(Topic ID: 8151)

Should scores on pinball emulators be logged in hi-score chatrs?

By pinballslave

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Title of this topic says it all really.”

• Yes, video emulator scores should be registered for the score charts 2 votes
      3%
    • No they shouldn't... lets keep it real. 61 votes
      97%

(63 votes)

#1 12 years ago

This is itchin' for a poll, so I thought I'd take the liberty of starting one...

#2 12 years ago

Does my Need for Speed prowess make me the 2011 Formula 1 champion? I think not. Way, way easier to get a high score on the Xbox.

#3 12 years ago

Not the same, keep apart. I do not even see it as an option to add them.

#4 12 years ago

I agree with abso 100%. You can't play pinball with your thumbs. It's just not right.

#5 12 years ago
    Quoted from absocountry2:

I do not even see it as an option to add them.

There's no option to add, but you can simply put your hi-score achieved on an emulator into the hi-score charts without needing an option... just keep all the settings as default (tilt sensitivity etc) and adjust ball per game (never used an emulator, so not even sure you can change balls per game... maybe you CAN adjust tilt sensitivity...). Anyway, my point is that there doesn't need to be an option to simply log the score...

#6 12 years ago

I vote yes, but only for emulations of real pinball machines that already exist, no virtual-only machines.

#7 12 years ago
    Quoted from Finrod:

no virtual-only machines.

These wouldn't be in the archive anyway, so impossible to add a score for a game not in the archive...

#8 12 years ago

Emulators are way easier than the real game...proven by some insane MM scores in VP.

#9 12 years ago
    Quoted from pinballslave:

There's no option to add, but you can simply put your hi-score achieved on an emulator into the hi-score charts without needing an option

What I meant was that I do not see it as a valid option to do or consider such a thing. Virtual pinball should be kept in a different segment such as EM v SS v virtual. I do not hate virtual, I want to build one but they are different.

#10 12 years ago

What I meant was that I do not see it as a valid option to do or consider such a thing.

Ah, I see what you're saying... I'd also never considered it, but from a recent topic, it's clear that some people do see it as an option, which is why I raised this poll... from the results it's clear that a vast majority agree that only real pinball scores should be used in the charts... That won't stop anyone putting their virtual scores obviously, or people just making scores up... but if it's at least stressed that scores entered should be from real pinballs, then at least it would stop people with morals entering scores from virtual games... people with no morals can enter whatever numbers they want in any case, but I'd hope in this community these people are simply not here...

#11 12 years ago

What I meant was that I do not see it as a valid option to do or consider such a thing. Virtual pinball should be kept in a different segment such as EM v SS v virtual. I do not hate virtual, I want to build one but they are different.

ya this I totally agree with.

#12 12 years ago

All that said, I still think a virtual pin would be neat in a large collection, just cannot mix the scores.

#13 12 years ago

No way!

It would be like comparing any real game ( tennis/golf/soccer etc ) to a computer version!

#14 12 years ago

Although I voted no, I'm with Abso in that there should be a place to register scores achieved on the emulators.

#15 12 years ago

No. The ball physics are different on a virtual simulator than in real life. Plus, VP doesn't have directional nudging, only forward, right, and left.

#16 12 years ago

Nope.

#17 12 years ago

Okay it seems to me that this one can be closed. FWIW: I also voted "no". Virtual pinball is fun and a fantastic way to discover/investigate pins to buy. I like playing with pinball emulators but they're just not the same as real pinball, nudging, ball physics.

#18 12 years ago

Even I voted No.

To keep things on an even playfield (pun intended) - There needs to be some kind of guidelines.
    In Example:
    Outlane Savers need to be in (x) position.
    Incline bubble needs to be at line (x)
    All game settings need to be at default.
    Specials are to be counted as Credits, not points or Extra Balls.

I am the kinda person that likes to keep the game fun for myself. If it is too hard, then I do whatever it takes to make it easier. It would not be right for someone else to be "beaten" by my score, due to his/her more difficult (regulation) settings.

#19 12 years ago

Nope, but really the whole system is basically based on the honor system anyway. I can't see too many, if any Pinsiders at all, entering scores from emulators or fake scores from real machines.

Quoted from pinballslave:

people with no morals can enter whatever numbers they want in any case, but I'd hope in this community these people are simply not here...

#20 12 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

Okay it seems to me that this one can be closed.

In before the lock.

#21 12 years ago

Me too!

#22 12 years ago

So, may I propose, just to discourage people from adding scores they got on emulators in the same place as real pinball scores, to have an additional selection in the options for game location (home, on site, tornament and 'emulator')... This was suggested by someone else in a different thread... And I think it's a good idea... clearly people who use emulators want to register there scores somewhere, and why not... and this would give them a place to do it... without it they will be tempted to put the score in with real pinballs... just a thought...

#23 12 years ago

I think that is a good idea. Then I can simply filter all emulator scores out of the ranking calculations and we'll be sure people are not putting in emu scores between the real ones.

#24 12 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

I think that is a good idea.

Looking back in the topics I see that it was you who I was referring to, so it's your idea to start with

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/should-scores-on-pinball-emulators-be-logged-in-hi-score-chatrs and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.