(Topic ID: 38327)

Should I swap my Congo + $2500 for Tron 2D?

By swampfire

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 41 posts
  • 26 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by pinmister
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Which would you rather have?”

• A minty Congo and $2500 27 votes
    42%
  • A brand-new Tron Pro (2D) 26 votes
    41%
  • Neither - sell the Congo and take the money to Vegas 4 votes
    6%
  • Figure out a way to get them both (explain) 7 votes
    11%

(64 votes)

#1 11 years ago

When Tron first came out, I decided that the layout was too similar to Congo for me to consider adding it to my collection. Well, now that Congo is finally getting some love, I think I could sell it and upgrade (?) to a NIB Tron for around $2500. I have to check with my family first, of course.

I still like Congo a lot, but I've had it for 8 years, and change is good. Has anyone else made this switch, and do you regret it?

#2 11 years ago

Do anything you can to get a Tron over Congo.

#3 11 years ago

I should probably add that Congo is my last remaining B/W DMD. I'm not sentimental about B/W, and in fact I like the idea of moving to a row of 4 Sterns (Tron, IM, LOTR, CSI). Plus, I can always swap boards with IM if I ever need to troubleshoot - its' good to have pins paired off like that.

#4 11 years ago

Since you have had it so long I would make the switch, but I personally really like Congo and think it would be a tough trade if I didn't have Congo too long.

#5 11 years ago

Yes.. yes you should.

#6 11 years ago

It's nice to have a mix of makers but it's no big deal. You've had it forever, it's hard to see it go, but you'll get over it. Once you don;t have to listen to that annoying Monkey jibber jabber at you and listen to Tron you'll forget aboot it.

#7 11 years ago

My niece always says "you can never sell Congo", but she's 16 now and lives in another state. Tough decision! I love the music in Congo, and the volcano shot...I need to go play Tron tonight.

#8 11 years ago

Tron 10000% better....and I almost always take a B/W over Stern.

#9 11 years ago

Sorry, but unless you have a screw loose you should NEVER make that trade.

Tron is very similar to Congo in layout , but Congo is a better theme and is AWESOME!

Go play Tron and ask yourself, is this really worth $2500 less in my wallet? Flat out crazy!

If you have $2500 to burn, go buy another sweet 90s era game AND keep CONGO!

#10 11 years ago

ya, 2500 gets you another sweet 90's Williams machine!

#11 11 years ago

I bet if your poll had an option of

"A minty Congo AND Bally/Williams Game X" it would be winning by a landslide.

#12 11 years ago

Get the Tron... very good game and an easy sell once you play it enough and run it to the ground

#13 11 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I bet if your poll had an option of
"A minty Congo AND Bally/Williams Game X" it would be winning by a landslide.

Too true, I think we pinheads value pins over cash any day.

#14 11 years ago

I can also say from searching before I bought mine that MINTY Congos are pretty rare.

Most have cracked Volcanoes and blown out MAP and Diamond holes

#15 11 years ago

I like the idea of keeping Congo and picking up something else for 2500 or less

#16 11 years ago

I've owned a clearcoated, minty Congo for 4-5 years now.
I got a tron last month.
I do not feel they have the same layout at all. Totally different playing games.

I would say that Tron edges out Congo in fun factor AND theme, but both are solid playing pinballs.
Rules in Congo aren't very deep as the "wizard mode" is just another multiball.... wait...
tron is, too.....

If you've owned congo that long, move it along and let someone else enjoy it. Or hold onto it for awhile - I hear it's the next Medieval Madness.... lol

D

#17 11 years ago

Tough one. Having just purchased a Tron clearly that's my choice. I enjoyed playing Congo, but I didn't really like the theme nearly as much as Tron and that's pretty important for me. Layout being similar, I like the center target recognizer (reminds me of AFM/MM) and the multiple multiballs of Tron more (especially Quora). I don't think you'd regret getting Tron.

I plan to build a 4 machine collection and I kept debating on a couple B/W machines or the new Stern. I'll get the B/W ones later.

#18 11 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Sorry, but unless you have a screw loose you should NEVER make that trade.

Tron is very similar to Congo in layout , but Congo is a better theme and is AWESOME!

Pffft...whatever Hilton.

#19 11 years ago

Cash isn't that tight, so I might hang onto my minty Congo. Seems like every time I sell a pin, it's worth twice as much 5-10 years later, e.g. :

$2400 TZ (d'oh!)
$2300 WhiteWater (nice one too!)

#20 11 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I actually agree with this. I like the music and jungle drums from Congo and even like the B-movie theme. Given the option of watching Tron Legacy or Congo again, I'd probably watch Congo. Jo Don Baker FTW! (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000833/)

#21 11 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

When Tron first came out, I decided that the layout was too similar to Congo for me to consider adding it to my collection. Well, now that Congo is finally getting some love, I think I could sell it and upgrade (?) to a NIB Tron for around $2500. I have to check with my family first, of course.
I still like Congo a lot, but I've had it for 8 years, and change is good. Has anyone else made this switch, and do you regret it?

I wouldn't trade my Congo for a Tron...Not even straight up!! But then I don't see the similarity you speak of either, but the theme of Tron does nothin' for me either...

