(Topic ID: 14481)

Should I trade my TOM for TAF plus cash?

By schwarz

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 39 posts
  • 26 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by schwarz
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 12 years ago

The TAF needs shopping but looks to be in good shape. My TOM however is in awesome condition.
Decisions, decisions.

#2 12 years ago

There is nothing better than TAF.

#3 12 years ago

Addams Family is such a horrible game. ToM is way better. Aside from all that which is just my opinion, I think Addams Family is worth slightly less than ToM (but not much). Therefore, unless they are totally equal condition, the answer I'd give is no way.

#4 12 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Addams Family is such a horrible game

Yes, terrible, over 21,000 sold ...why? ranked forever as the number one on IPDB, and now 2, because it's total crap...

#5 12 years ago

If someone is giving you a TAF (needs shopped but nice under the dirt) plus cash for your mint TOM, then you are getting the best end of that deal. Period.

#6 12 years ago

If your TOM is as nice as indicated then the guy with the unshopped TAF definitely needs to add in a chunk of cash to balance the equation.

#7 12 years ago

Absolutelyyyyyyyyyyy !!!!!

#8 12 years ago
Quoted from jarjarisgod:

If your TOM is as nice as indicated then the guy with the unshopped TAF definitely needs to add in a chunk of cash to balance the equation.

+1. And agree with AtomicBoy TAF is a great game. Sold mint TOM - two of them - kept TAF. Good luck.

#9 12 years ago

I vote yes. TAF > TOM

#10 12 years ago
Quoted from badbilly27:

Sold mint TOM - two of them - kept TAF.

If you ever get another minty one, let me know.

#11 12 years ago
Quoted from jarjarisgod:

If you ever get another minty one, let me know.

Hard search 1st one, 2nd one dumb luck. Will definitely let you know if dumb luck hits me again. You're local.

#12 12 years ago
Quoted from badbilly27:

Hard search 1st one, 2nd one dumb luck. Will definitely let you know if dumb luck hits me again. You're local.

Dumb luck comes in handy in this hobby. That's how I landed the WH2O I'll be picking up in a couple weeks. Thanks for keeping me in mind!

#13 12 years ago

I think I would sell Tom before taf, but a nice Tom is hard to find, good luck that's a tough call

#14 12 years ago

TAF every day and twice on Sundays... and this is from a huge TOM and JPOP fan.
Not as flashy and "pretty" as TOM, but better pinball overall. It will last longer.

#15 12 years ago

What are you waiting for? TAF hands down. The masses have spoken!

#16 12 years ago

If it was me, no way! never understood all the hype around taf.

#17 12 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

There is nothing better than TAF.

Yep. Love TAF

#18 12 years ago

really comes down to "How much cash?" I understand the hype behind TAF but I am a big fan of TOM.

#19 12 years ago

There is no 'hype' around TAF. It is well established as a great game.

#20 12 years ago

Alrighty then. TAF it is. So anywhere between $1400-1800 cash and I should be good then I guess.

#21 12 years ago
Quoted from schwarz:

Alrighty then. TAF it is. So anywhere between $1400-1800 cash and I should be good then I guess.

that will just about do it...great couple of games..hard choice but 100 bucks would sway me just look out for magnet burn on TAF ( will be discolored in the clouds..kinda yellow is the burn)

#22 12 years ago

I wouldnt! Your giving up one of the best looking playfields for the ugliest A title playfield ever!

#23 12 years ago

They sell for nearly the same price. If the TAF has great bones (i.e clean PF without any beat up inserts on Mansion, mag burn, or hole damage and a nice cab) then you are gonna make out like a bandit on this deal. Check TAF ramps for cracks also, they seem common.

Good luck with the trade! cheers

#24 12 years ago

no man.....you need SS with mirror blades for sure!

#25 12 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

markmon said:Addams Family is such a horrible game
Yes, terrible, over 21,000 sold ...why? ranked forever as the number one on IPDB, and now 2, because it's total crap...

Yes, I agree. It's total crap.

#26 12 years ago

Go for it

#27 12 years ago

...and don't get me wrong, TOM is a great game too (I have both), but there is nothing that does it for me like TAF.

I played the hell out it the moment it came out, it was the second game I got when I started collecting, and I still get excited everytime I turn it on now.

Some people don't like it (as with every single machine), but so many things speak volume for it.

#28 12 years ago

NO WAY!

#29 12 years ago
Quoted from algrande:

no man.....you need SS with mirror blades for sure!

At least there's always plan c.
Plan b being selling it for cash here in desperate Canuckle land.

#30 12 years ago

TOM>TAF for me. You can go just about anywhere that has pinball and find a TAF. I never see TOM on location. I tend to favor games that you don't see everywhere you go.

#31 12 years ago

TAF!!...All the way!!

#32 12 years ago

I think you are getting the better value. Unless I am way off, I thought TAF was worth more than ToM. Hard to follow prices as they have been increasing rapidly over the last few months.

In terms of gameplay, I had both and both have left. That's not to say they are boring games. I enjoy both and love playing them at friend's houses. I just found both too easy after awhile.

Hitting Uncle Fester on TAF is not hard in a home setting. You will master that shot quickly. Once mastered touring the masion is fairly easy. In fact, touring the mansion a couple of times isn't too hard. But the light show, sound effects, and multiball are awesome.

I find the flow on ToM much better. The ball really whips around. Like TAF, starting the wizard mode isn't that difficult. The wizard mode is a let down. Not a great wizard mode at all. But the sound effects, theme, and flow are amazing and I enjoy it alot.

At the end of the day, I think it comes down to which game you like more. I think you are getting the better part of the trade. You could always do the trade and sell TAF down the road if you don't like it; however will you regret selling a nice ToM? They don't come around often anymore.

Good luck,
Duane

#33 12 years ago
Quoted from Anim8ormatt:

TOM>TAF for me. You can go just about anywhere that has pinball and find a TAF. I never see TOM on location. I tend to favor games that you don't see everywhere you go.

I would probably agree with you if that was the case up here but the closest location to me is about a 6 hour drive. Yipes!

#34 12 years ago

I would personally hold on to TOM. I think the high value of JPops other pins (CV & TOTAN) will help pull the value up, plus it is a really good playing & looking game. I guess it depends on how much cash is on the table... Unshopped TAF + $800~ then I'd consider it

#35 12 years ago

Yup. Nuff said.

#36 12 years ago

You could always sell it to me

Dan

#37 12 years ago

Had both of them. Theatre of magic is a beautiful game maybe the best looking pin made. However for me it got too repetitive. I played Addams a bunch of times on beat up tables and couldn't understand the draw. Once I played a fully working example I got it. So much so I got a fully restored one. Needless to say it is still here and theatre is sold. If if is in good shape and your getting dollars to boot I'd jump on it.

#38 12 years ago

distance distance.... damn

we have a TAF and we are looking for a TOM and we know we are not going to keep TAF.

like someone said, '' i just wanna punch my location in the face''

#39 12 years ago

If my TAF deal falls thru she's goin on kijiji. Pinsider priorty given to algrande and pingod of course.
I will keep you guys updated.
Yo pingod! Do you have a TOM already?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 67.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 84.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
GMods

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 119.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 130.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 47.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

€ 150.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
TheDudeMods

$ 28.99
Playfield - Protection
Lee's Parts

26,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Auckland, NZ
$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Sandy Springs, GA
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/should-i-trade-my-tom-for-taf-plus-cash?responsive=0 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.