• 65 posts
  • 29 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Insane
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Should Schematics Be Free?”

• No, retailers have a right to profit from their intellectual property. 22 votes
    25%
  • Yes, the copyrights are expired and unenforceable. 50 votes
    56%
  • Maybe, if the owners can be properly compensated for the loss of future sales. 1 vote
    1%
  • Who cares? I get whatever I need from whomever or wherever it takes. 16 votes
    18%

(89 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

self-repair_manifesto_1650x2550_(resized).jpg
There are 65 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 7 years ago

I have a personal opinion on this, but I'm curious what other people think. Schematics can be a vital part of pinball repair. Most people getting their first machine are advised to buy a schematic as soon as possible. In some cases, digital copies of schematics are available online for free, and in others, particularly in the case of D. Gottlieb games, cease and desist notices have established it is completely illegal to share certain documentation online. Now, how do you feel about this situation? Does information want to be free in a digital age, or do freeloaders just like to get things for free?

#2 7 years ago

I think that some are to busy trying to make more profit and if I can help someone as others have helped me,whether it be a phone pic,photo copy,email,fax whatever to get the game up and running,I don't really care.They need to stop treating this info like it's classified.
Mike

#3 7 years ago

I think it's better to be able to purchase a schematic for a 50-60+ year old machine than not have one available at all.

Plus, the one place that keeps these on file sells most of their other parts much cheaper than everywhere else.

PBR does not only sell Gottlieb schematics, but also has them for Williams games that I couldn't find any where else. I mean where else could I get one for my 1948 Speed Way or 1950 Pinky? I am sure glad this service is available. And I don't mind paying a few bucks to get them.

Most of the online schematics are hard to read anyway.

#4 7 years ago

Patents expire, but copyrights remain in place for a long, long time.

However, I am in favor of the right to repair and have documentation and parts available to those who want them. Thankfully, documentation for most pins is available in some form or another.

As far as Gottlieb goes, it's annoying and can be expensive (especially if you have to shell out 15-20 bucks for pretty much each game you might own), but at least they're available.

https://www.eff.org/issues/right-to-repair
http://ifixit.org/right
http://repair.org/legislation/

self-repair_manifesto_1650x2550_(resized).jpgself-repair_manifesto_1650x2550_(resized).jpg

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Most of the online schematics are hard to read anyway.

Unfortunately, this is the case a lot of the time. I try to acquire originals if I can and then try to scan them when I have time.

I just scanned all the Allied Leisure schematics I had and uploaded them to IPDB...just waiting on them for them to be approved and published on the page.

#6 7 years ago

Good points made on both sides. Thanks for the thoughtful discussion so far.

#7 7 years ago

It's great to be able to order a hardcopy of a schematic, but when you are overseas and it may take a month to get it; or you are called out on a service run and there is no manual in the game - not being able to D/L a copy sucks ass.

#8 7 years ago

To be fair to those who invested in the copyright, they did so to make a profit, but also are doing a lot to ensure that these things are preserved.

Would be interesting to see how much the they paid, my guess is it wasn't cheap and probably at a time when almost nobody wanted them, and if I could guess, long before the upswing we're seeing now.

It would be interesting to see these owners put these up for community ownership via sale. For example, set a price on the license, kickstarter for that amount, no individuals reward just agreement to allow public use without restriction. I doubt there's enough interested parties to spend enough to make that happen, but maybe they will give them over to public domain one day.

#9 7 years ago

Personally, I do not mind paying a few bucks for a scheme of a game when needed. I am happy to know that there is a source to get them from and that source should be compensated for making that available to me. If I have the money to buy the game, then I probably have the money to procure the scheme.

#10 7 years ago

It would be great if, like in other industries, you could pay for a pristine download instantly, followed by a hardcopy delivery.

#11 7 years ago

It stinks to have to shell out $15.00 for the privilege of fixing your own game, but its a fee I gladly pay. I look at it as ordering a print or a poster...it's a piece of artwork. I buy incomplete games all the time, and have to hunt for a unique part or two...the schematic, if missing, is just one of those missing "parts". I'll always opt for finding an original before shelling out for a PBR copy...the printing at the folds of Mr. Young's repros is always hit or miss.

