(Topic ID: 57432)

Should I unplug games during thunder storms?

By The_Director

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 64 posts
  • 41 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by mbwalker
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Capture (resized).PNG
    IMG_2578 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2577 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider robertmee.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#19 10 years ago
    Quoted from fiberdude120:

My electric supplier is NYSEG and for 350.00 they sell you a surge protected power meter. If you lose anything from spikes or surges it is covered by them.

Read the fine print....What happens when that lightning strike enters via the TV or Phone cable company media (unless you are all fiber), goes into a cable box, and then out the electrical connection seeking ground and subsequently frying everything along the way?

Not saying you aren't covered, but I'd be very surprised if there isn't a clause concerning you proving it was via the electrical service and not some other point of entry.

In the end, the ONLY safe deterrent to lightning strike is unplugging the appliance.

#23 10 years ago
    Quoted from RTR:

Probably a dumb question, but is keeping the breaker off as good as unplugging the machines?

No....Lightning can easily jump the gap between the open contacts of a breaker.

#47 10 years ago
    Quoted from hank527:

What about a cheap surge protector on the wall and then going into a higher end one?
    The thought would be that the first surge would blow and if it made it through that the second layer would stop whatever was left?
    I'm in this boat as well but unplugging 30 machines is a pain in the ass. So I did wall mounted surge protectors going into a higher end cyberlink protector. Any thoughts on this?

Unfortunately, cheap protectors use MOV's for so called 'surge' protection. And 'surge' is such a misnomer. An MOV shunts high peaks in voltage somewhere, and it only does it once. Once it is hit, it no longer works, but you or your surge protector won't know that. They're really built for taking a spike out of minimal voltage like a dryer motor kicking on. Not 10,000 volts from a lightning strike. And guess where that MOV shunts the spike. To ground. Now, you're outlet is not directly connected to earth ground, but to ground via a bunch of romex cables in the walls with ground splices everywhere. So that MOV just sent the high voltage spike through all those grounds connected to all sorts of equipment before it finally reaches earth ground back at your distribution panel. You're almost better off, NOT having a cheap surge protector in use for lightning.

The best you can do is unplug them. The next best is to install a whole house protector at your panel box with a short direct connection to earth ground. The worst is to use surge protector strips.

5 years later
    #60 5 years ago
    Quoted from heme:

I just check the varistor once every so often, or add another in parallel.
    bought a pinbot from a guy and that thing was fried.
    I have all my games on surge protecting outlets as well.
    amazon.com link »
    Even if you have a game on a surge protector it doesn't make a difference if the varistor is fried.
    Usually they have little LED's in them let you know if the device is still working.

Point of use surge protectors are useless and false security for lightning strikes. Might keep your washing machine from damaging your pin but that's about it. You need a short direct bond to earth ground for any lightning arrester device to have a chance.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider robertmee.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/should-i-unplug-games-during-thunder-storms?tu=robertmee and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.