(Topic ID: 293675)

Should my Dad get a dog?

By RandomGuyOffCL

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    Resized_20150903_180215 (resized).jpeg
    DA484A95-487D-4800-B320-17A9C7F9E20D (resized).jpeg
    77E60D68-579B-4500-9264-F29AFF7F91C6 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0153 (resized).jpg
    AD1B1947-C448-4998-AAF5-BCF18C73B657 (resized).png
    #1 2 years ago

For context, he’s in a 2m home with 100k in furniture

AD1B1947-C448-4998-AAF5-BCF18C73B657 (resized).pngAD1B1947-C448-4998-AAF5-BCF18C73B657 (resized).png
    #2 2 years ago

Yes. A couple of young male Jack Russell terriers and that expensive furniture should go together well.

#3 2 years ago

Yes your Dad should get a dog.

And like children ( you were his ) you will have messes you will have broken stuff.

The love and loyalty they give make it all worthwhile.

You were worthwhile, weren't you ?

LTG : )

#4 2 years ago

Sure, why not?

#5 2 years ago

Yes he should get a dog. Unconditional love and loyalty. Hard to get from a human.

#6 2 years ago

We have had three labs and australian shepard. All chewers. However, we have never had furniture chewed on. The key is have dog toys and bones all around. They have destroyed some kids toys (mostly stuffies) and some shoes, but nothing of real value. Well, my Ausssie did chew my BBH shotgun cable, but that was more of an accident.

Edit: Also, when they are a puppy they are not allowed to roam and shall be kenneled at night or when you can't be around. Don't let them out of your sight. If you get a trainable dog, you will be fine.

#7 2 years ago

Good for your dad , good for the dog!
    Win win for all .
    Plus all the walks would be great exercise for dad

#8 2 years ago

I think that you gave great advise in saying not to worry about the potential damage to the furniture as it isn't necessarily as important to you.

Other great advise - the love of a dog, have toys...

We gave up on dogs for 2 years with hopes of travel. Given the world we live in now I told my wife that it was time to get a dog back in our life. Not the toys in the back ground.

IMG_0153 (resized).jpgIMG_0153 (resized).jpg

#9 2 years ago

Your dad’s happiness and well-being is way more valuable that the furniture. All that can be replaced, but his time on this earth and sense of well-being and comfort is an intangible more valuable than material assets. Trade a sofa for some good training.
    I prefer these little balls of happiness. They are allowed on the furniture

77E60D68-579B-4500-9264-F29AFF7F91C6 (resized).jpeg77E60D68-579B-4500-9264-F29AFF7F91C6 (resized).jpeg
    #10 2 years ago
    Quoted from PinballJeff:

I think that you gave great advise in saying not to worry about the potential damage to the furniture as it isn't necessarily as important to you.
    Other great advise - the love of a dog, have toys...
    We gave up on dogs for 2 years with hopes of travel. Given the world we live in now I told my wife that it was time to get a dog back in our life. Not the toys in the back ground.
    [quoted image]

That looks a bit like our family room with the dog toys (minus the bottle of lotion). Some you really don't want to step on by accident.

Let's be real though. Dogs aren't always happy and sunshine. Today we had a bitch of a time because our lab and aussie were both snipped a week ago. It's been a constant struggle to keep them calm, not licking their junk, running into things with their cone, barking from the kennel (aussie only), etc. Today we had a major poop fest on the 2nd floor carpet (they aren't allow up their BTW) four times. In between that and trying to keep dogs separated outside I forgot to put the invsi fence collar on the lab and he wondered. I finally found him and brought him back. Second time today that happend becuase may wife made the same mistake this morning.

#11 2 years ago

Thinking about the premise of this thread. The answer is why the hell not? Many rich people have dogs, enjoy them, and can pay for proper training if they don't want to put in the effort. There really is no reason unless they travel so much they have to board the dog all the time (shitty life for dog). Plus, if something gets a little chewed, who cares when somone is living in a mansion.

#12 2 years ago

Plus one on the dog. If he is asking he likely thinks it would bring them additional happiness which is all that really matters. Dogs (and some cats...) are amazing. Unconditional love and companion as an assumed empty nester. We had a Shepard, wonderful dogs, loyal, and protective. A reason to get out and walk.

#13 2 years ago
    Quoted from Yelobird:

If he is asking he likely thinks it would bring them additional happiness

I suspect it’s because we recently got a new dog and he sees our home full of life, and then goes home to his very sterile home.

This would be his first dog ever in 75 years

DA484A95-487D-4800-B320-17A9C7F9E20D (resized).jpegDA484A95-487D-4800-B320-17A9C7F9E20D (resized).jpeg
    #14 2 years ago

Not only will a dog ruin your furniture, your car will be destroyed as well.

Nah. Your dad should get a dog.

Resized_20150903_180215 (resized).jpegResized_20150903_180215 (resized).jpeg

#15 2 years ago

Well, I respectfully disagree with almost all of you. Your Dad should NOT get a dog. They are a pain. They limit your ability to travel, impose on your guests, leave hair on your floor/ furniture, and make your house smell bad. Oh yeah, get up early to let the dog pee, stay up late to take him outside to poop. I have more cons, but I'll stop there.