The amount of free schematics provided online offsets the Gottlieb ones that I have to pay for.

#12 7 years ago

I prefer to work off electronic versions. But I have purchased the hard copy as well when I didn't get one with the machine purchase. I'm ok with it, I think the price is reasonable.

The ultimate would be to completely redraw a schematic as a pristine digital vector file, in something like Visio or a cad program. I have done some sections that way. It's a lot of work though.

#13 7 years ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

I prefer to work off electronic versions.

I like each format for different reasons. Digital files for convenience. I can't even recall how many times I've gone to IPDB and downloaded a manual on the fly, or referenced my own digital archives. I like hard copies for careful study and casual perusing.

Quoted from xsvtoys:

The ultimate would be to completely redraw a schematic as a pristine digital vector file, in something like Visio or a cad program. I have done some sections that way. It's a lot of work though.

There's a risk of introducing new errors into the schematic when doing that.

#14 7 years ago

Let me put it to you this way, i work on elevators/escalators/other lifts and when we take a unit over on service and the schematics are gone, you cant fix it if and when you run into some weird stuff, I alert the customer that the schematics are gone and most likely the previous company took them to make us look bad to get the job back. What are you todo? You are buying a product and have the RIGHT for a 3rd party to fix it, that approaches impossibility when schematics arent even provided with the new games which is bullshit.

#15 7 years ago

Gottlieb put two schematics in every '70's EM. Bally & Williams & Chicago Coin gave you one. Bally, Williams & Chicago Coin supplied schematics for free when you wrote them (pre-internet and long-distance calls were a big deal back then). The Detroit Williams distributor gave me schematics at no charge.

#16 7 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

I like each format for different reasons. Digital files for convenience. I can't even recall how many times I've gone to IPDB and downloaded a manual on the fly, or referenced my own digital archives. I like hard copies for careful study and casual perusing.

There's a risk of introducing new errors into the schematic when doing that.

Sure you would want to avoid that. Here is the flip side - you can correct errors in the original. Well, I am new to the hobby so I do have limited experience yet. So far I have just looked at Bally Bon Voyage in detail. I can confirm that that It has at least three fairly significant errors, including one mislabeled score motor switch so there are 2 that are labeled the same. This kind of thing could drive you crazy if you happen to be troubleshooting that one part.

I'm not sure if this is the case with the other older schematics. But I did see one thread where a schematic error caused some troubleshooting grief. I think it was ryanclaytors rebuild thread.

My assumption is that these schematics were originally hand drawn. Cad software and the printers didn't come around until somewhere around the early 80s. So you just have one hand drawn original and maybe the proofreading was a bit lax. On top of that, if you do make an error, it would be a pain to fix. You can't just delete and correct like you can with a computer file.

On a related note, the manual for Bon Voyage is absolutely riddled with errors. Some if it is sloppy editing or writing, and then you have the same issues. No computer, no word processor, just paper and a typewriter.

#17 7 years ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

Sure you would want to avoid that. Here is the flip side - you can correct errors in the original. Well, I am new to the hobby so I do have limited experience yet. So far I have just looked at Bally Bon Voyage in detail. I can confirm that that It has at least three fairly significant errors, including one mislabeled score motor switch so here are 2 that are labeled the same. This kind of thing could drive you crazy if you happen to be troubleshooting that one part.

Yep, I've spotted errors too. It happens. Sometimes there are revisions for the schematics, and sometimes a note in a service bulletin.

Sometimes there was a change mid-production if an issue was discovered or a part needed to be substituted due to availability or expense.

Quoted from xsvtoys:

My assumption is that these schematics were originally hand drawn. Cad software and the printers didn't come around until somewhere around the early 80s. So you just have one hand drawn original and maybe the proofreading was a bit lax. On top of that, if you do make an error, it would be a pain to fix. You can't just delete and correct like you can with a computer file.

As long as it was a minor correction not needing a significant redraw, it could be corrected fairly invisibly.

However, I've seen printed schematics that had obvious corrections prior to being printed.

Up until the late 80s or early 90s, most drafting in all industries was done by hand. Then everything starting being done in CAD programs.

