2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 31 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by mario_1_up
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

sign.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider drewblood419.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 2 years ago

what would happen if pinball service techs increased their rates to fall inline with the pinflation that has been happening over the last 10 years or so? Nib games were roughly $3500 or so and now they are $8000,$10000 and up to $15000. Roughly what I've always charged for a repair is about $50 an hour. What would happen if repair techs raised it to $150-$200 per hour? Obviously there are different types of collectors out there. Some have money to burn and don't blink an eye at dropping $10000 on a new pin every few months and hey that's cool if you're in a spot in life you can do that more power to ya. Some folks with that kind of coin actually love to work on their on games and enjoy working on them as much as playing them, I have a lot of respect for that and to me those guys are true hobbyists. Then you have the type that will go out and drop $60000-$80000 on a bunch of high end titles have them delivered and setup for them and have no interest in even learning how to remove the glass or navigating the menus (yes I have been called to adjust the volume and clean the underside of the glass before lol) some will pay whatever and just don't care (and that's cool too) but there are some that watch you fix said issue and hem and haw about paying $50-$100 after the repair is complete all the time standing in front of a brand new $10000 game they had no problem purchasing lol. Now I'll say I'm not super flush with cash in fact quite the opposite lol I work maintenance for an apartment complex, and am a single father who has his daughter about 50% of the time and still gladly pays child support because I want the best for her. I have been able to stay in the hobby purely on money made from repair work and buying and selling pins over the years. I love the hobby and the folks I've met along the way. But honestly the prices have increased so much even on older games that need work it's tough to even find a good project these days. That's kind of what got me thinking about what would happen to the market if repair costs tripled. Would the prices on used games needing repair drop? Would the nib buyer that is unable/unwilling to repair their games sell them off to fund newer games with "warranties" or would they pay the piper increasing the pinball funds of repair guys that look to purchase projects? Would nib sales drop forcing a cost reduction of the nib market? What do you guys think? Do you repair your own pins or "pay the piper" ? Lol

#7 2 years ago

I generally base my price on the customers willingness to learn especially if it's a local person new to the hobby. I use $50 as a standard rate currently. But if a customer dives into their game and all I have to do is help them diagnose the issue and even if I personally do the repair itself I don't mind spending 3 hours there "helping" them learn and may only charge the $50 and a few cold beers. But if I show up and start working on the game and they are off in another room and show no interest in learning it's full price at the end of the job. I enjoy the hobby and repair is a big part of the hobby I want them to enjoy it too that's what is most important to me.

#16 2 years ago
    Quoted from Monk:

I would do everything I could to fix them myself and if I couldn't, I would have to do a cost analysis based on what the game is worth and what I would put into it by hiring a repair person (which I basically do already). If the cost of the repair person ends up putting my total cost of the machine well over its worth I would have to sell it as is and move on.

That's pretty much exactly what I was wondering how many people that have no interest or skillset when it comes to working on their own machines would actually keep their machines and pay for the repair service or just sell them at a cheaper price as is and how would it affect both the new in box and used markets/prices? I don't personally have any intention of raising my prices as high as I previously stated lol basically just went off of current pin prices being 3x what they were in the past and putting repair costs on the same inflation scale. Could you imagine paying someone $600-$750 to led a CQ machine Lol

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 224.99
    $ 11.95
    $ 32.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 15.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 369.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 25.00
    Cabinet Parts
    Flashinstinct
    Apparel - Unisex
    ArcadeMade
    $ 96.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 129.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 71.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 25.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    $ 130.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Rods Mods
    $ 150.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 235.00
    Boards
    RS Technologies
    $ 40.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    € 222.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Buthamburg
    $ 1,099.00
    Pinball Machine
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 46.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider drewblood419.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside