(Topic ID: 48898)

Should RUSH be the next music pin?

By kidpinballwizard

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Should RUSH be the next music pin?”

• YES YES YES 65 votes
      43%
    • No rush sucks 79 votes
      52%
    • Wait Ii thought the singer a girl 8 votes
      5%

(152 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

rush5.jpg
    rush4.jpg
    rush3.jpg
    rush2.jpg
    rush1.jpg
    rush_logo_wallpaper-normal5_4.jpg
    image.jpg
    bestofthebeast_Iron_Maiden_Album_Artwo.jpg
    image.jpg
    hemispheres-cover.jpg
    RUSHCOLLAGE.jpg
    zz.jpg
    image.jpg
    There are 133 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #51 10 years ago
    Quoted from telmnstr:

No offense to Rush -- I like some of their music -- but I think bands like Pink Floyd would do better commercially. I suppose you have to look at what would be popular in bars?
    I'm actually a bit surprised by the success of the Metallica pin. I listened to them in the 80s and 90s (And Justice for All, Ride the Lightning, Puppets and perhaps the Black Album) but haven't really kept up with them.
    I think the superhero stuff is big from Stern for the movie theater market. I suppose Metallica is for bars and home use?

I'm surprised too. I wonder how many non METLEs have sold. With only a small number of METLEs sold in the US (250?), probably half of them went to flippers.

#52 10 years ago
    Quoted from Gatecrasher:

I would use the artwork from their 1st (and best) album somewhere in the theme.

Quoted from o-din:

They haven't been the same since the switched drummers.

Quoted from vid1900:

Their first album really is their best.

#53 10 years ago

Saw them last year voice was fine and he is one of the better bassist I have ever seen play besides Less Claypool and Flea.

The fans were sort of insane how into it they are and realized I am a fan but rush but not very hardcore to most.

#54 10 years ago

^^^

i wish his voice was "fine"... sadly, what made geddy "geddy" was his ability to screech... that ability is long gone...

#55 10 years ago
    Quoted from 35mm:

saw them in lakeland, fl in the late 70's
    geddy lee's voice is irritating stoned

Still? cough, cough..................

#56 10 years ago
    Quoted from ccotenj:

^^^
    i wish his voice was "fine"... sadly, what made geddy "geddy" was his ability to screech... that ability is long gone...

I am no expert, the sound was very good at concord Pavillion. I will leave this to the bigger Rush fans as I bought my first rush album in 2012, I sort of ignored them in the eighties other than liking there hits.

I adore there long riffs, there instrument playing the lyrics and Geddys voice is just a bonus. In terms of Drummers Neil is one of the better ones I have heard or saw live.

#57 10 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Why does Rush have this reputation of being woman repellant? They don't sing about beating up bitches 'n hoes or whatever.

when i was at there concert there was tons of women there!

#58 10 years ago

@starbase...

if they did nothing but jam for 3 solid hours and never sang a word, i'd be content... i'm not real picky...

that being said, i'm, ummm, "mature" enough to remember seeing them "back in the day", and from a "voice" standpoint, the "young geddy" could really howl... the ability to do that actually started to degrade relatively early, and although he could still hump it up in the studio, he couldn't do it night after night "live"...

#59 10 years ago

the concert i went to Alex messed up in tom sawyers guitar solo, the entire solo was terrible

#60 10 years ago

fwiw, for those who think the band may be too polarizing (although i'm not getting the "women hate rush" theory, there certainly have been plenty of females at the shows i have been to, and that's over the course of 30 some odd years)...

polarizing wouldn't necessarily be a "bad" thing... because those who are on the "positive pole" (for lack of a better term) would be customers that would not otherwise exist... zealotry exists on both poles...

for example, i'm an em guy... i have zero interest in anything made after the 70's... if a rush pin were announced, i would be calling a distributor that very day to get my money in on one... i would just have to have it...

#61 10 years ago

Oh they do have the best light show I have seen in concert too, something I was told about in the eighties. After seeing the blending of light and sound that aspect was amazing and lends itself well to pinball. Imagine if ster consulted with there light guy on lighting design on a rush pin, pretty stellar stuff one can dream but I doubt any of it happens.

Well said cc I concur.

#62 10 years ago

I've been a fan since the late 70's and haven't missed a tour since signals back in '83

and while it's true, that they are a band that most people seem to either love or hate with not much middle ground, there's no denying that they've continued to push the envelope and keep up (if not set the pace) with the rest of the big bands out there.