#18 7 years ago

The drawback with many of the downloadable schematics (especially the Bally solid states) is that people don't have a scanner that can do 11 x 17 size pages. They simply scan sections then you print it out and cut & tape it back together and hope things line up or there are no missing portions.

Thank goodness there are some people who have been able to scan the 11 x 17 pages full size and in the correct resolution (for sharpness). Then I take the scan to Kinko's on a jump drive and print out there.

#19 7 years ago
Quoted from KenLayton:

The drawback with many of the downloadable schematics (especially the Bally solid states) is that people don't have a scanner that can do 11 x 17 size pages. They simply scan sections then you print it out and cut & tape it back together and hope things line up or there are no missing portions.
Thank goodness there are some people who have been able to scan the 11 x 17 pages full size and in the correct resolution (for sharpness). Then I take the scan to Kinko's on a jump drive and print out there.

When doing a fresh scan of a large schematic, I use my hp 4670 and stitch them in photoshop.

#20 7 years ago

I think the schematics I order are always better than the ones downloaded. I really don't mind as long as it's a readable copy. PBR is a great resource for the hobby and I'll gladly buy the paperwork to contribute to keeping them in business. It cracks me up that people will spend so much money on glueing action figures to their game, but buying a schematic for 15 bucks is robbery lol.

#21 7 years ago

Right, if you have pretty much any half decent scanner, some time and patience, and a reasonable amount of photoshop skilz you can make a decent e copy. It takes a bit of work to do the stitching properly but it's not too hard. I also did some cleaning up of some of the stuff on the original hard copy such as fixing areas where the folds are, cleaning up some smudges, etc.

With a nice e version I can look at it on the big monitor on a computer, or on a tablet if I'm loafing on the couch, AND make some printouts if I want them to take to the machine to look at, mark up, and take notes on.

#22 7 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Gottlieb put two schematics in every '70's EM. Bally & Williams & Chicago Coin gave you one.

Indeed.

The real scheisters are those that feel the need to remove the original schematics and manuals before they sell a game. Then put them up for sale on a place like e-bay. I'm still glad replacements are available.

#23 7 years ago

Photoshop will auto-stitch the scans for you.

File > Automate > Photomerge

#24 7 years ago
Quoted from wisefwumyogwave:

Let me put it to you this way, i work on elevators/escalators/other lifts and when we take a unit over on service and the schematics are gone, you cant fix it if and when you run into some weird stuff, I alert the customer that the schematics are gone and most likely the previous company took them to make us look bad to get the job back. What are you todo? You are buying a product and have the RIGHT for a 3rd party to fix it, that approaches impossibility when schematics arent even provided with the new games which is bullshit.

What new games do not have schematics?

#25 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinballlew:

What new games do not have schematics?

Any of the new Stern machines.

#26 7 years ago

I own two Gottlieb EMs from the 70s. I gladly ordered the schematic for one of them. The other one actually still had the original one taped to the lightbox door when I got it a year ago.

#27 7 years ago
Quoted from KenLayton:

Thanks was unaware.

#28 7 years ago

I think it's important to understand how licensing works. The entities who are the intellectual property (IP) owners of material related to pinball are usually not involved in the pinball community or in any pinball business. This is especially true for artwork and schematics - the kind of stuff that a lot of Pinsiders care about - for older machines. And by older, I mean anything manufactured before 2001.

To make this material available to us, someone with a business that provides stuff to our community buys a license to sell us the stuff from the IP owner. These businesses do this because they want to make a profit - of course - but also because they are part of our community, they know what stuff people are asking for, and they want the community to have access to it.

I think what a lot of Pinsiders don't understand is that the license can be taken away from the business if the IP owner decides that the business is not protecting THEIR material from being used without permission. So the business gets stuck in the middle of all this. They need to try to attract customers and make a profit by selling the material, AND they need to jump on anyone reproducing the material without a license to do so.

Personally, I'm happy to send PBR money for a schematic, and for anything else I need to bring a decades-old machine back to life. That's because I want places like PBR to be prosperous and to stay in business for a long, long time. To me, complaining about paying for a schematic - or for a ramp with Williams artwork on it, for that matter - feels too much like I'm rooting for the failure of the very businesses that support us.

- TimMe

#29 7 years ago
Quoted from KenLayton:

At all? Or just no hard copies?

