(Topic ID: 57432)

Should I unplug games during thunder storms?

By The_Director

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 64 posts
  • 41 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by mbwalker
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Capture (resized).PNG
    IMG_2578 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2577 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mattelder.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4 10 years ago

Here's a link to a chat we just had a little while back about this....

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/surge-protectors

#24 10 years ago
    Quoted from Monster_Bash:

Always turned off at the breaker...take less than 5 seconds to flip them all on

Quoted from RTR:

Probably a dumb question, but is keeping the breaker off as good as unplugging the machines?

Turning the breaker off isn't going to help. It only takes like 10,000 volts to jump a one inch air gap. Lightning is a hell of a lot more than that, and the small gap in the breaker contacts is going to do nothing to stop a hit.

#25 10 years ago
    Quoted from robertmee:

No....Lightning can easily jump the gap between the open contacts of a breaker.

You beat me to it, Robert. I left to answer the phone before I finished typing.

#30 10 years ago
    Quoted from Monster_Bash:

Interesting...
    15 years of collecting and 2 lightning hits..one of which took out darn near everything plugged into a wall. All the pins and vids survived shut off at the breaker...along with the neon signs...stereo..and TV.

Ironically the TV and the stereo system up stairs...that was plugged into a $50+ surge strip didn't make it...neither did the strip

Guess I've been getting lucky

Yeah, sometimes there's no rhyme nor reason to what it takes out.

One thing worth noting....not all strikes are direct hits, so you might pick up some stray voltage from a nearby hit, and not see the full effect. Something small like that *might possibly* be stopped by a breaker being turned off, but don't ever count on it. Being an electrician I've seen A LOT of lightning damage, and bottom line, if you want to be sure stuff is safe, unplug it. A direct hit has the potential to fry anything unless it's unplugged. You take away the path to your precious things and you know they're safe....unless your house burns down from the lightning.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mattelder.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/should-i-unplug-games-during-thunder-storms?tu=mattelder and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.