I, for one, will be glad to see them finally get their due with next month's rock 'n rock hall of fame induction (a long time coming in many fans' eyes)

but, I think if they were to do a machine, I would actually prefer it to be all of their older stuff. even with their first 6 albums, you've got quite a deep catalog to pick from (and I would still love to see an extremely deep rule set for epic songs like 2112, by-tor and snow dog, xanadu, la villa strangiato, hemispheres and cygnus x-1 book II

of course, if they wanted to go the other way, they could do an extremely cool steam punk themed machine and concentrate on their newer material

#63 10 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

I've been a fan since the late 70's and haven't missed a tour since signals back in '83

'82

#64 10 years ago
    Quoted from starbase:

Oh they do have the best light show I have seen in concert too, something I was told about in the eighties. After seeing the blending of light and sound that aspect was amazing and lends itself well to pinball. Imagine if ster consulted with there light guy on lighting design on a rush pin, pretty stellar stuff one can dream but I doubt any of it happens.
    Well said cc I concur.

when i was at there concert last year there was flamethrowers and giant screens hanging from the ceiling!

#65 10 years ago

Begin the day with a friendly voice,
    A companion unobtrusive
    Plays that song that's so elusive
    And the magic music makes your morning mood.

Off on your way, hit the open road,
    There is magic at your fingers
    For the Spirit ever lingers,
    Undemanding contact in your happy solitude.

Invisible airwaves crackle with life
    Bright antenna bristle with the energy
    Emotional feedback on a timeless wavelength
    Bearing a gift beyond price, it's almost free

All this machinery making modern music
    Can still be open-hearted.
    Not so coldly charted, it's really just a question
    Of your honesty, yeah, your honesty.

One likes to believe in the freedom of music,
    But glittering prizes and endless compromises
    Shatter the illusion of integrity.

For the words of the prophets were written on the studio wall,
    Concert hall
    And echoes with the sounds of salesmen. Of salesmen. Of salesmen.

One question: How can that not bring a smile to your face?

I remember when AC/DC was the rumor. There were a lot of haters there, too. Build a great pin and people will buy it.

#66 10 years ago
    Quoted from BackFlipper:

For the words of the prophets were written on the studio wall, Concert hall

And echoes with the sounds of salesmen.

The words of the prophets are written on the subway walls, tenement halls.

And whisper'd in the sounds of silence. - Simon & Garfunkel 1964

#67 10 years ago

From Wikipedia:

"The final lines of the song ("For the words of the profits were written on the studio wall.../Concert hall/And echoes with the sounds of salesmen") are an allusion to the famous final lyrics from the Simon and Garfunkel classic "The Sound of Silence": "...the words of the prophets/Are written on the subway walls/And tenement halls/And whispered in the sounds of silence."

Rush talked about this from day one. It was a tribute.

#68 10 years ago
    Quoted from BackFlipper:

Rush talked about this from day one. It was a tribute.

Yes, that's what makes it so great.

#69 10 years ago

edit: damn. you were correct, they played detroit in november of '82
    (and I still remember losing my WRIF 'rush' bumper sticker and tour book to some hooligan on the way out of the show
    thankfully, they played 2 nights in detroit and a buddy of mine was able to grab me another when he attended the next night

#70 10 years ago

Bytor and the Snowdog.

#71 10 years ago

I am a fan of Rush, but man their concerts suck. I wanted to leave early so bad. A 3hr show with music no one wants to hear. They should have kept the show half as long with the songs they are known for and it would/could have been a great show.

#72 10 years ago
    Quoted from inhomearcades:

I am a fan of Rush, but man their concerts suck. I wanted to leave early so bad. A 3hr show with music no one wants to hear. They should have kept the show half as long with the songs they are known for and it would/could have been a great show.

this is sarcasm, right?

#73 10 years ago
    Quoted from ccotenj:

this is sarcasm, right?

Not at all. I saw them at the United Center a year ago/year and a half ago. 8 of us went and none of us thought it was a good show. Seriously 3-3 1/2 hrs of Rush? I know I am not going to get a great response about this in a Rush pinball thread, but I have to say we were all disappointed it. Playing crap that was new, come on Rush, your time has come and gone, stick to the stuff we all have grown to love you for. They wouldn't even deserve to open for Roger Waters given the performance we saw. Roger Waters puts on a show, even in the United Center.

#74 10 years ago

No, as many readers have already stated so eloquently, next pin should be...

Spinal Tap

-MOF

#75 10 years ago

Not at all. I saw them at the United Center a year ago/year and a half ago. 8 of us went and none of us thought it was a good show. Seriously 3-3 1/2 hrs of Rush?

Who else did you expect at a Rush concert? LOL

#76 10 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Who else did you expect at a Rush concert? LOL

I expected quality not quantity. It was just too long.

#77 10 years ago

Last time I saw Rush was for the Vapor Trails tour- I was blown away- the setlist was a nice mix of old and new.

#78 10 years ago

I've only seen Rush twice and that several years ago but they were awesome.

I've never heard of anyone complaining that they played too long though!

Heck you can always leave if you can't hang. You didn't have to "suffer" through the entire concert if you felt it was that bad. You could have beat the "rush" traffic out.

lol

#79 10 years ago

O'gosh no...
    How about a good music pin for once ? LOL.....