#30 7 years ago
Quoted from TimMe:

Personally, I'm happy to send PBR money for a schematic, and for anything else I need to bring a decades-old machine back to life. That's because I want places like PBR to be prosperous and to stay in business for a long, long time. To me, complaining about paying for a schematic - or for a ramp with Williams artwork on it, for that matter - feels too much like I'm rooting for the failure of the very businesses that support us.

If *every* manufacturer charged for paperwork, there might not be as much resistance with Gottlieb materials. Gottlieb is just the odd-man-out.

As for artwork, part of the problem is that there are people hungry for parts that just aren't being produced--and can't be produced because of the lack of licensor approval--because of 3rd-party image licensing issues (in licensed themes), the licensor simply wanting way too much money (thus making the project infeasible), an official exclusive licensee producing sub-par products and the licensor blocking others from making a better product, or an licensor blocking anyone else from producing because it's "coming soon" even if it's actually several years to never in the making.

#31 7 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

At all? Or just no hard copies?

When you buy a new Stern machine, they throw in about 6 black & white photocopied pages of the software programming features and call it a "manual". Then you go to their website and say you have a Ghostbusters pinball, you go to that page and click on manuals. It either does nothing or it simply says "not available".

The only sure way to get a complete manual WITH schematics is to go to your local Stern Pinball distributor's parts department and plunk down $50 to buy a genuine authorized complete manual. It really pisses me off when a company plunks down $7,000 on a new Stern pinball and you're forced to BUY a fucking manual to fix the machine. It should have been included in the machine for free!

#32 7 years ago

the game came with the schematics when new, they should have stayed with the game
that they didn't, you should not be penalized

if you need the schematics, then you will also need parts
i think it is in the best interest of the parts suppliers to provide the schematic

#33 7 years ago
Quoted from KenLayton:

When you buy a new Stern machine, they throw in about 6 black & white photocopied pages of the software programming features and call it a "manual". Then you go to their website and say you have a Ghostbusters pinball, you go to that page and click on manuals. It either does nothing or it simply says "not available".
The only sure way to get a complete manual WITH schematics is to go to your local Stern Pinball distributor's parts department and plunk down $50 to buy a genuine authorized complete manual. It really pisses me off when a company plunks down $7,000 on a new Stern pinball and you're forced to BUY a fucking manual to fix the machine. It should have been included in the machine for free!

I just tried it. It looks like it won't load in Firefox for some reason, but it opens fine in Chrome.

http://sternpinball.com/games/ghostbusters/pro
http://sternpinball.com/upload/games/ghostbusters/pro/1959/Ghostbusters_Pro_web.pdf

[edit]: No board schematics, though

#34 7 years ago
Quoted from PopBumperPete:

i think it is in the best interest of the parts suppliers to provide the schematic

This. And I see this problem a lot with Gottlieb games. Many times on the forums, there have been posts about people not knowing what parts to order because they didn't have a manual.

Plus, you also usually need the parts catalog too.

#35 7 years ago

the game came with the schematics when new, they should have stayed with the game
that they didn't, you should not be penalized

So if you buy a used car and the owners manual isn't there, do you expect GM (or whomever) to have it available for you free of charge?

#36 7 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

So if you buy a used car and the owners manual isn't there, do you expect GM (or whomever) to have it available for you free of charge?

A digital version, yes. Which they do--just pick the year, make, and model:

https://my.gmc.com/learn

I have no qualms about paying for a printed copy because there are printing costs, after all. But these days, a digital copy should be free and readily available.

Plus, hard copies will go out of print eventually. Someone might not be able to obtain a copy a few years down the road. It isn't really very resource intensive to host and distribute a digital file.

#37 7 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

As a business owner, you are in it to make money
you want people to spend money
people will spend more money if you make it easy for them

Free schematics
free parts catalogs
easy to use website
easy payment system
not screw people over on postage

Easy, aint it

#38 7 years ago

people will spend more money if you make it easy for them
Free schematics
free parts catalogs
easy to use website
easy payment system
not screw people over on postage
Easy, aint it

Not to be a jerk but in all seriousness you hit the nail on the head with a sledgehammer. I personally and some others I know will spend far more money with a seller that makes it fast and convenient and most of all helpful by not treating the knowledge or info as classified.
Mike

#39 7 years ago

I'd almost think of it the same as renting a movie, but really on older pins I'd take whatever gets to me quicker to get the damn thing fixed. Same if you can get a printout of a drop target sticker. How much money and effort would you want to put into a $500 pin before you'll never see the $$$ again?

