(Topic ID: 223118)

Should NOB sales be required to provide the box?

By Deez

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 115 posts
  • 62 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by poppapin
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

beating a dead horse (resized).png
    Save your box for gloryhole.jpg
    FORT (resized).jpg
    04C4DD71-B647-4C8A-82E8-F3D1DA9B5592 (resized).jpeg
    75ADB805-5E89-4C69-91C0-64991BB254AA (resized).jpeg
    8B9DFE56-09D2-439B-A1E0-6BAA6581A327 (resized).jpeg
    FA61D8F5-4579-4F47-A0DC-F4E1EDACBEC8 (resized).jpeg
    4218505F-2205-4D1F-B9F6-41DF5410B98B (resized).jpeg
    cardboard (resized).png
    5F1417C9-9D0C-4790-BC32-EB6273C6B57D-3133-000002A872B1A03F_tmp (resized).jpg
    2ft66o (resized).jpg
    9B7AC8DE-6657-4C37-A0E2-45F0B9015470 (resized).jpeg
    571209AB-3F17-4F6A-95A9-660B14FBE0AE (resized).jpeg
    the box (resized).jpg

There are 115 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #51 5 years ago

Unless you're volunteering to be the pinball sales police and go out and verify for each sale that there's a box, then it's not worth bringing up. People will use whatever terminology they feel. Some of it is goofy, and there's nothing anyone can do about it.

*** I hope you're not going to volunteer to be the sales police, there's better uses for your time.

Forget terminology, if you're buying a machine, give it a good going over and buy it if you think the price is fair, or don't buy it if you think it is not.

#52 5 years ago

Let's not get started on the definition of "shopped"

#53 5 years ago

The fact of the matter is, without a box. Every single game is really NOB since apparently playing a pin doesn't make it used. It's probably because you're not actually using it you're playing it which is vastly different. Now if you do use it for something like to stand on when changing a lightbulb, to set your tools on while working on another game etc then it would be HUO.

#54 5 years ago

IMO. It’s either NIB or used. From there the description should include HUO our Routed.

After that you can then describe how it was cared for, how many plays, how often it was cleaned. Etc...

Dirk: where in the heck do you keep your boxes? No way would I have room for mine. Plus the way I open and setup my machines the box gets cut into at least 6 pieces. And my trash folks are VERY happy I do that I am sure!!

#55 5 years ago

I have a very nice box I'll be placing in the market soon. Only one move in last 4 years. Pics and ad to follow.

#56 5 years ago

I went to see what pinside classifieds says for NOB and the only caveat is “first owner.” If NOB is going to be an option, it should be “first owner, never played”
    Also they added OIB for machines that are in a box but are over 3 years old... wtf!

What was wrong with New, used working 100%, light project, or major project?

#57 5 years ago

I think having the original box makes the pin look better than just sitting on the side of the road. It can make any pin seem imamaculate

571209AB-3F17-4F6A-95A9-660B14FBE0AE (resized).jpeg571209AB-3F17-4F6A-95A9-660B14FBE0AE (resized).jpeg
    #58 5 years ago

Umm.. I'm sure it's been said before but............ WTF??

#59 5 years ago

im going to re-list my Houdini NOB and include this in the pix!!

9B7AC8DE-6657-4C37-A0E2-45F0B9015470 (resized).jpeg9B7AC8DE-6657-4C37-A0E2-45F0B9015470 (resized).jpeg
    #60 5 years ago

NOB= bogus term.

If it's out of the box, it aint new anymore.

Or perhaps we would need to know why it was removed from the box and not played.

#61 5 years ago

NOB sadly is not a "sales tactic" or wording, its an official Pinside term.

#62 5 years ago

the only way NOB would be a thing is if you had someone who was stupid rich, took delivery of a machine, had it set up and never, ever played it. in which case, the acronym should be SRNBNLIB (stupid rich, new but no longer inside box)

I think that all routed or player condition machines should start using this acronym
    OCBIAYTMWONIB
    (ok condition but I assure you this machine was once new in box)

#63 5 years ago

ANOBLTSHPILTY

#64 5 years ago
    2ft66o (resized).jpg2ft66o (resized).jpg
    #65 5 years ago
    Quoted from Deez:

But what if it comes with a box with matching serial numbers in VG+ original condition? That isn't just HUO it's NOB and worth tens of dollars more than HUO. Of course a restored box lowers the value significantly over original.

Ok it actually took this long for me to get it too..lol well done

#66 5 years ago
    Quoted from Grizlyrig:

Fattdirk I now have the answer.
    NOB means the machine was setup for a showroom store or a show but was not played, it just sat there in attract mode.
    HUO means the machine was setup and played in a home environment with several plays on machine but has never left home and gone to a pinball show or on a route to be played by 250 different players.
    I hope this clears the air on the definition.
    -Mike

So, what do you call one that was set up at a show and played? In the automotive world it would be called a Demo, or demonstrator, driven by a salesman. It is technically still a new car since it has not been registered and still has the factory paperwork.

