(Topic ID: 31469)

Should I sell my X-men LE Wolverine now or wait for code ?

By ctozzi

8 years ago

Topic Stats

• 27 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by PNBLWZD
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Sell X-Men Now or hold my breath on Stern and a Code Release”

• Keep It and play the waiting game 34 votes
    79%
  • Sell Sell Sell 5 votes
    12%
  • Trade Bait 4 votes
    9%

(43 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

#1 8 years ago

I've played this game maybe 100 plays since buying it NIB. I like it, but don't love it. I'm thinking of cutting my losses and moving on, but I am hesitant on letting it go before a real code update hopefully arrives asap. I remember SM was IMO just ok before the big code release, I don't want to have to chase the game again down the road.

#2 8 years ago

I am in the same boat...mine is tricked out and less than 100 plays as well. Not playing it until the new code update and then will probably decide its long term fate. I wanted sooo bad for this to be a keeper!

#3 8 years ago

It's right around the corner...just wait.

#4 8 years ago

keep it... whole lotta sellers and not enough buyers right now.

#5 8 years ago

I can't even express how pissed off I would be to spend that much money on a machine and have to wait around for them to get the code right. Will never buy a NIB Stern while this is standard practice.

#6 8 years ago

I can't see selling it now with the update coming so soon. Then again, if the update sucks, the market is going to be flooded with them.

#7 8 years ago

Keep. If you are board with this game it cant be because it is to easy. The more you play this game the better it is.

#8 8 years ago

I like the game, it's ok. I don't love.

At this point I think the game is seriously flawed. IMO you should at least get mini wizards for starting all the hero and villain modes and should have a chance to finish the modes you did not complete a-la SOS on Tron.

Also should have some stacking or be able to qualify DR and whatnot while in other modes.

I have basically parked the game until stern finishes the code and seriously would not buy another nib from them if the code is not greatly improved in the near future.

Also, stern should have a progress page and say what should be expected in the code update.

I like supporting stern and what they do for pinball, but this lack of code on a $6600 game is frustrating. I would hope Gary and John and code guys take more pride in the games they pump out. I wonder truly what John thinks of this pin and the code situation.

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from Darkslide632:

I can't even express how pissed off I would be to spend that much money on a machine and have to wait around for them to get the code right. Will never buy a NIB Stern while this is standard practice.

It was too ambitious for their usual schedule. More modes and probably more custom dots/animation than they have ever done. I think that's why it's worth hanging with it if you've got it already. The pieces are all in place...now it just needs some nuance and tweaks.

It's kinda funny how Stern went simple w IM/Av/BBH/Tron and a lot of vocal pinheads cried blasphemy....but - now people love those types of "quick n addictive" games, and those are games that Stern was able to code under their deadline restraints. So, with X-Men they tried to mix things up with what could be one of their deepest titles ever...and it backfired (for now). Remember, even LOTR and Spidey needed a year or so to finally get updates that made them into the "classics" they are today. X-Men could still pack some surprises! We'll know soon.

#10 8 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Then again, if the update sucks, the market is going to be flooded with them.

As opposed to now?

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from PEN:

Keep. If you are board with this game it cant be because it is to easy. The more you play this game the better it is.

would it kill someone at Stern PR or its development department to have a page telling us what to expect? And also saying something like this code is a work in progress but we wanted to get the game into the hands of our customers and are listening and will implement some suggestions. Thanks for being patient. Here's a cookie.

#12 8 years ago
Quoted from rai:

would it kill someone at Stern PR or its development department to have a page telling us what to expect? And also saying something like this code is a work in progress but we wanted to get the game into the hands of our customers and are listening and will implement some suggestions. Thanks for being patient. Here's a cookie.

I brought this up at PPE at Gomez's seminar that it was important to be more transparent and open with their customers about upcoming code updates - even if they couldn't give specifics, it would be great to have a page on their website or posts on FB that say something along the lines of what you just said. After that - they did that press release that confirmed that TF and X-Men would be getting updates ....but it's been silent for a while and we're all getting antsy. I still think more communication and updates about these issues would serve Stern & their customers well.

#13 8 years ago
Quoted from DrStarkweather:

Then again, if the update sucks, the market is going to be flooded with them.

As opposed to now?

Where is this flood? Someone should ride the wave.

#14 8 years ago
Quoted from Darkslide632:

I guess you will never buy a NIB Stern then. Can't think of a machine in recent history that hasn't gotten a code update. Some machines haven't hit final code until over a year after they were released. Even the venerated B/W machines went through several code revisions, so not like this is some new phenomenon.