#40 7 years ago

The 1st 2 games I bought had the users manual and schematics w/them. All games should come w/them. I hate it when you look at a game and ask about the manual and some Barney generation dumbass says "you can get them online"..............then why haven't you already and printed it out???????

#41 7 years ago

My take is this, and its solely my opinion. I have 0 issues buying the schematic from PBR, i have bought for my Williams and Gottliebs. I ordered some bulbs, a re-ring kit and a schematic/manual. If someone has purchased/owns the rights and they are making them available for purchase and isn't just sitting on them that is fine. I agree sometimes when you are working on something, and just need to double check something, online would be nice. It would also be cool if as Vid said, you could buy an instant download, and then get the hard copy. There are a ton of people in the world that think all knowledge/information should be free, and i am guilty of that to some extent as well. A lot of people complain about their website, and way of doing business. Is it always the most convenient, no, but when Steve is gone, we will have lost an irreplaceable asset. Same thing on the Arcade side with Bob Roberts. These are people who have so much knowledge. It's really not that big of a deal to make a phone call, or send an email to place an order. And usually if you are genuinely nice, and polite, people go out of their way to help. If they say you don't have pn's explain that is why you are ordering the manual/schematic. Also these are people that once you have ordered from them they will send out your order and let you mail them a check etc when you get it. Oh no i have to go to the post office, or write a check. Not that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things. Sorry for the long post. I get a little long winded sometimes....

#42 7 years ago

@Insane, try paying if you do not live in the USA

I don't live in America, so my personal cheques won't work. The last time I went to the bank to get one made up in US currency, it took two tellers to do it, as it was such a rare thing.
I have not been able to get an international money order from the post office for ten years

#43 7 years ago

Hi
I do not mind paying some money to get an printed schematics. I am thankful I can get any form of "schematics".
IF (if) I do have an schematics I (too often, shame on me) happily do complain "lousy quality, hard to read letters and numbers, obviously a print made from a scanned and worked-over original- mybe scanning and working-over done several times" - many ways to complain.

I believe "In every pin there should be the schematics and (if the manufacturer has made) the manual.
I believe: Selling copies of schematics is a SERVICE to us - would be interesting when PBR would tell us the percentages "X percent of the money we take-in is from selling schematics --- and Y percent is from selling parts" - my wild guessing: X=2...5, Y=98...95.

ForceFlow - You are an Pinside Moderator - may I ask You here - it is about an remark that TimMe made in his post-28 - PBR beeing forced to have an eye on "us not giving away / not to show schematics in public" - otherwise they may loose their license:
AAA: Is the owner of a pin allowed to show snippets of HIS Gottlieb-Schematics when asking for help here in pinside ? A total of XYZ percents of the complete schematics , XYZ is what ? (is 5 percent OK ?)
BBB: The owner does not have a schematics - I happen to have a schematics - same question - XYZ is ?

I am willing to help - no problem to show snippets of ipdb-schematics (and tell it is taken from ipdb) - but I always feel uncomfortable showing*** Gottlieb stuff. I'd appreciate If You do tell us / me about "showing Gottlieb stuff".

showing***: I help myself on my feelings - I show as little / few as possible - I clean out not relates Score-Motor letters and numbers - I "clean out" not related wire-colors --- so it is clearly "helping on a specific problem" - it is NOT showing the schematics. Greetings Rolf

#44 7 years ago

Rolf, in the USA your process of showing "snippets" of copyrighted schematics most likely would be OK under the Fair Use doctrine. You are only using a portion of the copyrighted work, you are not doing it for profit, you are not affecting the ability of the copyright owner to make a profit...these are some of the tests. Of course like all such legal things it is best to confirm with an expert attorney if there is doubt.

The situation in other countries is convoluted by all sorts of different laws per country and various treaties and such. I'm not too familiar with all of those details.