John P. Dayhuff
    Battle Creek, Mi.
    269-979-3836

#80 10 years ago

they always do that. Play all the new stuff they are working on and throw in some of the hits to keep you awake. 3 1/2 hours could have been 2 songs.

#81 10 years ago

I am unable to vote in your poll. Rush is awesome, however I do not want a Rush pin.

#82 10 years ago

Rush. Uggggg. How bout a gay zombie pin instead?

#83 10 years ago

This ones for vid and anybody else that doesn't mind bootleg quality.

#84 10 years ago

No more music pins, please!

Plus, if a Rush pin were made, the ball times would have to be catastrophically long.

#85 10 years ago
    Quoted from ozno:

Rush. Uggggg. How bout a gay zombie pin instead?

I did not think zombies had a preference.

#86 10 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

This ones for vid and anybody else that doesn't mind bootleg quality. » YouTube video

bootleg quality is better than nothing...

gotta love those bell bottoms... i am glad that all photos of me from that era have been destroyed...

#87 10 years ago
    Quoted from Collin:

if a Rush pin were made, the ball times would have to be catastrophically long.

Look at lord of the rings!

#88 10 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

This ones for vid and anybody else that doesn't mind bootleg quality.

They were awesome!

#89 10 years ago

8 of us went and none of us thought it was a good show. Seriously 3-3 1/2 hrs of Rush? ... I have to say we were all disappointed it. Playing crap that was new, come on Rush, your time has come and gone, stick to the stuff we all have grown to love you for.

Thank you for your informative anecdotal evidence from eight people obviously not that into Rush. I wouldn't leave if they played for 12 hours. It's literally amazing that they go for 3.5 hours, often on consecutive nights, at their age.

And their latest album is one of their best, by the way.

#90 10 years ago

^^^

that's kinda like going to a springsteen concert (note: "concert", not "show", rush puts on shows, bruce puts on concerts) and bitching that they played for 4 hours and it was 2 hours too long, because they didn't play just MY favorite 6 or 7 songs and forget about everything else...

#91 10 years ago

I would not Rush to get it. Great band yes but don't see it working for pinball or be as popular as others like an Iron Maiden. On a side note I am for any rock pin to be made so to for it.

#92 10 years ago

Beauty, eh?

rush1.jpgrush1.jpg rush2.jpgrush2.jpg rush3.jpgrush3.jpg rush4.jpgrush4.jpg rush5.jpgrush5.jpg

#93 10 years ago

^^^

$10k by christmas...

#94 10 years ago
    Quoted from ccotenj:

$10k by christmas...

$10k by this afternoon.

#95 10 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

$10k by this afternoon.

bidding war!

it has to go to 11, right?

#96 10 years ago

Limelight mode.

During this mode, the entire playfield is illuminated by lime green LEDs and you complete a series of targets (or rollovers) to complete the "Universal Dream." (10 Billion points or some such)

Truth be told, though - I am MORE on the bandwagon with those seeking a non-music theme for the next year or maybe 2. AC/DC and Metallica have sated that need for now.

#97 10 years ago
    Quoted from DanQverymuch:

Thank you for your informative anecdotal evidence from eight people obviously not that into Rush. I wouldn't leave if they played for 12 hours. It's literally amazing that they go for 3.5 hours, often on consecutive nights, at their age.
    And their latest album is one of their best, by the way.

I would say there are 5 out of the 8 of us that are into Rush. The thing is, Rush did not put on a good show, period. They could care less about acoustics or showmanship. We were not the only ones who thought it was boring and rediculous as there were plenty of people around us that got up and never returned. I also wouldn't quite say that it is amazing they still do what they are doing, impressive sure, not amazing. The last albulm was thier best? Your kidding right? Not only by the numbers is it not their best album the sound doesn't compare to thier old stuff.

Quoted from ccotenj:

^^^
    that's kinda like going to a springsteen concert (note: "concert", not "show", rush puts on shows, bruce puts on concerts) and bitching that they played for 4 hours and it was 2 hours too long, because they didn't play just MY favorite 6 or 7 songs and forget about everything else...

Its not about all the popular stuff, but when they play songs that the majority of the audience has heard once or never, it tends to kill the concert quick.

Bottom line is, they don't deserve a pinball machine, it would not be recieved well and it would be utterly boring. Neil Peart is the only thing they still have going for them.

#98 10 years ago

What a load.

If there is any music pin there can only be one more music pin.

Iggy & The Stooges!

RAW POWER!

#99 10 years ago

Metallica and AC/DC absolutely hit the mark when it comes to music pins, now lets not see another music pin for 5 years. Stern get some creativity. TBL would work.

#100 10 years ago

@inhome...

you forget that the intent of "tours" is to promote the new album....

no comment on the last sentence...

There are 133 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/should-rush-be-the-next-music-pin/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.