#67 5 years ago

Almost New Out Of Box Less Than Six Hundred Plays In Last Twelve Years. In case you were wondering....

#68 5 years ago

New in box = NIB

New in box opened I had a peek = NIBOIHAP

New in box unopened pot luckI don't know what's inside = NIBUPLIDKWI

New out of the box = NOB

New out of the box just pulled it out and left it sitting here untouched = NIBJPOLSHU

New out of the box I am looking for a stupid fish = NOBIALFASF

Home use only = HUO

Undocumented home use only = UHUO (if this makes no sense to you see below for clarification)

Undocumented home use only doesn't mean shit I'm only trying to fleece you= UHOUDMSIOTTFY

#69 5 years ago

About 10 years ago, I looked at a NOB TAFG for a friend who was interested in buying. A local guy bought two of them. He opened one to play and was going to keep the other as an investment. At some point, the box on the second one got wet, so he took the game out. It was pretty obvious a ball had never been played on this second game. It was beautiful.

On a side note, I offered the guy $15,000 (for my friend). He declined my offer. He had it listed on Ebay and wanted to see how high it would go. My friend ended up getting it for $12,500.

#70 5 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

So, what do you call one that was set up at a show and played? In the automotive world it would be called a Demo, or demonstrator, driven by a salesman. It is technically still a new car since it has not been registered and still has the factory paperwork.

We have actually seen this in the marketplace where distros described them as being "show demos" and usually list the # of plays from thr audits.
    -Mike

#71 5 years ago

Only one person can buy the game new, thats the original buyer. “He who holds the receipt from the authorized dealer”. They get the “new” machine with warranty. No one else.

#72 5 years ago
    Quoted from ovfdfireman:

Only one person can buy the game new, thats the original buyer. “He who holds the receipt from the authorized dealer”. They get the “new” machine with warranty. No one else.

True with the warranty, however if they unbox it, and then sell it immediately, the buyer has a right to a near mint box right? Especially if it’s advertised as NOB.

#73 5 years ago

The opinions on this topic could go on forever without ever having resolution or closure.
    -Mike

#74 5 years ago
    Quoted from mrm_4:

If I get a NOB with a bad or damaged box I usually do my best to restore the box.
    It's been hard though due to the lack of a "VID's Guide to Box Restoration" thread... One day though, one day!

Hahahaha

#75 5 years ago

I bought an Iron Maiden LE from someone who bought it and kept it for a few weeks. Stern is honoring the warranty even though I'm the second owner, so your mileage may vary.

#76 5 years ago
    Quoted from crwjumper:

I bought an Iron Maiden LE from someone who bought it and kept it for a few weeks. Stern is honoring the warranty even though I'm the second owner, so your mileage may vary.

That's great, but what about the box?

#77 5 years ago

Shouldn't it be NOOB = New Out of Box ?

#78 5 years ago
    Quoted from mrm_4:

True with the warranty, however if they unbox it, and then sell it immediately, the buyer has a right to a near mint box right? Especially if it’s advertised as NOB.

It doesn’t matter, I think out of box means just that, there may not be a box. Not sure it really matters. I think there is no one size fits all, if it’s out of box then why? Are there plays? Is there freight damage? The pricing etc then has to be negotiated between the buyer and sell based on the circumstances. If the box is important to the buyer, then they pay more or less based on the perceived value of the box.

Not a box is a “requirement” for everyone

#79 5 years ago
    Quoted from ovfdfireman:

If the box is important to the buyer, then they pay more or less based on the perceived value of the box.

I don't know about anyone else but a mint box is def worth tens of dollars to me.

#80 5 years ago

NOOB would have to be the game taken out of the box without any games on it... perhaps to verify/inspect the game? After there's some play on it, it goes to HUO.

So perhaps there is room for 'NOOB', or 'NOB' or whatever it is. Regardless, this whole "keep the box... include the box" ... "deal fell through because no box .... box had metal staples removed and wouldn't budge on the price..."... thread is pretty funny.

#81 5 years ago

How do you all store your boxes? I'm trying to figure out the best method so they dont get crinkled and lower resale value. I thought about storing them in the basement, but eww spider webs. Spiders on boxes means I pay less. Anyone have any good solutions?

#82 5 years ago
    Quoted from BrewNinja:

How do you all store your boxes? I'm trying to figure out the best method so they dont get crinkled and lower resale value. I thought about storing them in the basement, but eww spider webs. Spiders on boxes means I pay less. Anyone have any good solutions?

Get a climate controlled storage area. Do not stack the boxes on top of each other.

#83 5 years ago
    Quoted from bayoubilly70:

Get a climate controlled storage area. Do not stack the boxes on top of each other.

