Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20200416_201712406_HDR (resized).jpg
IMG_20200413_122653942 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20200321-084544_Gallery (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mopar.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5 6 years ago

I only triple thick (well actually Rustoleum Clear)
when absolutely necessary, and after lessons learned,
I only keep a sealed glass in a pretty much climate
controlled area. I have never lost a glass in cold/warm
storage that hadn't been sealed..

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

But I'd rather have it bare than a hazy textured surface.

Yeah, when I have sealed, it's pretty much a must to cover the windows and any other
animated areas. I got good at it, but never was able to leave a picture perfect clearness
in the windows..
In my younger days, I was thinking the same way to preserve a mint glass by sealing
and then had in storage here in N.Y., and dammit, what a mistake..
I highly suggest not to seal a mint glass.
I just read the upper post. Yes, on a flaky glass, masking is a no for me. I covere the
windows with a slightly oversize piece of lath (or whatever) over each window, and weight
it down with something like a lug nut on each. When spraying, sprayed directly above (on top) of
the windows to take away chances of the spray sneaking under the lath. Then within
a half hour or so (while still tacky but not runny), I removed the lath..

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

decided blue tape cut to fit the waves was the only way I'd be happy before doing the spray.

Just to note: I wrote the previous post before reading this one..
I use to use tape, but you need to be dead on and still found once the
spray dried, it still could cling to the paint and the tape, so that's
when I went with the lath and always made sure that I removed
the pieces well before the clear had dried..

2 weeks later
#22 6 years ago
Quoted from mark532011:

I think I will leave it

I say very wise move. Why tamper with something that's
been mint for 40 or 50 years..

2 years later
#25 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinaddict91:

Wondering if i keep dehumidifer running 24/7 365 next to the pins as well as a heater during the cold months will the pins stay ok?.

I can speak for myself that for many years I've had/have many EM pins stored in a barn with no climate
control, and as long as they haven't been sealed (with a spray), I've had no issues. I'm in Upstate N.Y.
I will add that a dehumidifier would be a huge plus and absolutely suggested. It's always nice to have
machines in an at least somewhat controlled climate, but I myself haven't had any issues. With sealed
sprayed glasses, that can be a different story. I'll never spray again. I clear vinyl them when needed..
btw: what titles do you have?

#28 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinaddict91:

Or should i at least bring the backglass in?

If you're not going to have them set up to play (or at least in the Winter), it surely wouldn't
hurt to bring the backglasses inside in a safe spot..
My storage barn is fine, but in the basement before I added a dehumidifier, at times I
would notice a white powder like substance on the playfield. It was because of the humidity.
I think your garage would be okay, but putting in a dehumidifier would be a plus and then
be able to see how much water it does collect.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mopar.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/should-i-triple-thick-the-backglass?tu=mopar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.