Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 123 posts
  • 76 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Pimp77
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Pred_Jung_02.gif
    alien_57.gif
    There are 123 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 11 years ago

I have been thinking about this for a while now. In the late 90's B/W produces arguably some of the best pinball machines ever made. But, due to decreasing demand, they did not produce a lot of them.

My thoughts are: JJP could produce say 1000 each "Tribute" or "Chrome" Editions of MM, AFM, SS, TOTAN, & others, And by doing so make more money than if they produced a game from scratch. The advantage of redoing a past game is there would be no R&D required. Game code, playfield layout, artwork, etc. it is already done. I think it would work well for a game production schedule too. 1 new game, 1 reproduction, & repeat. This would allow the new games the proper amount of time to be developed and nothing would need to be rushed into production. I think most of the special editions would be presold as well. Every JJP game could be a hit, with no duds (from a cost standpoint).

The kicker is they could probably charge the same or more for limited edition remakes.

What do you guys think? Am I just dreaming or is this a good opportunity?

#2 11 years ago

No, they should make new cool stuff IMO.

#3 11 years ago

Out with the old, in with the new.

#4 11 years ago

No.

Why go backwards 15 years when you are going forwards.

And you get back to square one. How many would you actually sell ? Sure A titles have gone up. But that doesn't mean you'd sell enough repros to cover production costs.

If you could sell 1,000 of each, somebody would have already done it. 100 of each would be a reach.

Look when the new Stern pin comes out, how many recent previous models come up for sale so guys can keep up.

The market can only absorb so much.

LTG

#5 11 years ago

I think that it would be a cool idea if used sparingly. (while still concentrating on both new licensed & unlicensed pins) However, I'm thinking that it would be cost prohibitive, if not improbable, to secure the complete licenses to older B/W properties, especially seeing that new parts manufacturer's currently hold many, if not all, of the licenses. (Planetary Pinball, etc.)

#6 11 years ago

No, that seems kind of silly to me. JJP is trying to make the design and build the best pinball machines ever with new technology. I would much rather see them spend 100% of their time creating new great things instead of going back and reproducing classic games.

However, it would be cool to see a company that isn't making brand new games to go back and reproduce some of the older titles.

#7 11 years ago

Remember you can't just xerox a pinball machine. The original molds and stencils for parts and art might not exist anymore, in which case they would have to be recreated. Also, there are different people/companies holding licenses to various williams IP.
    I think it would be easier for JJP to simply create a game from scratch...

#8 11 years ago

Move forward with JJP. They will be making new pins that will make you forget all about the WMS classics.

#10 11 years ago

JJP should totally go for it. Also, Chevy should start building Shelby Cobras and Ford should build 1960s Corvettes. Both are really valuable, hard to find, and have nothing to do with their respective companies.

#11 11 years ago

No. Pinball needs to move forward not back.

#12 11 years ago

no..
    and they could start making some originals. i am fed up of movie tittles :s

#13 11 years ago

They should take inspiration from some of the older machines and realise that licensing is lazy.

#14 11 years ago
    Quoted from hassanchop:

no..
    and they could start making some originals. i

Well said

#15 11 years ago
    Quoted from hassanchop:

no..
    and they could start making some originals. i am fed up of movie tittles :s

aka Jpop's BHZA...

#16 11 years ago

Why rehash old titles? New themes with new technology for new pins.

#17 11 years ago

JJP has not produced any pinball games at all so far, so it might be premature to start filling their plate with yet more for them to do.

There are plenty of new games even BETTER than the old ones (TRON, Spiderman, AC/DC...), so I'd rather see NEW games that I have not played to death.

#18 11 years ago

I agree no need to go backwards. However, if they were to make a sequal to old themes I wouldn't mind so much.

#19 11 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

No.
    Why go backwards 15 years when you are going forwards.
    And you get back to square one. How many would you actually sell ? Sure A titles have gone up. But that doesn't mean you'd sell enough repros to cover production costs.
    If you could sell 1,000 of each, somebody would have already done it. 100 of each would be a reach.
    Look when the new Stern pin comes out, how many recent previous models come up for sale so guys can keep up.
    The market can only absorb so much.
    LTG

Exactly.

