(Topic ID: 181175)

Should I ship on pallet, on legs or freestanding?

By gundogs

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 38 posts
  • 30 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Sonny_Jim
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

197 (resized).JPG
    199 (resized).JPG
    crate (resized).jpg
    222 (resized).jpg
    Untitled (resized).jpg
    beltman pickup (resized).JPG

#1 7 years ago

I'm having Michelle Bianchi ship a game across country. They have the following options and I'm not sure which is most secure. Regardless of option the cardboard the corners, shrink wrap and blanket it.

Options:

1) Standing on legs with head down.
    2) Legs off, head down and standing upright.
    3) Legs off, head down and laying flat on a pallet (I had one delivered this way before and found they just shrink wrap to pallet rather than securing it)

#2 7 years ago

Personally, I'd go with the legs on option.

#3 7 years ago

Option 2. Legs off, head folded down and strapped to the body, standing upright. At least that's how manufacturers do it. Seems safest because nothing could fall into the glass at any angle, whereas if it's laying down there are still portions of glass that could be hit.

#4 7 years ago

Legs off head down standing upright strapped to pallet.

#5 7 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballlew:

Legs off head down standing upright strapped to pallet.

+1

#7 7 years ago
    Quoted from gundogs:

They have the following options and I'm not sure which is most secure.

Either way will be fine. I prefer shipping and receiving legs on. Use leg protectors and make sure leg bolts are tight if shipping with legs on.

#8 7 years ago

check with your shipper to see how THEY want it... you will get insurance from them... so its prudent to wrap/pallet/box/leg on-off/upright/head down HOW THEY WANT.

I have shipped many with NAVL (sti-beltman) and protocol (lately) seems to be legs on/head down wrapped or strapped to body... THEY DO THE REST.

"other guys" may want or need it some other way - ASK THEM!

beltman pickup (resized).JPGbeltman pickup (resized).JPG

#9 7 years ago
    #10 7 years ago

On a pallet, head folded, legs removed, standing up. Protect edges/corners appropriately, isolate head from the cabinet so as to not damage the head or cabinet sides, shrink wrap then strap to pallet. A heavy duty cardboard wrap to help protect the sides of the cabinet would be nice too, but I doubt that is included.

Safest way out of the 3 you listed.

Keep your fingers crossed your machine isn't handled by a bunch of careless buffoons!!! When the machine is in the center of the pallet, the pallet can be easily moved by hand / fork truck, and the machine shouldn't come into contact with any other freight. If you ship with the legs on, and the machine just sitting in the truck, your exposing all the surfaces / edges of the machine to making contact with whatever else is in the truck. Not to mention if someone decides to pick it up and move it with a fork truck or accidentally backs into it with the fork truck...

#11 7 years ago

As the above post gets into... it's sort of a dice roll regardless because of how shippers are. I was talking to Steve from Pinball Refinery and he told me about a LOTR he did that got skewered by a forklift straight through the coin door... lifted the under playfield rails up and through the playfield itself. Totally destroyed every part of the game

I'd still do my best, get insurance on it, and cross my fingers though.

#12 7 years ago

Option 1 I prefer.

#13 7 years ago

Sitting flat on a pallet, shrink wrapped and strapped down.

The lower the centre of gravity an object has inside a vehicle in motion the better in my view.

#14 7 years ago

Legs off, head down and laying flat on a pallet... and building a wood box on top of the pallet that surrounds the machine. I usually use OSB plywood board and screw down the box to the pallet. This way you have a 95% chance that the machine won't be damaged. And make sure you take photos of the machine and the shipping box when the shipping company takes possession of the machine...

#15 7 years ago

I'd say legs of head down and standing upright, have you ever tried to stand up in a car while someone driving and makes a turn there are tremendous g-forces involved. The body is to fragile to withstand that even if you have a good cushioning, that's why the nylon feet are on the back. Ideally if you could devise a pallet with one wall to strap everything to, that would be the bees-knees!

Untitled (resized).jpgUntitled (resized).jpg

222 (resized).jpg222 (resized).jpg

#16 7 years ago

Thanks for all the opinions. NAVL (belledman) ships it on legs if I want it insured. I'll let you know when my TOTAN arrives in 10 days.

#17 7 years ago

I just had to ship a pinball machine from PA to CO with STI about 2 weeks ago, first time I ever shipped a pin. I was told legs on, top down by the buyer who claimed he'd had multiple games arrive that way with no issues ever so that's how I did it. Both drivers also told me the way I had it was perfect. It arrived to the buyer in Colorado with no damage at all. I'm still on the fence as to what is best, but legs off + standing upright on a pallet would be my second choice.

#18 7 years ago

Standing on legs just seems a bit risky especially considering if it is forked on and off the delivery truck or moved around the depot with this method.

