Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

sm_vs_as.png
IMG_3003 (resized).PNG
IMG_3002 (resized).PNG
IMG_3001 (resized).PNG
image (resized).jpg
#1 7 years ago

I have a minty red SM which I like, I've been playing it a lot. But it's my second time for SM first one had 15 months this one 2-3 months. Was not really looking to trade but at the time I bought it, AS was just coming out and there was not much known about it so I decided to buy the SM since it was very nice condition and SM is a known pinball easy to sell down the road.

Now a new used AS pro is in my area and I could maybe trade SM for that.

I have not played AS at all, not a minute. But if it's well liked, that doesn't bother me, I never played Tron one second before I got it, and I only played 5-10 games of Met or TWD or ACDC before I bought and those are three of my favorite pins.

Plus losing SM, I still have STLE and ACDC which flows a good bit, and as I said have owned SM for a while.

I wanted to solicit advise, also I have not read anything about AS or watched the videos, is there a good tutorial and or better yet can someone point me to the rule sheet? Or just spell out the rules like you need to collect this and shuch to get to the MB or the Wizard modes.

Thanks

#2 7 years ago

I wouldn't.... Aerosmith isn't a bad game, but code is not up to snuff yet, IMO. The Pro does feel pretty packed, I'll give it that, but there are some annoying things that aren't fixable with code too. The lowest arrow shots to light the shot multipliers are REALLY difficult to hit directly, IMO, and that leads to a lot of useless hits to all the other ones, so frequently you're waiting for the ball to bounce off the top of a sling backwards into the target (and hope it doesn't go out the outlane, heh) or something like that to light a multiplier and reset all the targets. Game reminds me of old Data East stuff like Last Action Hero and Jurassic Park, and in one way, Mustang.....it's a ton of modes that you want to survive to get to the mini-wizard, which is difficult to do if you're actually trying to make shots and build the value for the super modes.

The game is fun, but it's no Spider-Man..

Toy Chest Multiball - Shoot Jacky, shoot a lock. Rinse and repeat up to 6 times. You can abort out to go for more balls with the 3rd and subsequent locks.
Elevator - Shoot right and left orbits, shoot elevator to lock a ball. On factory settings, acquired locks do not reset but if you shoot one orbit and then drain without getting the other, the one you shot will reset and you still have to get both.

#4 7 years ago

I couldn't do that SM is my most played Stern I love it.

I did play AS and liked it. I would just add AS and then see what stays or goes.

I moved a pin from basement to dinning room for future room( DI or Afm r etc). My wife isn't wild about it but the room doesn't get used until Thanksgiving and that's 7 months from now. Side note my grandson played the pin on Easter in dinning room. Awesome.

#5 7 years ago

Maybe leaning to keep SM.

AS is new and nice looking but not sure I can get into it. Need to watch some gameplay.

#6 7 years ago

I tried to get into sm with the vault edition but it just never grew on me, and I love fast flowing games. AS is on its way hopefully this week!

#7 7 years ago

I wouldn't make the trade. Having played a good fair bit of AS (both pro and premium), it's not a bad game at all. It, however, doesn't really bring anything new to the table, and I would hold out to make a trade on something a bit more exciting. Over time, SM will prove to be the better game, especially since you have an original.

AS will probably cost less than a SM down the road as well. There's more value in SM long term.

#8 7 years ago

No, SM has way better shots and layout than AS does. AS is prettier, but SM is a much better pin.

#9 7 years ago

I C

Also AS as a band is meh to me, I mean I like them but not in my top.

I believe better to keep SM since I'm getting close to BR a lot, not too often but I'd like to take the next step. I mean I get to BR like 1-2 times but I get very close a lot of times. That's a nice balance of hard/easy to me.

#10 7 years ago

I vote AS > SM IMO. AS value may very well stay higher than SM.

I can't see the argument that AS doesn't have "anything new"...
- The large color LCD screen is the biggest new development Stern has put out in the last 10 years!
- Upgraded Stereo Sound

This type of "nothing new" statement could be made of ANY Stern game in the last 10 years really. The "new" stuff usually isn't what makes a game anyway. What was new on Metallica, or STLE, or TWD - nothing really -> just creative re-use of things that have been done before (excluding new software ideas).

#11 7 years ago

Nope my SM is not leaving I would do both!! ...and I would get an AS premium as opposed to the pro...Oh wait I did that already!!

Phoebe

#12 7 years ago

Go play it at Allentown! I enjoyed playing the pro and the premium. Not sure I'd give up my SM though...

#13 7 years ago

I would definitely put in some time on Aerosmith first. The code may just fall flat .... cough, cough..Kiss.