Now all you dog lovers go ahead and flame me.

#16 2 years ago
    Quoted from RTS:

Not only will a dog ruin your furniture, your car will be destroyed as well.

Did you buy this stuff to keep nice for the next owner ? Used stuff loses a lot of value. $100K furntiure would be tough, people with that kind of money want new. You'll be giving it away.

Quoted from Bcrowe:

No. Pet ownership isn't for everybody. Think it out ahead of time.

LTG : )

#17 2 years ago

Probably. Dogs are awesome. They do eat and shit alot.

#18 2 years ago

Cool thing about pets is you regularly get to replace your furniture. Always buy used, from a pet free home, and let my cats have at it! I’m sure dogs will leave their mark too.

#19 2 years ago

A cat would be better. And easier.

#20 2 years ago

No, a dog would change his life too drastically.
    I love my dog, but he’s a lot of work.

#21 2 years ago

If they want a dog suggest a "rescue " dog from the pound. Get one that is no longer a young idiot.
    Young German sheppards destroy anything & everything

#22 2 years ago

Can't imagine my life without the companionship of a dog or cat.
    The value of a pet will over shadow anything else including a house.

#23 2 years ago
    Quoted from Bcrowe:

Well, I respectfully disagree with almost all of you. Your Dad should NOT get a dog. They are a pain. They limit your ability to travel, impose on your guests, leave hair on your floor/ furniture, and make your house smell bad. Oh yeah, get up early to let the dog pee, stay up late to take him outside to poop. I have more cons, but I'll stop there.

Rich people don't have any problem for boarding however long it takes. They also have housekeepers that take care of the hair and smell. My fit, 100 lb lab only peed twice a day. One in the morning and then one in the evening. He did drop a gallon at a time, which the grass didn't like. Rich people have lawn service too.

Did you miss that the OP's dad has a $2 million dollar house?

Edit: spelling

#24 2 years ago
    Quoted from RandomGuyOffCL:

I suspect it’s because we recently got a new dog and he sees our home full of life, and then goes home to his very sterile home.
    This would be his first dog ever in 75 years
    [quoted image]

You bring up a very important comment...sounds like your dad is at least 75 years old? Is your dad able to handle a big dog at his age? Going for a walk, cleaning up the yard? Taking the dog to the vet?

Don't get me wrong, I'm a dog person. Adopted two shelter dogs (both gone now, but lived long great lives)...but a stray cat showed up one day and he became my 'pseudo' dog for now. He's actually pretty cool to play with, but I always miss letting the dog run around the woods with me. But the cat provides us companionship in his own stuck-up way.

If not a cat, maybe a smaller dog might be easier to take care of, given his age?

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#25 2 years ago

Furniture is overrated and a hassle to deal with when you die or downsize.

A pet is a friend and companion that can add a lot to your life.

#27 2 years ago

Sorry if this was covered, but did you grow up with dogs in your family? In my head I was imagining someone younger, not a 75 year old. I could be very wrong, but that's kind of late in life to become a dog person. Maybe if he got a lazy english lab with a bunch of toys and good training from an outside source would be fantastic.

#28 2 years ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

Sorry if this was covered, but did you grow up with dogs in your family? In my head I was imagining someone younger, not a 75 year old. I could be very wrong, but that's kind of late in life to become a dog person. Maybe if he got a lazy english lab with a bunch of toys and good training from an outside source would be fantastic.

Sorry. Just realized I got asked a ?

No, he bailed when I was 3 and me and moms were gutter dirt poor living in a car even for moment. Rich people with houses and dogs was some fantasy shit.

I bought my first dog after I bought my first house.

#29 2 years ago
    Quoted from RandomGuyOffCL:

Sorry. Just realized I got asked a ?
    No, he bailed when I was 3 and me and moms were gutter dirt poor living in a car even for moment. Rich people with houses and dogs was some fantasy shit.
    I bought my first dog after I bought my first house.

That sucks, but sounds like he is back in your life in a good way. Don't want to get too personal, just wasn't expecting your answer.

Edit: Sounds like my dad except back in the life thing.

#30 2 years ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

That sucks, but sounds like he is back in your life in a good way. Don't want to get too personal, just wasn't expecting your answer.
    Edit: Sounds like my dad except back in the life thing.

Naw it’s all good...he’s paid for it in other ways in terms of his legacy. I don’t hold grudges though.

But if anyone here wants to pull a smooth move on your wife, here’s a trick from his playbook.

Split the ownership of your home into 4 shares. 1 for each of your parents, and 1 for you and your wife.

Then divorce your wife of 15 years, then remarry her only to divorce her again right away to avoid alimony because of the new short term marriage and assume 75% of the homes value since you and your parents each hold 25%

Now you’re free to build up a nice net worth without the albatross of a family.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/should-my-dad-get-a-dog and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.