Bowen, Spooky, and on and on. And I think the show will develop a cult-like following (think Simpsons) that will lend itself to longevity. Of course limited production, as well.

Also, I’m not a fan of actors faces all over cabinets, save for POTC where the actors are heavily costumed. TWD, Stranger Things (looks almost like a recycled Elvira).... no thanks - I want to punch that kid in the face - flash in the pan, very topical. I think 5-10 years from now people will be saying Stranger what?? And no, I’m not a Stern hater - I love my JP2 premium.

I digress.....

No, they shouldn’t and won’t make more R&M.

/end rant

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 85.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Drums, PA
Machine - For Sale
La Porte, IN
$ 28.00
$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Game Room Info Shop

$ 399.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Bent Mods

Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 45.00
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 60.00
Lighting - Interactive
Pinhead mods

$ 39.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
Melbourne, FL
10,500 (OBO)
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 300.00
$ 22.00
Playfield - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 65.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 13,500.00
There are 88 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/should-spooky-make-more-rick-and-morty-if-they-could/page/2?hl=phil-lee and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.