(Topic ID: 321685)

Should Pinside Have a Deal Rating System?

By Sweetwillie

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by CrazyLevi
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Should Pinside Have a Ratings System for Asking Prices of Pins?”

• Yes. It would discourage price gougers, and save me some time. 10 votes
      33%
    • No. It’s perfect as is. And impossible to implement. 14 votes
      47%
    • Who cares? Shut up. Go to sleep.. 6 votes
      20%

(30 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20220904-204609_Messenger (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20220904-204616_Messenger (resized).jpg
    #1 1 year ago

I’ve been using Pinside for the past year, and I’m an avid collector and player. I have rarely posted anything. I’m just wondering if there could and should be a rating system of whether a pin is a good deal, or overpriced etc. in the listing? Like Car gurus or tru car? You could filter good or great deals etc and pull them up first. I know most people know what games should cost, but it could be a useful tool, and maybe discourage people from posting ridiculously high prices? No one is going to pay $7900 for a TMNT PRO when you can order one NIB from a dealer for less than that. That’s just a made up example, but I see stuff like this over and over. Just thinking out loud, but I think it would be helpful as far as organization, and keep prices more in line…

#2 1 year ago

Rating things does not seem to work well on Pinside
    The Game rankings are one of the most hated features on the site

#3 1 year ago

It already has one!

Just go here and search by recent sales for whatever title:

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/archive

#4 1 year ago

Why do people continue to delude themselves into thinking something can be done to “keep prices in line?”

If you don’t like the asking price on a game, don’t buy it. That’s all you can do to “keep prices in line.”

#5 1 year ago

Good points and it may not be anything that could work. But if I go to “Seat Geeks” looking for football tickets, I’m only going to look at decent deals or good deals. Maybe people wouldn’t put up ridiculously over priced games if no one was even going to look at it. I guess it’s easy enough to weed out that stuff as it is. Still like the idea. Probably not realistic. I have had a few Heinekens…

#6 1 year ago

The problem is that price is so different on the same pin depending on its condition. Also people have vastly different idea of what condition any given pin would be considered. That and the rate at which prices fluctuate over any period of time would make it very difficult to implement. It's not a bad idea, ot would just be difficult to make it happen.

#7 1 year ago

Here is your case and point. How much is this paragon worth? Nice ones go for 3800. How do you account for this?

Incidently... this is part of a trade offer on my fathom so let me know.

Screenshot_20220904-204609_Messenger (resized).jpgScreenshot_20220904-204609_Messenger (resized).jpgScreenshot_20220904-204616_Messenger (resized).jpgScreenshot_20220904-204616_Messenger (resized).jpg
    #8 1 year ago

Sellers could grade their playfields, cabinets etc. could make it part of the filter. Some buyers are looking for like new, and others are looking to refurbish. It’s all in the filter.

#9 1 year ago
    Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Here is your case and point. How much is this paragon worth? Nice ones go for 3800. How do you account for this?
    Incidently... this is part of a trade offer on my fathom so let me know.
    [quoted image][quoted image]

That is not in very good condition. How are the boards and backglass?

#10 1 year ago
    Quoted from Sweetwillie:

Sellers could grade their playfields, cabinets etc. could make it part of the filter. Some buyers are looking for like new, and others are looking to refurbish.

Most of these descriptors are subjective.
    Especially to newer members or trolls who think a game with cabinet fade, dirt ground into the playfield from 10 yr old balls etc is an HOU machine.

#11 1 year ago

Pinside average prices are behind what games are actually selling for. I think Pinside would rate most for sale ads as bad deals.

#12 1 year ago
    Quoted from Sweetwillie:

Sellers could grade their playfields, cabinets etc. could make it part of the filter. Some buyers are looking for like new, and others are looking to refurbish. It’s all in the filter.

Problem is

Quoted from Daditude:

That is not in very good condition. How are the boards and backglass?

Backglass is okay. Guy says "would work" by time of trade. I'm thinking 2200.

#13 1 year ago

How about a rating system for buyers who pay too much?

#14 1 year ago

I’d like a filter to weed out ads with overused phrases such as “best I’ve ever seen”.

#15 1 year ago

Any sort of sales/deals/condition rating system would be too subjective to be of any use. I saw a thread a few days ago where someone thought an EM playfield worn to the wood was 9/10 for its age.

These systems have been suggested many times in the past. If it were easy to implement, and easy to agree upon a common standard, it would've been done already. But each game is different, even between games of the same title.

If there is truly a good deal, it doesn't last long--sometimes it only takes minutes to sell. So there's not usually much point in marking them in some way. People watch sales listings like hawks hoping for a good deal.

However, there are a few podcasts that do segments where the hosts look at ads and prices and offer their opinions, such as the slam tilt podcast. Those are probably more helpful and informative for folks who are still learning about game titles and game condition.

#16 1 year ago
    Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Problem is

Backglass is okay. Guy says "would work" by time of trade. I'm thinking 2200.

If it is fully working, the boards are good, and the backglass is decent...I would offer 2000. If they are in bad shape, I would deduct from that amount. The playfield has a lot of wear and the cabinet fade is rough. It is a very fun game, but those things certainly take away from it.

#17 1 year ago

Don't forget the $3k in mods that every machine seems to have now. Accounting for that is another hurdle. I don't think we need a "deal rating system" I don't think most non-trolling people are wading through hundreds of new ads a day trying to buy a pin. I can look at the 5-10 I see and pretty quickly figure out if I'm interested or not.

#18 1 year ago

Don't forget that location is important too. Cali prices aren't the same as Midwest prices and so forth.

#19 1 year ago

Once again a brutal truth comes into focus…

Try as we might to force it into reality with hundreds of fallacies a year, pinball machines just aren’t like cars.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/should-pinside-have-a-deal-rating-system and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.