Only going on my own experiences, but if I turned up to my shipping broker with a free standing pinball machine they wouldn't accept it and tell me to go home and put it on a strapped and wrapped pallet.

Whatever the shipping company wants to qualify for insurance though I guess.

#19 7 years ago
    Quoted from pinsanity:

Standing on legs just seems a bit risky especially considering if it is forked on and off the delivery truck or moved around the depot with this method.
    Only going on my own experiences, but if I turned up to my shipping broker with a free standing pinball machine they wouldn't accept it and tell me to go home and put it on a strapped and wrapped pallet.
    Whatever the shipping company wants to qualify for insurance though I guess.

I agree shipping it like a NIB makes the most sense, but 110% whatever keeps it insured!

#20 7 years ago

I had my TAFG delivered by this company.and they are the best!! My TAFG was sent on its legs,and I cannot recommend this method! The crew does a fantastic job wrapping it up perfectly!! BUT,the shaking up it gets on its legs causes some things to get loose! My swamp ramp was out of aligment,and a few loose ends! Option #2 is best,imho!!

#22 7 years ago

I just received 2 pins in on Monday delivered by STI. They blanketed, wrapped, put on the white edge protectors, and left the legs ON. Machines arrived fine. I was worried but couldn't find anything wrong with them. Looked pretty much like the pin in post #8 by pinnaf. I've read horror and success stories both ways. As mentioned already, I think it comes down to how the shipper wants it for THEIR insurance purposes. Make sure you pay for the FULL VALUE insurance.

#23 7 years ago

If you want to make sure it gets there unharmed.

crate (resized).jpgcrate (resized).jpg

#24 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

If you want to make sure it gets there unharmed.

Wow. It's like a fort on a pallet.

#25 7 years ago

Sometimes I think more thought went into that crate than some of the games out there.

#26 7 years ago

MEH. I see chipping on the clear coat of that pallet......

#27 7 years ago

Only shipped one and it was legs on

#28 7 years ago

I still chuckle everytime I look at these pics. Delivery guy could barely clear the door of the truck, certainly didn't clear my garage door.

Everything was fine, I don't think the seller knew how to fold the head down (didn't look like the lockdown bar had been removed in years).

199 (resized).JPG199 (resized).JPG

197 (resized).JPG197 (resized).JPG

#29 7 years ago

It's a pinball mummy.

2 months later
    #30 6 years ago

Man, that CAN"T be good for a cabinet traveling thousands of miles in a semi. Why anyone would transport a game with the legs on (or worse yet the head up) is beyond me. Hello???? the reason some of these games are falling apart at the seams is this. They are NOT meant to be transported with the legs on......period....

#31 6 years ago
    Quoted from frank34obx:

Man, that CAN"T be good for a cabinet traveling thousands of miles in a semi. Why anyone would transport a game with the legs on (or worse yet the head up) is beyond me. Hello???? the reason some of these games are falling apart at the seams is this. They are NOT meant to be transported with the legs on......period....

Stern is shipping plenty of them that are falling apart being pelleted. Plenty of games are shipping on legs all the time and it's fine.

#32 6 years ago

Legs on, head down. Wrap and protect all edges. That way 2 guys move it, not a fork lift. Haven't had a problem.

#33 6 years ago
    Quoted from gundogs:

Thanks for all the opinions. NAVL (belledman) ships it on legs if I want it insured. I'll let you know when my TOTAN arrives in 10 days.

How did it work out and what method was used?

#34 6 years ago

shipped a lot of games in and out always STI and on the legs but, the BB has to be down strapped and on a blanket and the machine should be completely shrink wrapped. Out of probably 20 games shipped never had one damaged in shipping.

#35 6 years ago

If its being shipped "legs on" it is a good idea to have the back levelers all the way down.

3 months later
    #36 6 years ago
    Quoted from whthrs166:

shipped a lot of games in and out always STI and on the legs but, the BB has to be down strapped and on a blanket and the machine should be completely shrink wrapped. Out of probably 20 games shipped never had one damaged in shipping.

He bought my totan and shipped it with the legs on head down. Made there safe. Only problem he had was some issues with the GI out but fixed it.

#37 6 years ago

warning> if you ship horizontal on a pallet with legs off, they can stack items and also put items on shelves at shipping hubs. they did that to one of my cocktail games once and it fell of the shelf upside down and broke it apart. asteroids deluxe. write do not stack all over your item and show which side to truck. vertical is the way to go, just like getting a NIB pin. shipped and received thousands this way.
    pallet needs be 48 by 40 standard in size. you dont want anything in the semi touching the game.

#38 6 years ago

Legs off, head folded, standing on it's back. How they ship new ones, basically. You can ship them 'flat' with the legs off, but then you run the risk of some numpty clipping it with a fork lift.

I would never transport a pin with it's legs on unless it was only going a short distance and I was the one moving it.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/should-i-ship-on-pallet-on-legs-or-freestanding and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.