#45 7 years ago

I appreciate everyone's feedback on this. As I said in the first post, I have an opinion on the subject, but I was trying not to skew the results right off the bat by arguing for one side or the other. Now that a considerable number of people have voted and addressed issues on both sides, here are my thoughts on the matter.

I am of the opinion that it would be best for the hobby and for history to preserve a digital copy of every schematic ever produced. Something like a digital Riders Guide to pinball drawings. I'm not sure how we'd go about it, but I think it'd be a project worth pursuing. There is, of course, the copyright issue to contend with...

Steve Young and the law firm that owns Gottlieb have the exclusive legal rights to any IP that Gottlieb/Mylstar/Premier created. There is no denying this or faulting PBR for profiting from a licensing deal they had to pay the Gottlieb asset owners for. Now, that being said, I also am not entirely convinced their exclusive ownership is completely clear to every schematic drawing Gottlieb ever produced. Pre-1976 copyright law put considerable burden on the authors of published works to copyright them. To be considered protected by copyright, a published work had to bear a visible copyright notice with a year of publication and the copyright owner's name. If you published a work with no copyright notice, the work automatically entered the public domain. Looking at my own physical schematics from Williams and Gottlieb, I can't find one that bears a copyright notice. They bear the trademark of the manufacturer, but that doesn't provide you with copyright protection. Looking through the published works of art, plastic arts, technical drawings, etc. section of the Copyright Registrations from 1960 to 1970, I couldn't find any examples of any pinball manufacturer registering their work with the copyright office. That doesn't definitively prove it, I freely admit I am not a copyright lawyer, but it is certainly hard to see how a copyright can be claimed on schematics with no affixed copyright notice and no apparent registration with the US copyright office.

Now, after January 1st, 1978, when the law changed to make anything published instantly copyrighted and requiring no renewals or registrations of any kind, then it doesn't matter what they put on the schematics, they belong to Gottlieb or Williams or whomever published them. With those, some kind of deal would have to be struck to preserve them. Or else we have to wait 90+ years for their copyrights to expire and hope Congress doesn't pass any more extensions to the copyright laws.

All the legal loophole stuff aside, I feel like a lot of others in the thread do, that schematics, parts catalogs, and manuals being freely available will only help parts sellers like PBR, Marco, etc. If I can tell you exactly the part I need, with a part number, and maybe even a reference page in the parts catalog, that should speed up the ordering process considerably. If I can use a schematic to fix a game, then I'm more likely to order a slew of parts to make it look nice on top of just working.

Am I too cheap to shell out $15? No, I've paid as much as $50 for hard to find documentation. But if I could use that $15 to buy a part with instead, it'd make more sense to me. We will always have to rely on parts sellers for parts because they are physical, finite things. If I buy the last pop bumper cap or rollover button, it's gone till someone makes more, if they ever do. Paper documentation, though, can be scanned and sold indefinitely, or it can be scanned and shared with everyone, at no physical loss to anyone. You can still sell your physical copy, and people without giant printers available to them will likely still buy them. Buying a piece of metal or plastic that is finite and had to be made at a cost makes more sense to me than buying a piece of paper that could be copied for free.

There is also the matter of instant gratification. If I can download a schematic and start working on a game right now, rather than waiting a week for a manual to come in the mail, that's a big deal to me. With parts, there is no question you will have to wait for a physical thing to arrive. With a schematic, the only barrier to that instant gratification is a lack of a scan or the lack of the rights to make one.

I don't want this to be a bash PBR thread. I buy my parts from Marco, but I suspect many of them are being resold from Steve Young. He has been a force for preservation in the hobby. I'm frankly terrified of the man, thus the reason I order from Marco. But I feel like clutching at schematics like classified information, as has been referenced several times in the thread, is counter-productive. We have a vast Internet of information at our fingertips, but a section of pinball knowledge is shut off in a very antiquated system. Planetary Pinball has the right idea, with their online parts catalogs and allowing IPDB to continue to share Williams schematics.

I know this post is already too long, so I'll leave it at this. I am of the opinion that sharing technical knowledge is inherently good for the world. I think information that was once freely distributed by the manufacturers to anyone who asked for it, should still be freely distributed today. A database of all schematics and manuals, with the blessings of all rights holders, should exist for the benefit of the entire hobby.

