(Topic ID: 261718)

Should Spooky do a game run of 1000 next or stick to 750?

By HighProtein

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Should Spooky do a game run of 1000 next or stick to 750?”

• Yes if they can speed up production 18 votes
    31%
  • Yes even at same production rate 7 votes
    12%
  • No stay the course 27 votes
    47%
  • No limited run helps games retain value 6 votes
    10%

(58 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

frank (resized).png
#1 4 years ago

Should Spooky do a game run of 1000 next or stick to 750?

The term is Fear of Missing Out (FOMA).
The goal is to sell a few less than market is demanding so the producer
has no delay in demand from dealers who have demand from customers
and also so dealers don't possibly end up with boxes of games collecting dust.

Stern has been the Grand Champ of figuring it out far more times than not.

Jersey Jack and fudged the fudge out of all opportunities to utilize this tactic
other than maxing the fudge out of Wizard of Oz sales.

American pinball has no clue what it is even though they are a limited run/sale product.

Chicago gaming has done well selling all their LEs.

Now we're at Spooky, they have produced all games that they planned to sell.
With 1.5 years to produced 750 Ricky and Mortys that they've already sold,
does it make sense to level up to 1000 if the theme is capable of selling in combination with
upping the speed of production or just to grind away with 750 runs that they can sell quickly?

#2 4 years ago

If the next title isn't as popular as Rick and Morty, I'd imagine they will come back down to the 500 range.

#3 4 years ago

Spooky does runs of games they can manage. Let them decide the run. If they were just out for a cash grab, they could run R&M for the next 5 years.

#4 4 years ago

No need to worry about it now...gonna be busy with the current title for years...... alot can change between now and then.

#5 4 years ago

I think it depends on the pinball marketplace in 1.5 years when they're done. The market might be different than it is now.

I think it also depends on the theme of their next game; Spooky is small, so they can thrive on titles of 300-500 units and there is nothing wrong with that.

#6 4 years ago

Maybe add a "if they want to' and a" why would we speculate on this before a title is actually announced" option.....

R&M gets announced and suddenly people who've never bought a Spooky before think they know how Spooky should/wants to do business better than they do themselves. Let's give 'em a break and let them just do what they do.....

#7 4 years ago

Limited run of an art package or trim package is cool. Limited run of a game just so it stays rare is a little silly. If the game comes out as good as it looks, please make some more.

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from Shredso:

Limited run of a game just so it stays rare is a little silly.

It's not Limited to make it rare. It is limited to the number they feel they can produce in a timeframe that works for them.

They aren't trying to create a secondary market. They are trying to grow in a way they feel is sustainable and responsible for themselves.

They either have to expand and risk future layoffs or alter their commitments to satisfy anything other than the 750 they planned for.

Their next machine has to be in R&D at this point and that also has to be part of their plan.

#9 4 years ago

Let Spooky worry about what Spooky should do. Charlie seems quite capable of handling his company. No arm chair quarterback opinions needed.

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Let Spooky worry about what Spooky should do. Charlie seems quite capable of handling his company. No arm chair quarterback opinions needed.

This is a pinball forum where people like to discuss pinball. Unless your opinion is the only one that matters around here.

#11 4 years ago

I think they should probably not paint themselves into a corner of limiting. If they left it open ended they could probably have continued to make more money manufacturing this game specifically. Maybe a caveat to expand production to 1000 depending on interest.

#12 4 years ago

Stern did Pirates of the Caribbean in 2006 and it was a respectable game. The JJP picked up the license in 2018 and put out a better game. I will stand firm on the fact that 750 Rick and Morty does not remotely meet the demand of this franchise. So if Spooky does not want to meet that marketplace demand it is a GUARANTEE that eventually some other manufacture will. There has been 3 Elviras for God sakes.

The licensor does not give a flying F about what a few pinsider's think. Like every single franchise they are out for profit. And when Spooky is done putting out their 750 I can not imagine someone else will not approach the licensor for the next pinball incarnation of the franchise.

So NO they should stop at 750 (In other words, Spooky please put out your 750 and be done, so someone else who actually wants my money can build me one.)

#13 4 years ago

As a guy that slept thru most of the morning when Rick and Morty went on sale, I am living proof that even if you snooze, you don't always lose. That meaning they obviously had enough spots available with 750. If you didn't get one even with that, then you must have been in a coma.

All that being said, Spooky is smart doing what they are doing instead of going for a big cashgrab while the economy is booming.

We all know how the pinball industry fared during the last economic crash, and if it happens again, Spooky will be just cruising along doing business as usual, building their 10 games a week.

#14 4 years ago

I kinda hope they go back to even smaller runs. If they only have to worry about selling 250 units, they could get reaaaal weird with it. I understand economies of scale but could open some interesting doors.

frank (resized).pngfrank (resized).png
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 25.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 28.00
Playfield - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 45.00
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 11.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 39.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Phoenix, AZ
$ 399.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Bent Mods

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
Melbourne, FL
$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Machine - For Sale
Merritt Island, FL
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 238.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Game Room Info Shop

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/should-spooky-do-a-game-run-of-1000-next-or-stick-to-750 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.