Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 31 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by mario_1_up
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

sign.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Joker2415.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#30 7 years ago

The only reason I have the games I have right now is because I like working on stuff. But I'm at the low end of the pinball collecting world.

In the past I worked on Pocket and mechanical watches as a hobby. This kind of reminds me of that. Rare parts got more and more expensive, cleaning solvents, tools, etc ... to do it right aren't cheap anymore. Even new parts(if you can find them) don't just drop in and have to be worked on the lathe to get it just right. etc..... The older crowd wanted to pay the same price that their "friend" use to charge. New collectors didn't care, most of them were flippers, as long as the total price of their broken watch and the repair would make them a little on the end. Basically all types of collectors.

How do you charge? I had to constantly change prices depending on who I was doing the work for. If it was a guy that brought me tons of work and it was good stuff "clean broken stuff" , I'd cut a break, to keep him coming back! Then there were guys that bought complete mutilated hacked up crap that wanted it fixed and complained about price or something wasn't perfect. You don't want those guys as customers in any hobby!!

I would imagine it's like any hobby and repair. Depends on the person doing the repair! Some people get a reputation and people flock just to say "I had so and so fix my machine!!!". And will pay about anything for the bragging rights!

The area, era of machine, etc..... I don't see how you guys could charge a flat rate, or hourly type price. Maybe a minimum. And by job.

Cars are different prices! Your not going to get your Luxury car fixed for the same rate as the old chevette. Watches are the same too! I cost way more to have a Patek or rolex cleaned than it does the old timex in the drawer! So, I think your right! As the hobby grows repair will change, and pricing to reflect the value of the game.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Joker2415.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/should-repair-costs-increase-inline-with-pinflation?tu=Joker2415 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.