Phoebe

#22 11 years ago

I place a higher value than most on Congo. I've yet to spend much time playing Tron but may buy one if I like it. What is the going rate on Tron?

#23 11 years ago

MnHotRod you got your Congo?! Glad you finally got that one. Congo is a more fun game than Tron from the few times I played each of them.

#24 11 years ago
Quoted from MnHotRod:

What is the going rate on Tron?

They are doing a new run of Tron right now but I am not sure if there are any left.
I have played both Congo and Tron this is not even close Tron rules this one.

#25 11 years ago

Tron is really fun but HIGHLY OVER RATED COST WISE.

#26 11 years ago

Congo is such a great game and so rare. You'd have an easier time buying a tron then a Congo. I'd say keep the Congo. Sell off a bunch of those older games and buy the tron.

#27 11 years ago

I have had my Congo the longest of all my games and do not see it leaving my collection anytime soon. I debated getting a Tron a few times in the past and I was afraid it would be too similar to Congo but I have talked to a few owners that have both and assured me they are nothing alike and can stand side by side in the same collection without feeling redundant. I would say keep Congo and sell something else to raise money to buy a Tron.

#28 11 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Congo is such a great game and so rare. You'd have an easier time buying a tron then a Congo. I'd say keep the Congo. Sell off a bunch of those older games and buy the tron.

Congo is one fun and unique pin not to mention rare. I would find a way to keep it as Markmon suggested. Tron is very popular on this site, don't get me wrong I really enjoy playing Tron but I am not sure I like it +2500 more than a minty Congo if at all.

#29 11 years ago

Wow, based on the poll it's an even 50/50 split on whether to keep Congo. I've decided to keep it - comments about the fact that they are very different games were very helpful, thanks! Now I just need to convince my wife that if I spend $$ on a Tron today, it will be worth $$$ in a few years.

Congo was my first-ever DMD, and I still remember the rush I felt when I got it home and played it. It had a deep ruleset (compared to my Space Station and BK), awesome DCS sound, what a great pin. There's nothing like your first DMD.

#30 11 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

to convince my wife that if I spend $$ on a Tron today, it will be worth $$$ in a few years.

No one can predict the future values but Stern has been selling out of new Tron runs for two years now.

#31 11 years ago

most are going to say yes, because congo doesn't get a lot of love. Personally, I like it, I like the collection Diamonds aspect of the rules over stuff we've seen before. There are a lot of Tron fanboys on this site, so your going to get an overwelming vote for tron.

#32 11 years ago

no brainer, of course!

#33 11 years ago

My $ 0.02.
I have Congo and put lots of time getting it to an excellent condition. i owned TRON LE (no. 33) NIB for two years but traded it. i don't miss it yet. It is a challenging game but it got old for me. Left and right ramps are smooth but i did not like the Gem shot and even the quorra loop shot. The recognizer disk is neat but not that big of a deal and I got to where I tried to avoid it until i had to shoot it. Congo is different game to me altogether. Getting the extra ball on the Volcano shot is really gratifying and shooting the Volcano jackpot is really fun.. The more diamonds, the more your jackpot is worth. I like the Jungle Jackpot mode also. My Congo plays very fast and smooth and sits between my Jurrassic park and CFTBL and will be here for a long time.

#34 11 years ago

I brought this topic up with my wife and son today, and I was immediately shot down. They both love Congo. I played a few games tonight and I remembered that I love it too. No more selling good pins! I just need to play better - it's been too long since my last Jungle Jackpot. And I love the "super skill shot" from plunging directly into the kickback (left outlane).

I'm doing a temp trade with a couple who are friends in the league, so I'll have their Tron for several months while LOTR takes a vacation with them. Hopefully that will be enough Tron for me.

#35 11 years ago

glad to see you have come to your senses

#36 11 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

glad to see you have come to your senses

yes, very VERY glad...

whew.

#37 11 years ago

tron is the flavor of the month. plus they are running more, then more, then more of them from the factory. can you buy a nice congo these days? probably not. just keep it, you're not missing much without a tron.

#38 11 years ago

Great choice to keep Congo. I really don't get the fascination with Tron. Especially the LE. Anything past 5k for the LE or 4k for the pro doesn't make sense. I just got to play an LE last week after going over a year between plays and I admit it looks cool (except for the really dark colors on the payfield) but the price vs fun factor just isn't there for me.

#39 11 years ago
Quoted from metahugh:

I really don't get the fascination with Tron. Especially the LE. Anything past 5k for the LE or 4k for the pro doesn't make sense.

Tron is a fantastic game, but completely agree with the LE being crazy priced.

#40 11 years ago

Tron > Congo anyday.

#41 11 years ago

I agree with your comment about selling pins that double in price over the years. With supply and demand-demand seems to be increasing for this game. I saw one in Oakland,CA. for $5000 and almost fell off my chair. I would personally hold on to it -or ask more for it to get closer to a tron. Then I would call automated services and pre-order next tron run. Mike will probably set up payment plan as well-which might enable you to keep Congo and buy Tron. Good luck!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 350.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 6.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Drums, PA
10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Willington, DE
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
PFX Pinball Mods

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 39.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 8.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 32.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 109.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Colorado Springs, CO
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/should-i-swap-my-congo-2500-for-tron-2d and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.