(Topic ID: 54745)

Should spinners register if they don't "spin"?

By DanQverymuch

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Finrod
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 10 years ago

Here's a question I don't remember seeing addressed here, or on RGP for that matter.

Should a spinner register any time a ball passes under it, or only if the spinner spins around?

On my TRON LE, the left spinner will let a slow-moving ball pass under it without registering if it's going slow enough. Often I wish it would register, dang it, as I could use that CLU, Quorra and/or Light Cycle hit.

But then I think, well, it didn't "spin"... then I think "but should that matter?" Then I think "maybe I should tweak that switch." And all this thinking disrupts my concentration!

#2 10 years ago

Good question....I would be interested in knowing this as well. My guess is that they need to make it almost parallel to the play-field to trip the switch, which would mean that a slow rolling ball would not set it off.

#3 10 years ago

It has to spin around far enough to lift the switch. Sometimes a partial spin will do ot.

#4 10 years ago

Tron specifically has different software behavior as far as that goes, to the best of my knowledge. If it's a single "hit" on the switch Tron specifically may register some points and a sound effect but you will NOT be awarded the shot for Quorra. It has to hit it a few times to count. Any solid state game I've ever owned will register points on any spinner "hit" that tilts it enough to make the contacts come together, but Tron is the only game I know of where a spinner is used in this manner. It kind of makes sense, because just nicking the spinner shouldn't count, it should have to go through the shot, and that's how it's determined by the game if it's a few spins it probably went through.

*Edit* If it registers on switch test by rolling the ball under it slowly, it doesn't need to be adjusted, and you're just dealing with the wierd code.

#5 10 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

*Edit* If it registers on switch test by rolling the ball under it slowly, it doesn't need to be adjusted, and you're just dealing with the wierd code.

+1

As long as you have the switch adjusted properly then the rest is up to the software. Great explanation Frax

#6 10 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Tron specifically has different software behavior...

Veddy interestink.

Dunno why I never tested it before, but in switch test I see neither spinner registers until the bottom of the spinner gets up higher than the top, i.e. slightly more than 1/4 turn. Balls can pass under without registering the switches.

So with what you're saying about the software, if I had taken time to tweak the switch, it still wouldn't have changed the behavior. That would have been perplexing!

But I'm not so sure you are correct about the software. On my game, anyway, just turning the spinner enough to make it register awards a Quorra, Light Cycle and/or CLU hit. (Latest software.)

So now I'm back where I started. Should I tweak the switch to register any time a ball goes under? It seems so arbitrary now, when a ball going a tiny bit faster would have scored, still without spinning the spinner...

I guess now I'm curious, does everyone's TRON behave this way?

#7 10 years ago
    Quoted from DanQverymuch:

So now I'm back where I started. Should I tweak the switch to register any time a ball goes under? It seems so arbitrary now, when a ball going a tiny bit faster would have scored, still without spinning the spinner...

I don't think so. For kicks, I just checked both Stern's I have handy with spinners, Ripley's and FGY (3 spinners total). None registered a hit with a slow roll under it. Ripley's has the old style spinner and I believe FGY uses the same assembly as Tron. (you could check online manuals to confirm)

Interesting note about Stern spinners. Each spin actually counts as 2 spins. Once when the switch opens, once when the switch closes. Properly lubed, they will scream. No need for adjusting. Just add a couple of very small drops of light oil where the wire makes contact.

#8 10 years ago

It depends how sensitive you have your spinner switch adjusted. You can make it so the slightest movement registers, but then it could easily go off with nudges or motor shakes (if installed).

#9 10 years ago

I like EM spinners. Ding ding ding, ding ding, ding ding ding ding ding............

1 week later
    #10 10 years ago

Well, I'm about ready to go ahead and make that Quorra spinner more sensitive. Several times lately, I've hit it just hard enough for the ball to actually loop around the top despite the spinner not spinning, and yet still not activate the switch.

Though I guess I will try lubricating the pivot points first...

#11 10 years ago

Have you tried cleaning the contacts of the switch? I was having issues with a spinner on my Sorcerer not registering so I cleaned the hell out of the switch contacts and it's been mostly better since.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/should-spinners-register-if-they-dont-spin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.