+1

#84 5 years ago

If anyone wants a slightly weathered (okay it's beat to sh*t) Iron Maiden LE box they can go dive in my dumpster for it...

I tore that thing open like Ralphie on Christmas morning.

NOB is not a thing and I can't believe it is even allowed as a listing option. It's beyond stupid.

#86 5 years ago

Has anyone tried the Williams leg brackets in the corners?

#87 5 years ago

My local distributor delivers NIB pins locally and will open it and set it up prior to delivering. They will also gladly deliver it boxed and not setup. They don’t advertise NOB or whatever, but it’s a solid service (setting it up prior) from a mega trustworthy source if that’s what you desire and it still falls under NIB as far as I am concerned.

#88 5 years ago

Since machines are sometimes tested at Stern then how do you confirm NOB vs HUO? I have opened NIB games and seen ball marks, dimples, etc from Stern. So someone looking at the machine might think those are from the owner playing it.

Does it store the date of the last factory reset? That would really be the only way to prove it's the same as when it left the factory and never been played. Otherwise the owner could have just done a factory reset after a few games and call it NOB.

#89 5 years ago
    Quoted from BoJo:

Since machines are sometimes tested at Stern then how do you confirm NOB vs HUO? I have opened NIB games and seen ball marks, dimples, etc from Stern. So someone looking at the machine might think those are from the owner playing it.
    Does it store the date of the last factory reset? That would really be the only way to prove it's the same as when it left the factory and never been played. Otherwise the owner could have just done a factory reset after a few games and call it NOB.

This is a good point. It's almost like NOB shouldn't be a thing?

#90 5 years ago

So this is a NOBrainer. A pin is NOB at the manufacturer, then it's shipped NIB and NOB again when opened by the customer. Unless a box got damaged at the manufacturer before delivery and re-boxed, then it was NOB, then NIB, then NOB again, then NIB again when shipped then finally NOB for the 3rd time when the customer opened it.

#91 5 years ago
    Quoted from Deez:

This is a good point. It's almost like NOB shouldn't be a thing?

Ohh realy? You think?

#92 5 years ago
    5F1417C9-9D0C-4790-BC32-EB6273C6B57D-3133-000002A872B1A03F_tmp (resized).jpg5F1417C9-9D0C-4790-BC32-EB6273C6B57D-3133-000002A872B1A03F_tmp (resized).jpg
    #93 5 years ago

Got a great lead for a box warehouse raid this weekend. Anyone want to join me?

cardboard (resized).pngcardboard (resized).png
    #94 5 years ago
    Quoted from Black_Knight:

Got a great lead for a box warehouse raid this weekend. Anyone want to join me?[quoted image]

I dunno. most of those look a bit worse for wear (and stained with the tears of box collectors that were forced to downsize their collections

btw, if I put my MET monsters premium back in the box to sell, would it be UTBNIBWPAEBNINMSIBITBBNLNIB?
    (used to be new in box, was played and enjoyed, but now I need money, so it's back in the box but no longer new in box)

#95 5 years ago

Does anyone know a good place for reproduction boxes? I really wasn't thinking much and cut one of mine up to use under the car. Definitely need to get that climate controlled storage to stop this from happening again.

#96 5 years ago

I came across a Deadpool box if anyone’s interested PM me

4218505F-2205-4D1F-B9F6-41DF5410B98B (resized).jpeg4218505F-2205-4D1F-B9F6-41DF5410B98B (resized).jpeg
    #97 5 years ago
    Quoted from mrm_4:

I came across a Deadpool box if anyone’s interested PM me
    [quoted image]

let the bidding begin!

#98 5 years ago

Do the serial numbers match??

#99 5 years ago

This is NOB - setting up for customer, confirming all is good. Adding a shaker, sound system, mirror blades, and a set of protectors. Never owned by anyone else, brand new, full warranty. Customer had the option to take the box (of course).

Greg M
    Pinballpro.com

75ADB805-5E89-4C69-91C0-64991BB254AA (resized).jpeg75ADB805-5E89-4C69-91C0-64991BB254AA (resized).jpeg8B9DFE56-09D2-439B-A1E0-6BAA6581A327 (resized).jpeg8B9DFE56-09D2-439B-A1E0-6BAA6581A327 (resized).jpegFA61D8F5-4579-4F47-A0DC-F4E1EDACBEC8 (resized).jpegFA61D8F5-4579-4F47-A0DC-F4E1EDACBEC8 (resized).jpeg
    #100 5 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

let the bidding begin!

Then I am rich! Taking bids on volume! Must have at least 20 boxes and pallets! These all went to the dump

04C4DD71-B647-4C8A-82E8-F3D1DA9B5592 (resized).jpeg04C4DD71-B647-4C8A-82E8-F3D1DA9B5592 (resized).jpeg
    There are 115 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/should-nob-sales-be-required-to-provide-the-box/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.