Let's go forward, not back again.

#20 11 years ago

Big NOOOOO!!!!!

#21 11 years ago

Nope. Forward progress only.

#22 11 years ago

No thanks... Oh, and 9 times out of 10 I'll take a licensed title over an original theme. Licensed titles are just fine by me.

#24 11 years ago

Maybe Ford should reproduce old Deloreans. If all musicians just copied the Beatles we would not have gotten Led Zeppelin, Nirvana, AC/DC, etc..

Leave the past in the past- Innovate, make your own classics. Even though WOZ is not the theme I was hoping for, the quality and thought going into it gets me excited.

Stern with Tron LE and AC/DC LE/Premium has stepped up their game also. This decade will rival and surpass the 90's in terms of great pins. I would venture to say that in 20 years there will be a thread about making reproductions of what we have now

#25 11 years ago

Shocked by this thread !!!

#26 11 years ago
    Quoted from jimjim66:

his decade will rival and surpass the 90's in terms of great pins. I

Already got a good start on it

#27 11 years ago

I think they need to see how woz sells before moving forward. What's the true le oz stats? 1000 sold? Where are these people? I would think a large percentage of sales would be from here. I think pinside represents a decent number of pin collectors. Why is the woz owner list so small? Less than 100 counted from pinside members? That opened my eyes. Where's the other 900 going to? woz fans? rgp members? distributors? Really? 900.

With all due respect to JJP. Are they making any profit from the first game? Are there enough funds for a 2nd, 3rd game? I hope so, but it seems like it's been more loss, than profit. I think about the list of expenses, and it makes me wonder. I purchased 4 nib sterns, since they been making woz. Feels like dog years. My pin money keeps going to Stern. I've been waiting for the updates like everyone else. Hoping to play it, it before I buy in.

I hear about what's next for JJP, and all I can think is, let's finish up woz guys. This has been going on for a long time. I'm sure some things are beyond their control, and you have to go through the right channels. There's been some hang ups. I get it. But as a consumer, I wonder if title #2 and #3 is going to happen. Hope I'm wrong. I'd like to see something after woz.

#28 11 years ago

No I prefer to have new tables rather than pins that I have played already for days on in. Bring on the new remember and still enjoy the old but look forward to the new.

#29 11 years ago

I say IF, only IF they are already rock'n and rolling with new machines, if the market demands and IF it doesn't interfere with JJP original production.

#30 11 years ago

Im going to go against the grain and say Yes they should reproduce older games. I think a lot of people that have the older games dont want to value of them to drop due to new ones being made.

#31 11 years ago

No way. New innovations and ideas are needed.

#32 11 years ago

For clarity, I mean for my posts to be friendly and helpful, and not anything else.

Looks like I am in the minority on this one. While I fully agree with the group that JJP should focus on new games. JJP IMHO also needs to focus on making money, that way they will be around 20 years from now. I believe that I read somewhere that JJP plans to only put out 1 or 2 new games a year (in the beginning?). Maybe I have that wrong. There have been talks about the next game, although I don't think anybody really knows what the next game will be or more importantly when. The point I was trying to make is that JJP (if they wanted to) could take a pretty substantial short cut to bring more games to the market quickly, while still getting there price. I agree the market can only absorb so much. But, I feel the market could still absorb more A-List B/W games, as some of these games are still good earners. I don't think the games would need to 100 percent exact copies either.

If JJP reproduced a few older titles, then I would buy. Would you?

#33 11 years ago
    Quoted from Tom_in_NoVA:

If JJP reproduced a few older titles, then I would buy. Would you?

I would rather have newer designs and tech...Although If it could be arranged would love to see a Wizard Blocks with Pat and crew working for JJP.

#34 11 years ago

the only way i could see something like this being even remotely viable is if someone set up 'Kit plane" type of business.

Sell plans to make cabinets, create a board set that could play the roms of popular games. then sell things like boardsets, wiring harness kits, and playfield/artwork packages so people could make their own.

I don't think any of this will ever happen, Just save up and buy an original for restoration!

