(Topic ID: 315419)

Should I swap a worn playfield for one that is slightly less worn?

By Sectorseven

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by slochar
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

replacementplayfield (resized).jpg
currentplayfield (resized).jpg
#1 1 year ago

I have never done a playfield swap. I am willing to attempt it, but I would hate to botch it since this is the only game I have.

I'm sure I could touch up the replacement a bit.

But is the risk worth the reward?

currentplayfield (resized).jpgcurrentplayfield (resized).jpgreplacementplayfield (resized).jpgreplacementplayfield (resized).jpg
#2 1 year ago

I would only swap if the replacement playfield was touched up and clear coated.

#3 1 year ago
Quoted from kevmad:

I would only swap if the replacement playfield was touched up and clear coated.

I know a painter who could touch it up well enough, especially once it's populated it would probably look ok, but clear coating is not an option.

#4 1 year ago

If it were on something other than a Kings Of Steel....maybe. That title isn't worth much.

#5 1 year ago
Quoted from Sectorseven:

I know a painter who could touch it up well enough, especially once it's populated it would probably look ok, but clear coating is not an option.

Clear coating the playfield is a breeze. Take a look at SprayMax. It is a two part Urethane Clear in a spray can. You can only order it online. There is a button on the bottom of the can that will mix the two parts together. Then you shake for two minutes and your ready. One can will get you a bit more than three coats of clear on your playfield. You will want to use the entire can once you mix and spray. I did a MM playfield with it and it came out fantastic. The artwork really pops. The colors are richer and it looks like the playfield is under water. One thing. Get a cheap filter mask when you spray that stuff. You do not want to breath it! Once it cures, (about two weeks) Wet sand with 2000 grit then rub it out with Mill Wax. Mill Wax did the best job for me. I did 7 coats of clear on mine. It sounds like a lot, but this stuff is pretty thin.

#6 1 year ago
Quoted from Sectorseven:

I have never done a playfield swap. I am willing to attempt it, but I would hate to botch it since this is the only game I have.

And that's just one reason to get more games!

#7 1 year ago

If you are going to keep the game go for it. The one in it is blown out. Take plenty of pictures and talk to people who have done playfield swaps. I have done several and would be happy to give some advice from my experience.

#8 1 year ago

Its your game so you can does as you want. If you plan on keeping it for a long time and as practice to swap on go for it. A money making project for resale no. As for learning its got all the holes already so that part is not so tough. You could pre install the new lights sockets and braided wire then install mechanical stuff not reused from old playfeild. This would get stuff done before you disassembling the working game. lucky you will enjoy it and maybe do more later or you learn your 1 and done.

Take more picture then more pictures because once its apart and you forget something. Then its hope pinside pictures can rescue you.

#9 1 year ago

It would be a wasted effort unless you get that spare playfield properly restored and cleared or mylared if you hate clearcoat.

If you go the Mylar route, wax the playfield and then lay the Mylar down and you’ll be golden for decades.

#10 1 year ago

Yeah that playfield looks quite a bit nicer than the one in your game. I say go for it if a swap seems like something you might enjoy.

#11 1 year ago

I also just noticed a few major differences in the artwork between the two playfields. The severely worn one has the Kings coming to life, popping out of the cards and getting ready to battle each other and on the other one they are just regular king cards. The lower right hand on the worn one has 3 pinballs near it ( not there on the less worn one). And the worn one some areas that fade from yellow to red and the less worn one these areas are just solid yellow. Interesting. I wonder when the changes were made and if one or the other had a considerably smaller run or not?

#12 1 year ago
Quoted from Sectorseven:

But is the risk worth the reward?

Do you NOT want to play you your only pinball machine whilst you do this swap for a month or 2?
Are you good with troubleshooting after you swap and you have a few problems?

#13 1 year ago

I think it’s going to be a matter of how much time you’re willing to dedicate. Lots of work to do a swap, but relatively low risk if you’re careful. I think you have to decide if it’s worth 40 plus hours of time for a better playfield that’s still not new.

The art differences are interesting between the playfields.

#14 1 year ago
Quoted from trilogybeer:

I also just noticed a few major differences in the artwork between the two playfields. The severely worn one has the Kings coming to life, popping out of the cards and getting ready to battle each other and on the other one they are just regular king cards. The lower right hand on the worn one has 3 pinballs near it ( not there on the less worn one). And the worn one some areas that fade from yellow to red and the less worn one these areas are just solid yellow. Interesting. I wonder when the changes were made and if one or the other had a considerably smaller run or not?

IPDB notes that the fighting kings version was early production.

https://ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=1382

#15 1 year ago

The fighting kings one is way better. I do like the artwork on this game.

The game is 'ok' but needs a rom update to nerf the strategy of right lane repeating. Should get back to that.

#16 1 year ago
Quoted from slochar:

The fighting kings one is way better. I do like the artwork on this game.
The game is 'ok' but needs a rom update to nerf the strategy of right lane repeating. Should get back to that.

The backglass has always been one of my favorites.

#17 1 year ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

The backglass has always been one of my favorites.

I have one hanging on my wall.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 55.00
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu

1,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Haverhill, MA
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 85.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/should-i-swap-a-worn-playfield-for-one-that-is-slightly-less-worn and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.