(Topic ID: 223118)

Should NOB sales be required to provide the box?

By Deez

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 115 posts
  • 62 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by poppapin
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

beating a dead horse (resized).png
    Save your box for gloryhole.jpg
    FORT (resized).jpg
    04C4DD71-B647-4C8A-82E8-F3D1DA9B5592 (resized).jpeg
    75ADB805-5E89-4C69-91C0-64991BB254AA (resized).jpeg
    8B9DFE56-09D2-439B-A1E0-6BAA6581A327 (resized).jpeg
    FA61D8F5-4579-4F47-A0DC-F4E1EDACBEC8 (resized).jpeg
    4218505F-2205-4D1F-B9F6-41DF5410B98B (resized).jpeg
    cardboard (resized).png
    5F1417C9-9D0C-4790-BC32-EB6273C6B57D-3133-000002A872B1A03F_tmp (resized).jpg
    2ft66o (resized).jpg
    9B7AC8DE-6657-4C37-A0E2-45F0B9015470 (resized).jpeg
    571209AB-3F17-4F6A-95A9-660B14FBE0AE (resized).jpeg
    the box (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider deez.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

I keep seeing machines listed as new out of box but no pictures of the actual box. How can one prove there was actually a box involved if the box is not provided. I am curious about everyone's thoughts about creating a rule that if you list a game as NOB you have to provide the box. Without the box the game is just HUO, which in my mind is completely inferior in terms of collectibility and shaves tens of dollars off the value.

#7 5 years ago

Maybe another option needs to be added for NOB undocumented? So you just have to take the person's word there was a box involved and judge on condition? I personally keep all my boxes. The box is a vital part of the pinball experience.

#11 5 years ago
    Quoted from TimeBandit:

Are your boxes NOM? New Off Machine?

One thing that's also important to me is matching numbers on the box. I wouldn't put it past some of the shadier people in this hobby to pass off non-matching serial number box when selling a NOB.

#12 5 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I mean, at some point there was a box involved.

What if the box was damaged in shipping?

#17 5 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

There was still a box, lol.
    NOB is silly.

Then what's the difference between HUO and NOB?

#22 5 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

There isn't one, I completely agree with you.
    I'm making a joke about the box.

Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

There isn't one, I completely agree with you.
    I'm making a joke about the box.

#43 5 years ago
    Quoted from jar155:

NOB is the dumbest thing. There was nothing wrong with NIB, HUO, and Used. There's a reason to differentiate between used and only used in a home. Obviously new in box is needed. New out of box is ridiculous. It's out of the box and played, it's home use only now. I've seen listings with NOB used for a game that had over 200 plays. This is stupid.

But what if it comes with a box with matching serial numbers in VG+ original condition? That isn't just HUO it's NOB and worth tens of dollars more than HUO. Of course a restored box lowers the value significantly over original.

#46 5 years ago
    Quoted from bigehrl:

there's a very fine line between satire and mental instability. this thread is proof.

The lack of ability to identify satire is amazing.

#53 5 years ago

The fact of the matter is, without a box. Every single game is really NOB since apparently playing a pin doesn't make it used. It's probably because you're not actually using it you're playing it which is vastly different. Now if you do use it for something like to stand on when changing a lightbulb, to set your tools on while working on another game etc then it would be HUO.

#79 5 years ago
    Quoted from ovfdfireman:

If the box is important to the buyer, then they pay more or less based on the perceived value of the box.

I don't know about anyone else but a mint box is def worth tens of dollars to me.

#83 5 years ago
    Quoted from bayoubilly70:

Get a climate controlled storage area. Do not stack the boxes on top of each other.

+1

#89 5 years ago
    Quoted from BoJo:

Since machines are sometimes tested at Stern then how do you confirm NOB vs HUO? I have opened NIB games and seen ball marks, dimples, etc from Stern. So someone looking at the machine might think those are from the owner playing it.
    Does it store the date of the last factory reset? That would really be the only way to prove it's the same as when it left the factory and never been played. Otherwise the owner could have just done a factory reset after a few games and call it NOB.

This is a good point. It's almost like NOB shouldn't be a thing?

1 month later
    #104 5 years ago

So I think I messed up. I wasn't really thinking and cut the front of the box of my Deadpool to get the game out. Since the box is sort of destroyed, when I go to sell the game can is still be NOB? How much of a hit am I going to take for this mistake? You should never drink and unbox!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider deez.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/should-nob-sales-be-required-to-provide-the-box?tu=deez and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.