(Topic ID: 301867)

Should I wax? Lube parts? Replace rubber rings?

By idiopathy

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by idiopathy
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 2 years ago

Hi All,

I'm on my first pin: Stern's Stranger Things (premium). I love it, and I've played the heck out of it. There's over 10,000 games on it after 10 months. Maybe I have a problem? Ha!

I've cleaned the playfield and ramps etc. frequently. I've made some adjustments to improve gameplay, thanks to Pinside. I'll keep this post to three questions.

Wax: I decided to wax the playfield recently, and I've found that the game gets dirtier faster (black lines appear more quickly now). I gave it ample time to cure before wiping it off. I used Game Room Guys Pinball Wax. Is waxing really necessary/beneficial? Which brings me to number 2.

Rubber rings: Is one of the reasons to replace the rubber rings that the game is cleaner? Perhaps those black lines are because the rubbers are wearing down and depositing their bits on the balls?

Lubrication: Is it okay to lubricate? I'm mostly thinking about the flipper linkages and the dropdowns. Under the playfield. These places have plastic parts against metal parts, which perhaps means the machine is designed to not be lubed. I thought about putting some silicone lube on some things.. or lithium grease. I've had some minor stickiness in the flipper action and the dropdowns.

Thanks!

#2 2 years ago

After 10k plays, I'd be rebuilding my flipper mechs. Usually they're pretty hammered by thay point. Don't lubricate, they're designed to run "dry"

Would recommend looking into some different rubbers too. I bet transparent ones from titan pinball look great on that game. Or maybe some glow in the dark if you have the uv kit.

#3 2 years ago
    Quoted from idiopathy:

I used Game Room Guys Pinball Wax.

I don't know exactly what that actually is off-hand, but no, cleaner waxes should not be used at all. Those aren't really a good product for waxing.

Carnauba wax paste wax is better. Blitz is usually recommended the most, followed by p21s. Both generally last a good while without needing to be re-applied.

Quoted from idiopathy:

I've found that the game gets dirtier faster (black lines appear more quickly now)

Do you replace the balls? They get scratched and dinged up over time.

Are the VUKs and ball trough clean? grime sometimes accumulates in mechs like those, and then can get spread around by the ball.

Quoted from idiopathy:

Is one of the reasons to replace the rubber rings that the game is cleaner?

No, rings only need to be replaced if they start cracking/splitting, get damaged, show wear in the rubber, or start drying out.

Quoted from idiopathy:

Perhaps those black lines are because the rubbers are wearing down and depositing their bits on the balls?

If you are using old black rubbers that are disintegrating, then maybe. But if the rubbers are in good condition, probably not. If they are dirty, just wipe them off with novus 1 or isopropyl alcohol.

Quoted from idiopathy:

Lubrication: Is it okay to lubricate?

No, never. It just causes problems later and gums things up.

Pins do not need any lubrication--they designed to operate dry. The only exception is sealed gearboxes, but it will be many years before those might need attention on a modern game.

[edit]: After 10k plays, I would imagine the balls are past due for replacement, the flipper mechs need to be rebuilt, the coils sleeve may need to be replaced, the mechs may need to be cleaned, and yes, the rubbers are probably showing wear & tear and may need to be replaced.

#4 2 years ago

Wax, lube, rubber? Sounds like a fun night in with the wife.

#5 2 years ago
    Quoted from SLAMT1LT:

Beat me by minutes ...
    Lol

#6 2 years ago
    Quoted from SLAMT1LT:

I suppose the title of my post was ripe for jokes (but that's how you get replies, eh?) Haha!

Quoted from zacaj:

After 10k plays, I'd be rebuilding my flipper mechs. Usually they're pretty hammered by thay point.

I think you're right. I feel like I'm just worse at the game than I used to be, and it makes sense that extra play in the flippers is the reason. Can't make the shots like before! I just need to find the parts, and it looks like they're out there. I watched an excellent video from a guy at Jersey Jacks about rebuilding flippers.. It seems like they are cool with a customer working on their own machine, and it has me wondering if Stern is kind of resistant to letting people work on their own pin. Like they referred me to my local distributor when I just wanted to order new decals that were coming off my stand-ups. Is this true that they take a dim view of DIY maintenance?

Quoted from ForceFlow:

I don't know exactly what that actually is off-hand, but no, cleaner waxes should not be used at all. Those aren't really a good product for waxing.

Thanks for this! I have waxes in my shop that I think are much harder with less residue. Perhaps I'll try one of them. Also, I did replace the balls. And thanks for the advice on lubrication. It confirms what I was thinking, even though it's very tempting for any tinkerer to put "a drop of oil" on just about any moving part haha!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/should-i-wax-lube-parts-replace-rubber-rings?hl=sawbill and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.