(Topic ID: 69403)

Should score reels routinely be rebuilt or not?

By Tanner

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by ccotenj
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

Again, my 1973 Gottlieb Big Shot. The score reels are sluggish, mostly moving to "9" and to "0" units. Makes sense. I've taken them apart to clean the reels. I noticed black dust but nothing really sticky or unusual. I cleaned the dust off (as best I could, that stuff doesn't like to come off white plastic) and re-assembled. It's still a little sluggish around 9 and 0.
My thinking is the springs could be either replaced or shortened to increase tension.
Or, should I take apart the coil and clean it? Maybe replace the sleeves (I'm not sure what size they are)? Does anyone think this would help?
I searched Google and some other pinball posts (rec.games.pinball) seemed to indicate you almost never need to take apart a scoring reel.
Thoughts?

#2 10 years ago

imo...

on the em's i have gotten, i have completely disassembled the score reels and cleaned them meticulously... i also replace the coil sleeves as part of this process... lube where required... once this is done, they will rarely ever have issues again... it is time consuming and a pita on decagon reels, but it is worth it in the long run...

shortening the springs without cleaning first is a band-aid approach... and, fwiw, if the springs are "tired", it is cheap enough to replace them with new ones as part of the reassembly...

as with everything else em-related... first step to "fixing" a problem is to clean the offending part...

#3 10 years ago

Most likely you need to adjust the 'tension' (less) on the 9 position switch....might have too much when the switches 'throw' to zero. If you do adjust make sure you get the whole blade adjusted evenly...bit tricky w/ those on decagon....sorta' a 2 into 1 as you see.

#4 10 years ago

I agree with both comments above. Getting everything clean with new sleeves makes a difference for sure. Shortening the springs may work for the sort term but it's not the best approach. As Cash_Riprock said by adjusting your 9 position switches you can limit the amount of drag allowing your reel to turn easier past the hump.
Alex

#5 10 years ago

On almost every game I have owned/restored, I have found the score reel coils 'gunked up' with an operator's attempt at 'maintaining' them....... Good comments above, would certainly clean up the whole thing. I have also found burned spots at times on the circuit boards that control match/high score awards. Areas to lube include the contacts on the circuits, axles with moving parts, and I sometimes add a bit behind the advance arm where it slides against the metal frame.

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from Cash_Riprock:

Most likely you need to adjust the 'tension' (less) on the 9 position switch....might have too much when the switches 'throw' to zero. If you do adjust make sure you get the whole blade adjusted evenly...bit tricky w/ those on decagon....sorta' a 2 into 1 as you see.

yea true dat on the "trickiness"... those can be a bit of a pita... i struggle with those... i hope it becomes easier with time...

Quoted from stashyboy:

... add a bit behind the advance arm where it slides against the metal frame.

me too... wonder who taught me that?

@the op... there's a few videos linked in the thread below that are rather helpful...

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/good-youtube-vid-for-decagon-score-reels#post-1086002

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from ccotenj:

yea true dat on the "trickiness"... those can be a bit of a pita... i struggle with those... i hope it becomes easier with time...

Be 'one' w/the switches ccotenj and it will come to you! : ) Just tough to get on to the bottom of the switch blade evenly....in time it will come!

#8 10 years ago

^^^

LOL! "be the switch, glasshoppah"...

yea, it always seems like i don't quite get the adjuster on there square...

#9 10 years ago

HEY! I recognize that guy in the video!

My 2 cents - I've never seen a "tired" spring on a score reel. Springs can be designed for infinite life. These are extremely low rate, low stress springs. I HAVE seen a lot of dirty parts that make the score reel sluggish, and a lot of maladjusted switch stacks that cause problems.

#10 10 years ago

^^^

yea, he should look familiar to you...

thanks for doing those... they gave me the confidence and know-how to be able to r&r a reel...

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from ccotenj:

they gave me the confidence and know-how to be able to r&r a reel.

Glad it helped you. Thanks for letting me know.

#12 10 years ago

I do not fix what isn't broken, but many times there are issues with the score reels that require repair/cleaning/adjustment. Tearing them all down upfront seems like overkill.

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from bonzo71:

I do not fix what isn't broken, but many times there are issues with the score reels that require repair/cleaning/adjustment. Tearing them all down upfront seems like overkill.

i generally subscribe to the "if it isn't broke, don't fix it" theory... however, in the case of score reels (and steppers, ftm), i consider r&r'ing them "preventative maintenance"... i'd rather just take care of stuff like that upfront, as it is likely going to have to be done sooner or later anyway...

i guess it's an individual choice... i have nowhere near the experience that many others have, and i don't do nearly as good a job refurb'ing a machine as someone like todd does, but i think that it's worth spending the time on a newly acquired machine to do certain preventative maintenance...

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/should-score-reels-routinely-be-rebuilt-or-not and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.