Thanks, again, for the cordial discussion of the subject. I know their are impassioned arguments for both sides, and I find, as with most things, that a solution lies somewhere in the middle, despite no one so far selecting the "Maybe" option.

#46 7 years ago

I have only bought one manual in my lifetime and that was for a Heathkit rejuvenator.

Downloading works for me when I don't have a hard copy. Yeah, some of the quality is meh, but you can usually decifer enough to be useful.

#47 7 years ago

Two observations from this thread.

First, i don't see many musicians or artists posting on this thread. There seem to be many on pinside, but have skipped this topic. I doubt they would side on the free access idea of the issue. If I missed you and you disagree, I'd love to hear your opinion in that context.

Second, there is a large percentage of posters on this thread that haven't donated to Pinside for all the 'free information' they get. So are we as a group freeloaders just trying to rationalize our decisions.

One argument people are making is the easy access needed, which does not equate to being free. If someone set up an iSchematics service, some would still find another excuse and another way to get information for free.

I agree the free exchange of information and knowledge is good for the hobby and most things in life. But the key word there is exchange, not the word free. It means that both parties receive value from sharing something. If PBR or other companies see value in providing the information, like generating more sales, then that's great. However, this can't be decided by the one side of the transaction who is the only one getting something out of it.

#48 7 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

This. And I see this problem a lot with Gottlieb games. Many times on the forums, there have been posts about people not knowing what parts to order because they didn't have a manual.
Plus, you also usually need the parts catalog too.

I have scanned and digitally cleaned up my own hard copies of the Gottlieb 1960, 1964, and 1976 Parts catalogs. I can verify that none of them have any copyright notices.

#49 7 years ago

I have a little difficulty relating the 'free' sharing of pinball schematics to the 'free' sharing of music.
I'd classify music as data that one listens to for enjoyment. That should not be free because the musician worked hard to produce it.
A 1965 pinball schematic is anything but enjoyment reading. It would be applicable to the person that OWNS that 1965 pinball machine and needs to reference the documentation in order to fix that pinball machine. The documentation should have stayed with the machine in the first place. It's unfortunate that the documentation often parts ways with the hardware. But in and of itself, a schematic isn't art that I'm going to frame on the wall nor is it something I'm going to read for pleasure.

I do not have any problem with purchasing a Gottlieb schematic to get a hard copy. But just for a quick reference to answer a question I have, it's unfortunate to have to go through the expense, since it should have come with the pinball machine I'm working on.

#50 7 years ago
Quoted from Black_Knight:

First, i don't see many musicians or artists posting on this thread. There seem to be many on pinside, but have skipped this topic. I doubt they would side on the free access idea of the issue. If I missed you and you disagree, I'd love to hear your opinion in that context.

As a musician, I will tell you that the ONLY money I see is my ASCAP royalty checks a couple times a year, because I am credited with writing the songs.

Artists do not receive performance royalties for musical works (ASCAP/BMI/SESAC) unless they wrote the song. So, Rihanna does not earn performance royalties in musical works when you listen to her on the radio or in a coffee house.

Unless you are selling 500,000 units a year, the record company will not pay you a dime for sales.

The only money you will see is the airplay/jukebox ASCAP checks - and that's ONLY if you are the songwriter.

That's why I tell all bands who are just getting started: Do NOT list the entire band as the songwriters. If you wrote the song, then list ONLY yourself as the songwriter.

If your royalties are $60,000 paid 2x a year, and you listed your whole 5 piece band as the songwriters, you just cut your check down to $12,000.

Long after you have all gone your separate ways, long after the bass player has OD and died, you are still losing all that money to the drummer (who sure did not write any part of the lyrics or melody), the bass player's widow (who was always a bitch), and the singer.......you get the idea.

Since the label does not pay me any longer, I always encourage people to pirate my music as much as they can.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

4,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Richardson, TX
5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dunkirk, MD
Playfield - Plastics
Gameroom Mods

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

1,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Columbus, OH
$ 14.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Twisted Tokens

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

5,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Minneapolis, MN
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 65.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 72.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
DevilsMuse Arcade

$ 85.00
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 65 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/should-schematics-be-free and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.