Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20200416_201712406_HDR (resized).jpg
IMG_20200413_122653942 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20200321-084544_Gallery (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Taxman.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 6 years ago
Quoted from mark532011:

Got my first EM a little while ago. The backglass looks like mint, I am amazed by it. My question - should I spray triple-thick on it just to preserve it or is that only needed sometimes amd I am just asking for trouble?

Depends. Is this "Krylon" Thriple Thick? Recently we had a post about a bad experience from someone using what he said was Rustolium Thriple Thick. And none of us knew that it existed.

I still have a few cans or the original Krylon from a case I bought 15 years ago. You never know when they will change the recipe.

To the original question, I would say yes. Unless you have this pin in a nice climate controlled area the will never experience temperature or humidity change.

Read up on putting a few business cards on the score window and shooting a few thin coats on the back.

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

once you get good at the rattle spray you can do the triple thick nearly glass clear and not mask the score windows. =D

But since he is asking I doubt he's going to be that good. I've done it for decades and can still get a haze. I don't know if it is my spraying, climate, something one the glass because you don't "clean" the back before spraying (unless you have a good method for that I don't know, some times the bubble or lift has begun and you're not going to get harsh) . . .

But I'd rather have it bare than a hazy textured surface. Then you get pissed and pull out the razor blade to scrape the window clean. Then you get real careful to get as close as you can keeping a straight line without nicking any paint . . . .

#8 6 years ago

But you might buy a brand-new CPR glass because yours got smashed. But the game in a garage or damp basement.

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

Gets hazy and dusty when the spray too far back. Seems excessive but i get the best results with wet coats.
I screwed up more times trying to mask and not getting it perfect... overspray, masking issues lifting paint etc. Everyone has what works for them!

Agreed, different people and techniques. One time I was doing an Haunted House EM Gun Game backglass and decided blue tape cut to fit the waves was the only way I'd be happy before doing the spray.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Taxman.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/should-i-triple-thick-the-backglass?tu=Taxman and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.