#35 11 years ago
    Quoted from jayhawkai:

JJP should totally go for it. Also, Chevy should start building Shelby Cobras and Ford should build 1960s Corvettes. Both are really valuable, hard to find, and have nothing to do with their respective companies.

Other than it being a bad idea....THIS is the main issue.

JJP doesn't even have the rights.

#36 11 years ago
    Quoted from Anim8ormatt:

Just save up and buy an original for restoration!

The problem with this is that beat games like AFM and MB are going for what NIB Stern/JJP games go for. It would be one thing if you could find a beat one of these for $2-3K and then send it off for restoration. As it is, it just doesn't make sense to do this anymore unless you've got a lot of loose change.

That's just the reality of the situation and a big part of the reason why a lot of people (myself included) aren't even bothering with the "classics" anymore and prefer to go with NIB Stern/JJP games instead.

#37 11 years ago

Exactly why I'm choosing to buy only new titles from this point on. Competition has them both making better pins. I personally think the new pins are getting better than the older pins finally. Not all of them but, they are getting much better.

#38 11 years ago
    Quoted from coasterguy:

Exactly why I'm choosing to buy only new titles from this point on. Competition has them both making better pins. I personally think the new pins are getting better than the older pins finally. Not all of them but, they are getting much better.

Coasterguy, I agree completely. I'm 60 years old but am constantly amazed at how much some people in this hobby resist change. Bring on the new machines!

#39 11 years ago

I really want to see what the new pins by JJP are going to be like. I wouldn't be excited if they just did a rehash of the past. I want to look forward to what is next. I want to be amazed. Look at how many people post on what feature JJP is adding to WOZ. How many posts on what is next at Stern.

Yes, William/Bally had awesome pins in the 90's. Yes, they are classic. Yes, they are arguably better than the Stern's in the 2000-2009 era.

Pause, and ask -If the William/Bally model was so successful, why did they stop?

They could make a lot more money making slots so they abandoned the market. If making those pins weren't good enough to keep Williams making pins, how would they keep JJP in business?

Again, I'm just happy Stern is stepping up their game. Think about it- Compare AD/DC Premium, Tron LE, TFLE to Austin Powers, South Park and Roller Coaster Tycoon. Not the same pins.

I can even go on about the boutique pins by JPOP and the new Predator.

Happy times ahead.

#41 11 years ago

It works for Borg, why not...

#42 11 years ago
    Quoted from coasterguy:

Agreed.

#43 11 years ago

I used to like this idea but have changed my tune recently as there are some pretty exciting new games coming out now. I would rather see new stuff, that's what keeps this hobby interesting.

#44 11 years ago

See above comments. Absolutely not.

#45 11 years ago

NO!!!!look to the future and even cooler pins.if you think about it there are technically 5 companies making pinball machines now.stern,jjp,the predator guys,jpop and ben heck,and the guys making capt nemo.it is the best pinball has been since the early 90's. its a very exciting time indeed.

#47 11 years ago

Definitely not!!! Leave the past in the past... I'd love to see them revisit an old theme (Elvira), but with a modern spin. Otherwise bring on the new ideas. I have no preference, I like licensed and unlicensed themes.

#48 11 years ago

I know everyone is looking for new and innovative stuff but don't you think there would be a market for a select number of old titles? If they redid MM and sold it for $7-8k I have a hard time believing they couldn't sell 1-1.5k machines.

#49 11 years ago

There may have been a market for that 5 years ago, but not now. People that can afford $7-8k for a pin and "want" an older title will buy the original. Most NIB buyers today want new titles with newer technology if they are going to cough up $7-8k for a pin.

#50 11 years ago

Maybe not JJP, but Planetary Pinball should be. I don't want to sound like a broken record on this, but remaking 100 or 200 Attack From Mars machines wouldn't cost any more per unit than a new Stern, much less WOz.

I'm also not exactly sure what this new innovation you're all expecting is going to be. LCDs in the backbox? There's hardly any wiggle room for major changes before the "that's not real pinball" crowd kicks in. I guess they can continue to make deeper rulesets, but you could be doing that yourself today with a P-ROC and some clever ideas.

There are 123 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/should-jjp-reproduce-a-list-bw-titles and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.