That said, If you are tired of Spiderman trade it. I personally can't keep all of the games that I like and I enjoy playing something new.

#14 7 years ago

I am not a big fan of SM ... its a good game, but not a favorite of mine. However SM is an established classic whereas Aerosmith is the new flavor of the month. It's also a good game (I like it better than SM) but its not a proven classic. If you trade the SM. then keep in mind AS might be harder to dump in the future.... but if that's of no concern, trade away

#15 7 years ago

Aerosmith been there done that with spidey

#16 7 years ago

I mean speaking from experience I know what I would do.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#17 7 years ago

I would do the trade there are things I don't like about Aerosmith but I like it more than spider Man because it has more toys. I really like toys in games.

#18 7 years ago

The color dmd has made a ton of difference on SM - seems way better than B/W color dmd's for some reason.

And so for me it would depend how good the AS deal was.

#19 7 years ago

I don't see all the hype on aerosmith. Spider-Man is a keeper.

#20 7 years ago

i am in the same boat. while i love spiderman i am at a point where it is a long game to get back to hero mode. for me is seems like long play b4 things get exciting again. i like the difficulty of the AS shots. but at the same time i am wondering if they are done with the code. Kiss code still haunts my decisions.

#21 7 years ago

Lyman's Tavern in DC has a brand new Aerosmith LE. Not sure if you get around that area at all for a chance to check it out. I played it for awhile this morning, pretty fun pin, but I'm in no rush to purchase one at this time. I'll need to play it quite a bit more before I decide if I want one for home use. I would keep Spider-Man over an Aerosmith pro.

#23 7 years ago

I just watched some AS video and didn't really find it compelling since I could not hear the machine audio. It was basically mode = hit flashing shots x number of times. I understand that this is still early code, but Lonnie does not really impress me overall.

#24 7 years ago
Quoted from busa32927:

i am in the same boat. while i love spiderman i am at a point where it is a long game to get back to hero mode. for me is seems like long play b4 things get exciting again. i like the difficulty of the AS shots. but at the same time i am wondering if they are done with the code. Kiss code still haunts my decisions.

I've posted this before, but if people are finding SM repetitious with long ball times then try removing center post and even replace flippers with lightning flippers. It gives the game and code a whole new light of risk/reward + progression.

Takes me about 20 mins to get to super hero which to me is ideal to beat most pins. It took me nearly 20 mins just to get to the first wizard mode in AS. Now if I were getting to Battle Royale and super hero with all the same multipliers lit all the time, yea it'd get a little boring. Make the game harder as suggested, and give it that element of edge of the cliff risk/reward - the software supports this pin to be setup hard.

Just my 2 cents.

#26 7 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I just watched some AS video and didn't really find it compelling since I could not hear the machine audio. It was basically mode = hit flashing shots x number of times. I understand that this is still early code, but Lonnie does not really impress me overall.

I know what you are saying but trust me Aerosmith is lonnies masterpiece and some of the best code we have seen in awhile you got to get your hands on one to flip it; and then you will see what all the hype is about

#27 7 years ago

If it is the real Spiderman and in good shape I would say no way. With PF inserts ghosting and clear chipping and cabs splitting I would keep what I had. If it is that SMVE with that skinny spiderman I would trade it.

#28 7 years ago
Quoted from musketd:

I know what you are saying but trust me Aerosmith is lonnies masterpiece and some of the best code we have seen in awhile you got to get your hands on one to flip it; and then you will see what all the hype is about

The code is entertaining, but it's nowhere near the "Best code we have seen in a while." You do this every time you get a new game, you overhype it to the moon and back. I'm genuinely glad that you like the game, but don't be silly with your claims.

GoT has better code, TWD has better code, Metallica has better code, and GB has better code. For most of what Stern is shipping, it's with better code than what Aerosmith has so far. Now, that doesn't mean that Aerosmith can't be better with more work, but the code is just fine, not spectacular at this point.

Spider-Man also has better code than Aerosmith, as long as we're comparing the two.

And that's not to diss on Aerosmith! The code is fun. It's just not outstanding at this point. Stern has put together some games that are coded excellently in the past 2-3 years. Of what's being shipped, Batman is really the only current disappointment (unless you count KISS as a shipping game right now).

#29 7 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

If it is the real Spiderman and in good shape I would say no way. With PF inserts ghosting and clear chipping and cabs splitting I would keep what I had. If it is that SMVE with that skinny spiderman I would trade it.