As far as waiting around, the latest code is perfectly playable, and a lot of fun. There are some definite improvements that can be made, and some bugs that need to be fixed, but imo the current code isn't half as bad as some make it out to be.

#15 8 years ago

Btw how is version 1.21?

I just thought it would be just the same as 1.2 so I didn't bother installing it as I was waiting for the power pack update.

#16 8 years ago

I traded mine a while back but with the upcoming release of avengers it probably isnt the best time to sell right now. Youve held it this long you might as well wait a lil while longer. Maybe if there is something else out there see if someone is interested in a trade. Selling now youre bound to take a loss decent loss in order to move it.

#17 8 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Yeah that sounds great and would be nice for a topic here. I don't think Stern would want to put something like that out on there website. To the general public that may come off as a turn off to even buy the game. Stern wants those games sold and out the door.

I am on the other side of the fence now. I don't own the game but am on the fence of purchasing it. I really like the looks, depth, and flow. I know that it has some major code flaws right now and am afraid to even buy it. Although there are some really good deals compared to the price when it first was released. Do I buy now at a good price and hope they fix the code or do I wait and see? If the code is great the price I feel will jump quickly. Those NIB LE's will be gone quick!! If not then you will see a big sell off as some have already mentioned.

#21 8 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

4 NIBs (Retailers or flippers)
5 HUOs

550 were made. Hardly a flood.

Thats only right at this moment, through the marketplace. Even then its still the most listed game with those constraints. It may not be a flood, but there is currently more than enough supply for demand.

My base point was rather that I don't think new code is going to change people's mind about the game, you either know you like it or not. I like the pro.

#22 8 years ago
Quoted from PEN:

9/500 * 100 = 1.8%
Ok, 1.8% is a flood. I may be off because I can not remember the amount of LE games made was it 500, 550 or 600 ? Anyway, I picked the worse case.

250 Magneto & 300 Wolverine

#23 8 years ago

Just reading your comments no.

2 reasons:

First- the code is coming within a month according to Stern. Might as well see what it does.

Second- It is a buyers market. If somebody wants one, as DrStarkweather has pointed out, there are lots for sale. You're not going to lose money by waiting, and if anything it might go a little up once the inventory dries up a little.

It looks like you already have it listed at a great price on the Market Place.

#24 8 years ago
Quoted from DrStarkweather:

Thats only right at this moment, through the marketplace. Even then its still the most listed game with those constraints. It may not be a flood, but there is currently more than enough supply for demand.
My base point was rather that I don't think new code is going to change people's mind about the game, you either know you like it or not. I like the pro.

It's all purely speculation. Who knows. For me - I bought 2 games purely due to code updates...BDK and AC/DC. Code updates can sell some games.

I still think X-Men has a lot going for it and the bugs and lack of nuance are scaring people. Other than that - it's got everything anyone ever asked for in a Stern. Hand drawn art, custom dots, nice cabinet decals, lots of mechanical features, no off the shelf toys, depth, lots of modes....

I think if Stern had AT LEAST fixed the ice ramp movement timing issues, improved the magnets/disc action, and fixed the ball lock release issues MONTHS ago, people would still be pretty pleased and OK with waiting for content/creative updates. That stuff should have been priority #1 and DONE. Yesterday.

#25 8 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

PEN said:
9/500 * 100 = 1.8%
Ok, 1.8% is a flood. I may be off because I can not remember the amount of LE games made was it 500, 550 or 600 ? Anyway, I picked the worse case.

250 Magneto & 300 Wolverine

Thanks Rare, I'm sure you noticed my sarcasm. XMEN is a players game all else need not play it. When I find a game I would rather play I will sell mine with the other - 2%, because I play more then I collect.

#26 8 years ago

If only you could replace the Wolverine toy with the troll from RCT...instant classic!

#27 8 years ago

Hold it and wait. Why not? I recently purchased and unboxed a Wolverine, despite all the haters and nay sayers. I played one at a friend's house and was impressed with all the shots, features, artwork, lighting, and sounds. Just look at all the stuff going on with that pf! I find the game to be very good and challenging as it sits, and look forward to it getting even better next month. This game is tough, and will hand you your ass over and over if you're not paying attention. It is not an instant easy fast feel good game like IM and Tron, it takes some skill and getting used to for things to happen - which is perhaps partially why there is so much discontent.

Yes there are some things that need tweeking - mainly the timing of the ice ramp (easy fix I would imagine), and I don't exactly care for all the voices (which are ficticious characters anyways right?) but otherwise I think this game has a lot going for it.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside