(Topic ID: 223118)

Should NOB sales be required to provide the box?

By Deez

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 115 posts
  • 62 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by poppapin
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

beating a dead horse (resized).png
    Save your box for gloryhole.jpg
    FORT (resized).jpg
    04C4DD71-B647-4C8A-82E8-F3D1DA9B5592 (resized).jpeg
    75ADB805-5E89-4C69-91C0-64991BB254AA (resized).jpeg
    8B9DFE56-09D2-439B-A1E0-6BAA6581A327 (resized).jpeg
    FA61D8F5-4579-4F47-A0DC-F4E1EDACBEC8 (resized).jpeg
    4218505F-2205-4D1F-B9F6-41DF5410B98B (resized).jpeg
    cardboard (resized).png
    5F1417C9-9D0C-4790-BC32-EB6273C6B57D-3133-000002A872B1A03F_tmp (resized).jpg
    2ft66o (resized).jpg
    9B7AC8DE-6657-4C37-A0E2-45F0B9015470 (resized).jpeg
    571209AB-3F17-4F6A-95A9-660B14FBE0AE (resized).jpeg
    the box (resized).jpg
    There are 115 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 5 years ago

I keep seeing machines listed as new out of box but no pictures of the actual box. How can one prove there was actually a box involved if the box is not provided. I am curious about everyone's thoughts about creating a rule that if you list a game as NOB you have to provide the box. Without the box the game is just HUO, which in my mind is completely inferior in terms of collectibility and shaves tens of dollars off the value.

#2 5 years ago

It's all buzz words and marketing tactics. Pay the price the machine is worth, and you'll be happy. If you want a box, then buy NIB. If you're are willing to pay NIB prices for "NOB" games, then that's on you. What are you gonna do with the box anyway? Put it back in? How about asking for a receipt?

#3 5 years ago

When did "NOB" become a term? Even if it is in perfect condition, if it's out of the box, it's not "new"

#4 5 years ago

I'm in favor of creating a rule that if you list a game as NOB, you are a nob.

#5 5 years ago

NOB needs to go away. Once it’s open and setup it’s used....HUO

#6 5 years ago

I think the term is definitely Kinda New Out of the Box..KNOB

#7 5 years ago

Maybe another option needs to be added for NOB undocumented? So you just have to take the person's word there was a box involved and judge on condition? I personally keep all my boxes. The box is a vital part of the pinball experience.

#8 5 years ago

How about NKOTB.
    Oh wait, that’s an old boy band, not another new stupid description for a huo game which in itself is hard to prove. As stated above, condition is the only thing that matters.

#9 5 years ago
    Quoted from Deez:

I personally keep all my boxes. The box is a vital part of the pinball experience.

Are your boxes NOM? New Off Machine?

#10 5 years ago
    Quoted from Deez:

there was a box involved and judge on condition

I mean, at some point there was a box involved.

#11 5 years ago
    Quoted from TimeBandit:

Are your boxes NOM? New Off Machine?

One thing that's also important to me is matching numbers on the box. I wouldn't put it past some of the shadier people in this hobby to pass off non-matching serial number box when selling a NOB.

#12 5 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I mean, at some point there was a box involved.

What if the box was damaged in shipping?

#13 5 years ago

If I get a NOB with a bad or damaged box I usually do my best to restore the box.
    It's been hard though due to the lack of a "VID's Guide to Box Restoration" thread... One day though, one day!

#14 5 years ago

Anyone knowledgeable about pinball knows that the term NOB is ridiculous and meaningless and should stay away from any seller using it.

#15 5 years ago
    Quoted from mrm_4:

If I get a NOB with a bad or damaged box I usually do my best to restore the box.
    It's been hard though due to the lack of a "VID's Guide to Box Restoration" thread... One day though, one day!

LOL

#16 5 years ago
    Quoted from Deez:

What if the box was damaged in shipping?

There was still a box, lol.

NOB is silly.

#17 5 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

There was still a box, lol.
    NOB is silly.

Then what's the difference between HUO and NOB?

#18 5 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballmike217:

Anyone knowledgeable about pinball knows that the term NOB is ridiculous and meaningless and should stay away from any seller using it.

This is what I think. A thing isn’t new once it’s out of the box. This is not a real term. Unless you’re buying the game unopened, -in a box- it is USED.

I get what Matt is getting at here but IMO this shouldn’t be a term we put any weight to. HUO makes sense because it conveys a (likely) level of care that a routed game probably wouldn’t have had put to it, and therefore less likely to have issues.

#19 5 years ago
    Quoted from Deez:

There isn't one, I completely agree with you.

I'm making a joke about the box.

#20 5 years ago

Where did that box restoration thread go?
    Seems like a re-stenciled serial number on the box is fine, as long as the seller discloses that it's restored and not original.

#21 5 years ago

Stencils used must be licensed or I won't touch a reworked box

#22 5 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

#23 5 years ago

I send all my beat up boxes to HEB for full restores.

#24 5 years ago

No box, no deal. I need extra cardboard to help me move pins. Don’t be selfish.

#25 5 years ago
    Quoted from mrm_4:

I would just send the box to HEP.

#26 5 years ago

So how long does the duration of NOB status last...?

I've got a few pins that have been NOB for the last two or three years... I'm guessing they're worth more right...

#27 5 years ago

So my rz must be super rare as it's never been in a box? Picked it up direct it was just shrink wrapped at the factory. Never had a chance to be a nob

#28 5 years ago

No such thing as nob. Unless you’re a distributor and the box was destroyed in transit, but game ok. Otherwise it is USED.

#29 5 years ago

NOB is pointless. HUO is pointless. I have two huo games, there is a night and day difference between them in terms of condition. Doesn't matter what I say, idiots will continue to use them because other idiots will see value in them.

#30 5 years ago
    Quoted from Deez:

Deez I now have the answer.

NOB means the machine was setup for a showroom store or a show but was not played, it just sat there in attract mode.

HUO means the machine was setup and played in a home environment with several plays on machine but has never left home and gone to a pinball show or on a route to be played by 250 different players.

I hope this clears the air on the definition.
    -Mike

#31 5 years ago

These marketing tactics are getting ridiculous. Our local forum currently has a guy trying to sell a machine for 3099.99... really? Just list it for 3100.

I wouldn't buy a game from anyone who is laying on the thick marketing BS.

#32 5 years ago

NOB still should have the packing strap and materials on (just unboxed). If its been set up and played its HUO

Agreed its an unnecessary term. Just say 'first owner' in your description.

#33 5 years ago
    Quoted from Maken:

These marketing tactics are getting ridiculous. Our local forum currently has a guy trying to sell a machine for 3099.99... really? Just list it for 3100.
    I wouldn't buy a game from anyone who is laying on the thick marketing BS.

I've got an original AFM for sale for $2999.

You aren't buying on principle?

#34 5 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

BIN!

That aside, will you take the bribe, or The Mystery Box?!?

the box (resized).jpgthe box (resized).jpg
    #35 5 years ago

This whole topic is stupid! Nonetheless, when I pulled my AFM LE out of the box, I didn't want to save the entire box since it takes up so much space, so I cut off the section of the box where the name of the game and serial numbers appear and stored them with the game. When I decide to sell it, those, along with the pics I took of the game as it came off the truck should be enough to prove its provenance. Along with its mint condition due to low use. For whatever all of that is worth!

#36 5 years ago

pictures of box - yes....the actual physical box - zero chance

#37 5 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Nice try, but guys using these tactics are typically never selling for a deal.

#38 5 years ago

dupe

#39 5 years ago

My point is who gives a shit.

You don't buy a big mac because it costs $3.99 instead of $4?

You shouldn't let stuff like this get to you.

#40 5 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

My point is who gives a shit.
    You don't buy a big mac because it costs $3.99 instead of $4?
    You shouldn't let stuff like this get to you.

Point is, like WacArnolds, people who use these marketing tactics are often trying to pull one over on you. It's just not a good sign.

Prefer to buy from sellers who post lots of pics and let the condition do the talking, rather than those who drum up terms like NOB or are trying to make the listed price appear cheaper by reducing it by 1 cent.

#41 5 years ago

NOB is the dumbest thing. There was nothing wrong with NIB, HUO, and Used. There's a reason to differentiate between used and only used in a home. Obviously new in box is needed. New out of box is ridiculous. It's out of the box and played, it's home use only now. I've seen listings with NOB used for a game that had over 200 plays. This is stupid.

#42 5 years ago

If it came out of the box had the legs put on or plunged one ball and they still have the box it would be UIB. (Used in box)

#43 5 years ago
    Quoted from jar155:

NOB is the dumbest thing. There was nothing wrong with NIB, HUO, and Used. There's a reason to differentiate between used and only used in a home. Obviously new in box is needed. New out of box is ridiculous. It's out of the box and played, it's home use only now. I've seen listings with NOB used for a game that had over 200 plays. This is stupid.

But what if it comes with a box with matching serial numbers in VG+ original condition? That isn't just HUO it's NOB and worth tens of dollars more than HUO. Of course a restored box lowers the value significantly over original.

#44 5 years ago

I’m waiting for the box remakes.

#45 5 years ago

there's a very fine line between satire and mental instability. this thread is proof.

#46 5 years ago
    Quoted from bigehrl:

there's a very fine line between satire and mental instability. this thread is proof.

The lack of ability to identify satire is amazing.

#47 5 years ago
    Quoted from bigehrl:

amen.

#48 5 years ago

You have to be careful with box restorations, the practice is still relatively new and some amateurs are using Rustoleum to stencil the serial numbers instead of the original ink from the shipping yards. Also saving a few pennies with thinner ply cardboard will come back to haunt you in the long run. I know from experience

#49 5 years ago

what will be the next box VE ?

#50 5 years ago

I heard CGC is releasing BOXr

There are 115 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/should-nob-sales-be-required-to-provide-the-box?hl=jetkraus0 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.