(Topic ID: 293438)

Should I worry about this bridge rectifier?

By Tomass

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 25 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by xsvtoys
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Alfred (resized).png
20210514_183736 (resized).jpg
20210514_183725 (resized).jpg
20210514_183715 (resized).jpg
#1 2 years ago

This rectifier is mounted flush with the board. Should I worry about getting it off the board? I am not sure how long this game played like this. It was a project that I am finishing up. Thanks for any help.

20210514_183715 (resized).jpg20210514_183715 (resized).jpg20210514_183725 (resized).jpg20210514_183725 (resized).jpg20210514_183736 (resized).jpg20210514_183736 (resized).jpg
#2 2 years ago

My gut feeling is get it up off the board.

I think I'd be more worried about the bridge rectifier cooking the board than the bridge rectifier itself.

LTG : )

#3 2 years ago

I would lift it up real quick fo sho

#4 2 years ago

That looks like it is going to be a tough one. No room to even apply pressure.

#5 2 years ago

Any suggestions on the best way. I have a good iron and a little pencil iron. I could probably put a regular tip in the desoldering tool and have 3 heat sources. Or I am missing another way?

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from Tomass:

Any suggestions

Solder sucker and soldering iron.

#7 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Solder sucker and soldering iron.

Ok. Wasn't sure if I could get it all. Thanks, I will do that.

#9 2 years ago

I have one but that might be better. I have a real nice pace desoldering tool, but the piston on the vac pump broke and I haven't found one yet.

#10 2 years ago

Thanks! Got it up off there. Thought it was going to be a major deal, but not bad at all.

#11 2 years ago

I would have left it well enough alone - that's just me though.

"If it a'int broke - don't fix it!"

"What me worry?"

Alfred (resized).pngAlfred (resized).png
#12 2 years ago

Yes ^^ -- the solder looks to be original (there is no flaking of the solder mask near terminals). Is it causing problems? If not, why replace it? If worried about the heat, you can add a heat sink to the bridge rectifier without pulling him off the board.

I'd be more worried about those radial caps getting old and leaking corrosive guts on the board than that bridge.

#13 2 years ago

I wasn't sure if it was original or replaced. It wasn't working when I got it. The machine that is.

#14 2 years ago

I’d be more worried about the other two bridges that weren’t fused at the factory. The ones that mount off board.

#15 2 years ago

OK -- do you have +12V and -12V coming out of the bridge?
You didn't state which game so I am assuming a System 7. +12V can be found at test point 3 and -12V can be found at test point 4 (meter ground at test point 2).
If original caps, I would examine caps at C7 and C8 for leakage. Either of those two going bad can kill power the the 5V regulator circuit. See if you can measure a doubled voltage at the cathode (banded end) of diode D1. D1 is above the relay. If not doubled, replace C7 and C8.

While you're there, take a look at C12 and make sure he isn't leaking.

#16 2 years ago

Umm. Don’t Timmy up your board. Bridges are hard. Don’t ask me how I know.

#17 2 years ago

No, it’ll void your warranty. It says so right there.

#18 2 years ago
Quoted from G-P-E:

OK -- do you have +12V and -12V coming out of the bridge?
You didn't state which game so I am assuming a System 7. +12V can be found at test point 3 and -12V can be found at test point 4 (meter ground at test point 2).
If original caps, I would examine caps at C7 and C8 for leakage. Either of those two going bad can kill power the the 5V regulator circuit. See if you can measure a doubled voltage at the cathode (banded end) of diode D1. D1 is above the relay. If not doubled, replace C7 and C8.
While you're there, take a look at C12 and make sure he isn't leaking.

Sorry, I should have been more clear. Game wasn't working when I got it but it is fully working now. I am redoing the headers for preventative measures but was concerned when I saw that rectifier. I got it up off the board now. I will swap out those caps as well. Thanks for taking the time to reply. I appreciate the help.

#19 2 years ago
Quoted from EJS:

I’d be more worried about the other two bridges that weren’t fused at the factory. The ones that mount off board.

Yep, I fix that before I turn on a sys 3-11 when I get them. 3-7, I swap out sockets and headers as well.

#20 2 years ago

That is a 35 amp rectifier handling only 7 amps. I doubt it even gets warm.

#21 2 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

No clue. Sorry

#22 2 years ago
Quoted from Tomass:

No clue. Sorry

Don't be sorry for not knowing, that is was why you were asking if you should move it off the board!

I was just offering up some additional information as to why or why not move it off the board.

#23 2 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

OK - curiosity got me.

KBPC35 series = 1.1V forward voltage drop per diode.
Two diodes always operating simultaneously.
Power = (2)(1.1V)(7A) = 15.4W
Defined thermal resistance = 1.4C/W
Temperature rise = (15.4W)(1.4C/W) = 21.56C temp rise. (rounded to 21.6)
Ambient = 25C typical so operating temp will be about (25 + 21.6) = 46.6C or 115F. Yeah, it will see a temperature rise but far from being too hot.

#24 2 years ago
Quoted from G-P-E:

OK - curiosity got me.
KBPC35 series = 1.1V forward voltage drop per diode.
Two diodes always operating simultaneously.
Power = (2)(1.1V)(7A) = 15.4W
Defined thermal resistance = 1.4C/W
Temperature rise = (15.4W)(1.4C/W) = 21.56C temp rise. (rounded to 21.6)
Ambient = 25C typical so operating temp will be about (25 + 21.6) = 46.6C or 115F. Yeah, it will see a temperature rise but far from being too hot.

Thanks Ed! Know we REALLY know!

#25 2 years ago

I don't have much to add, I just came here to learn some new stuff about rectifiers.

However, I would like to commend you on the photos in the original post. Its always nice to see clear, up-close, well-lit, and focused pics when someone is asking for help/advice, it makes it that much easier to see what is going on. And these photos represent that at the top level.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 53.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Vista, CA
$ 959.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 1,059.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westjordan, UT
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/should-i-worry-about-this-bridge-rectifier and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.