It's the real deal

Cab is 100% no scuffs or nicks what so ever

IMG_3001 (resized).PNGIMG_3001 (resized).PNGIMG_3002 (resized).PNGIMG_3002 (resized).PNG

IMG_3003 (resized).PNGIMG_3003 (resized).PNG

#30 7 years ago

Just got done playing 20 games of As. I personally own spidy and was thinking of trading it for AS as well. After playing the 20 games there is no way in hell i would trade my spidy away. The art and color display are top notch but gameplay, code and callouts are not even on the same level

#31 7 years ago

No way I would do that trade! My Spidey is never leaving

#32 7 years ago

You say that you play SM a lot and you liked it enough to give it another shot in your line-up after letting one go before. My advice is to keep SM and find another way to fund the AS to add to your collection. It's not like Stern is halting production anytime soon. If you start to get sick of playing any pin, it's a pretty good indicator that the pin is ready to leave. I don't get that feeling from your original post. I think its a knee jerk reaction to quickly add an Aerosmith pin to your collection.

#33 7 years ago

Wanted to get SM again since the ColorDMD display was out, couldn't stand the orange dots.

Deep down, I didn't really want AS (until I play it) if I was getting something it would be TA, I was only thinking of AS because one came up in my area for trade with SM.

#34 7 years ago
Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

I mean speaking from experience I know what I would do.

Your SM doesn't stack up to his SM IMO...So do you know?

I own a original SM and a ASLE so I can't compare the AS pro. I would just save up and buy AS or wait until SW is released and someone will jump the AS pro ship.

#35 7 years ago

Get a Houdini and make both SM and AS disappear.

#36 7 years ago

Really digging my Aero Pro right now. Tough shots and awesome multiball rules.

#37 7 years ago
Quoted from wdpvideo:

I own a original SM and a ASLE so I can't compare the AS pro. I would just save up and buy AS or wait until SW is released and someone will jump the AS pro ship.

What the heck is your problem?

#38 7 years ago
Quoted from wdpvideo:

Tobey and actor spidey can't hold a candle next to the VE; just so you know

#39 7 years ago

No doubt.

Brad

sm_vs_as.pngsm_vs_as.png

#40 7 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Tobey and actor spidey can't hold a candle next to the VE; just so you know

I would not say the red SM is bad, it had great voice call outs from JK Simmons and Willem DaFoe and Bonesaw.

I also like the comic book but not that version for VE I'd rather have Larson or McFarlane.

I like SMVE the dots look way better and I prefer very bright pins.

#41 7 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I would not say the red SM is bad, it had great voice call outs from JK Simmons and Willem DaFoe and Bonesaw.
I also like the comic book but not that version for VE I'd rather have Larson or McFarlane.
I like SMVE the dots look way better and I prefer very bright pins.

The callouts on SM are 100x better than SMVE if you ask me and the Green Goblin actually looks like the Green Goblin, he even has his glider and shakes his money maker!

Back on topic - haven't had a chance to play AS yet but definitely think that SM is one of Stern's top 5 ever so it's a tough one to beat.

#42 7 years ago

The original SM is better than SMVE, for sure. The sounds are much better on the original, especially the callouts. The game also plays better. I've probably played 20 different VEs and countless originals, and the VE just has a flimsier feel to it. The animations on the VE are pretty lame too...typically just a sliding image or very minimal movement to them.

SMVE isn't bad, but it suffers a bit from Stern's efforts to save price on builds. You can really feel it when you play one if you're used to playing on an original.

#43 7 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

The original SM is better than SMVE, for sure. The sounds are much better on the original, especially the callouts. The game also plays better. I've probably played 20 different VEs and countless originals, and the VE just has a flimsier feel to it. The animations on the VE are pretty lame too...typically just a sliding image or very minimal movement to them.
SMVE isn't bad, but it suffers a bit from Stern's efforts to save price on builds. You can really feel it when you play one if you're used to playing on an original.

Not in my experience. I've owned 2 original SM's; sold them both cause I just couldn't get past the movie theme. Call outs, art, animations all annoyed the hell out of me. Guess I was the target market for SMVE cause I loved the game, despised the theme. SMVE feels like a comic pin, which is how it should be...at least to me. It's great we have choices now! A great pin that I couldn't fully appreciate it cause of theme.

As for the build and feel; same to me, just looks and sounds much better. I got a later run build so clear coat is sweet. Game play is fast. Feels the same, if not better than the original HUO's I owned. It was weird playing it for the first couple days. cause I was so used to the original.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Rockford, IL
$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 9.95
Playfield - Plastics
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Terre Haute, IN
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 12.75
$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.50
Machine - For Sale
Milford, CT
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 8.00
6,984 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Grafton, WI
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/should-i-trade-sm-for-as-pro?hl=gravity and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.