Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by FilthyRich
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_6891 (resized).jpg
    IMG_6890 (resized).jpg
    IMG_6903 (resized).jpg
    IMG_6902 (resized).jpg
    IMG_6901 (resized).jpg
    #1 6 years ago

So I had a fun experience today. Fired up my original (not restored) Spirit and the new Rottendog driver board had a couple traces burn up and this LED caught fire. Game was working fine before. LCD was new from Coin Taker.

What do you think caused this?

#2 6 years ago

Shorted LED? Not drawing enough current to blow a fuse?

#3 6 years ago

IMG_6901 (resized).jpgIMG_6901 (resized).jpg
    IMG_6902 (resized).jpgIMG_6902 (resized).jpg

IMG_6903 (resized).jpgIMG_6903 (resized).jpg

#4 6 years ago

Also, are ALL Rottendog boards garbage?? Out of the 4 i bought, i've had problems with 3 of them.

#5 6 years ago

IMG_6890 (resized).jpgIMG_6890 (resized).jpg

IMG_6891 (resized).jpgIMG_6891 (resized).jpg

#6 6 years ago
    Quoted from PACMAN:

Also, are ALL Rottendog boards garbage?? Out of the 4 i bought, i've had problems with 3 of them.

Their power supplies are just as dodgy. I typically recommend to stay away from their stuff. In this case though, I'm assuming the LED shorted and overloaded the board traces. That being said, I would expect the board to have a fuse or some sort of component based overcurrent protection.

#7 6 years ago

So bad LED?

Quoted from Crash:

Their power supplies are just as dodgy. I typically recommend to stay away from their stuff. In this case though, I'm assuming the LED shorted and overloaded the board traces. That being said, I would expect the board to have a fuse or some sort of component based overcurrent protection.

#8 6 years ago

I would say so, but not sure. I've seen several LEDs break and short the leads internally (cheap construction). It could also be an overvoltage issue, which is more likely to generate the needed heat for one to catch fire.

#9 6 years ago

Where were the LEDs manufactured?

#10 6 years ago
    Quoted from gtxjoe:

Where were the LEDs manufactured?

The People's Republic of China.

#11 6 years ago
    Quoted from PACMAN:

So I had a fun experience today. Fired up my original (not restored) Spirit and the new Rottendog driver board had a couple traces burn up and this LED caught fire. Game was working fine before. LCD was new from Coin Taker.
    What do you think caused this?

Have you verified that all fuses in the machine are of the proper value? That looks like an overfused circuit. Or, the board is poorly designed for the machine or it is not supposed to be used with LED's.

#12 6 years ago

Made in China equals "good luck". Cheap prices but also the fun of some "junk" products. At least it wasn't a Hoverboard that burnt your house down like has happened to a good many people.

#13 6 years ago

I'm wondering if leds are used if the fuse values protecting their circuit should be lowered. An example would be a 5 amp gi circuit. If an led faults it will take alot of time for the fuse to blow as the circuit uses less current than 5a . ?

#14 6 years ago
    Quoted from pinballplusMN:

I'm wondering if leds are used if the fuse values protecting their circuit should be lowered. An example would be a 5 amp gi circuit. If an led faults it will take alot of time for the fuse to blow as the circuit uses less current than 5a . ?

A very good point. Time for reengineering. A fee may be charged.....

#15 6 years ago

If an led faults it will take alot of time for the fuse to blow as the circuit uses less current than 5a . ?

Not when there's enough current that it's burning the mask of traces as wide as those. If that were fused with any fuse that's used in pinball machines, it would have blown.

#16 6 years ago

Where are the fuses in that game?

#17 6 years ago

I replaced all four of the 5 amp slo-blo fuses with 1 amp slo-blo in the Gi circuits running LEDS without any problems.

#18 6 years ago

Possibly a combination of many things. Is there any chance that light socket came in contact with say, coil voltage? Check the fuse that handles the GI voltage for that globe. Did it blow? Is it the correct rating? Either way, I'd be checking both those transistors that have the fried traces running to them to see how they handled the mishap.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/should-leds-catch-fire and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.