(Topic ID: 272560)

Should I Replace this Voltage Regulator?

By Pinball_Eddie

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

543B3D92-2FA6-474B-8E0D-58BA572EC431 (resized).jpeg
E8B7AF46-7529-4C99-8C6C-FEDA17BA4927 (resized).jpeg
#1 3 years ago

Greetings programs, hope everyone is doing well and staying safe.

I’m in the early stages of fully restoring my sample Funhouse and as I was cleaning the PCB’s, I noticed this one spot on the back of the power supply board, kinda brownish, underneath the voltage regulator (M9030 - LM323K)? All the other boards look great, no jumper wire fixes and all the pins are solid, except one GI one is a little crusty and the connector also shows burn so gonna replace that connector and clean the pin or replace the whole pin assembly.

So is this normal or should I replace this voltage regulator and if so do I get the higher priced ones (Texas Instruments) as I see ones a lot cheaper but my gut says that’s for a reason? The machine was working and has been working with no issues since 2015. It has LED’s but probably going to go back to incandescents.

Another question....While I have the boards out, should I go ahead and replace ALL the caps and anything else? I’ve done several cap kits with consoles and other electronics, Monitors, etc. so I am pretty decent with an iron. It seems some say to others say if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

Thanks so much for any help.
E8B7AF46-7529-4C99-8C6C-FEDA17BA4927 (resized).jpegE8B7AF46-7529-4C99-8C6C-FEDA17BA4927 (resized).jpeg543B3D92-2FA6-474B-8E0D-58BA572EC431 (resized).jpeg543B3D92-2FA6-474B-8E0D-58BA572EC431 (resized).jpeg

#2 3 years ago

I'd leave it alone. It runs hot, hence the heat sink.

I've only ever replaced one in commercial use in 20 years. Game was resetting, and the voltage regulator was way more discolored than yours. Yours looks normal for an old board.

LTG : )

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I'd leave it alone. It runs hot, hence the heat sink.
I've only ever replaced one in commercial use in 20 years. Game was resetting, and the voltage regulator was way more discolored than yours. Yours looks normal for an old board.

Thanks so much LTG, you are always so quick to help, I really appreciate it.

Would the same go for replacing caps, just leave them unless they visually look bad?

What about replacing the thermal paste as I’m sure it’s not as efficient as it once was?

After my post above, I did find one thread where the only real recommendation was to change the 5VDC filter cap at C5 and C4 just to be safe.

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinball_Eddie:

Would the same go for replacing caps,

Never. Traces run underneath them you can't see without removing them and you'll do a lot more damage than good. Most likely hurt through board continuity. Unless, and that's a big UNLESS they are bad.

What about replacing the thermal paste as I’m sure it’s not as efficient as it once was?

Only if you need to replace the voltage regulator.

Don't fix stuff that ain't broke.

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Never. Traces run underneath them you can't see without removing them and you'll do a lot more damage than good. Most likely hurt through board continuity. Unless, and that's a big UNLESS they are bad.

Only if you need to replace the voltage regulator.
Don't fix stuff that ain't broke.

Thanks again, this is my first restore and just want to do everything I can but I am ALL about K.I.S.S. (keep it simple stupid)

I think I’ll add an ESR meter on my wishlist so that I will be able to test caps while still on the board, just in case for the future.

I appreciate the quick help and advice.

Stay safe

#6 3 years ago

See how it looks when you get the incandescents back in and get a sense of the energy and ball speeds. Rebuilt all the caps and bridges on my sttng and it transformed the game.

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from holminone:

See how it looks when you get the incandescents back in and get a sense of the energy and ball speeds. Rebuilt all the caps and bridges on my sttng and it transformed the game.

That’s my only concern as it’s always had LED’s since I had it and didn’t realize the dimming wasn’t present until I watched another video as it had been so long since I played it in the 90’s.

The discolored GI connector I’m sure happened because of this maybe but not as familiar with what to look for when using incandescents.

I initially was going to go all out with an LED and GI OCD board but the backbox 455 LED’s just don’t behave the same and worried while these boards will help mimic incandescents, it just won’t be the same. Also thought just using incandescents for GI only and LED’s for inserts and using just the LED OCD but not sure how mixing and matching both types as well as using incandescents in the backbox would affect the performance as the newest versions of those boards specifically state not to mix and match, hence the reason for going back to incandescents but just hope I don’t open myself up to heating or power issues. I don’t keep my games on longer than a day and usually only when playing unless I just want to keep them on for testing.

Thanks again for any and all help.

Any help is appreciated.

#8 3 years ago

except one GI one is a little crusty and the connector also shows burn so gonna replace that connector and clean the pin or replace the whole pin assembly.

Pins are shot. Don't clean them. Replace them.

#9 3 years ago

I can't stand LEDs in old games unless they are pulse controlled. Like LTG said, replace the GI pins. Be patient with the board work. If you decide to replace the caps, be super patient with the removal. A good desoldering tool is key (e.g. Hakko ideal). This one isn't bad. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B88FRME/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00

#10 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Pins are shot. Don't clean them. Replace them.

Will do, already ordered a new connector and set of pins with my first restore order (the cabinet)

Quoted from holminone:

I can't stand LEDs in old games unless they are pulse controlled. Like LTG said, replace the GI pins. Be patient with the board work. If you decide to replace the caps, be super patient with the removal. A good desoldering tool is key (e.g. Hakko ideal). This one isn't bad. amazon.com link »

Thanks, and that is very similar to one I bought a few years ago as I couldn’t convince myself to get the Hakko vacuum desolder station as I don’t do this type of work all the time and as long as you clean out that type of desolder pump every now and then, it works great but there is a learning curve to get it to work consistently. Usually when I have old tech (game consoles, monitors and other electronics, I get a cap kit regardless if it’s working as a better safe than sorry method and that way I know everything is new, especially if it’s 30 years old but the majority advice I’ve received is don’t do anything with the caps until a problem arises.

My only caveat is if by me going back to incandescents, if it would be good then to replace all the caps or just a select few.

Thanks again everyone for the advice and input.

#11 3 years ago

I agree 150% with LTG.

I have repaired a few of these boards where the 15,000uf@35V radial snap-in capacitors have been wholesale replaced. Every single one of these repairs showed the plated through hole (and sometimes also the pad) were removed when the original capacitor was removed. On one board all TEN (5x2) plated through holes were gone. These large can capacitors are radial snap-in. They are not the same as ordinary "leaded" capacitors. The holes are sized so that the capacitor can be somewhat securely inserted into the plated through holes during assembly. The are snug so removing them is problematic. It's not impossible to remove them without causing damage. It's problematic.

As far as incandescent illumination ... the GI and the controlled (matrix) lamps are on different circuits and operate differently. If you put incandescent bulbs in the GI you will not need to replace ANY capacitors. That circuit is AC. If you put incandescent bulbs in the controlled lamps you should only replace the relevant capacitors if you feel so inclined. I would NOT replace them. There are two of them that combine to produce 30,000uF and the plated through holes here matter. +12VR (positive 12 volt regulated) is also derived from this circuit so you can also cause problems in that circuit.

#12 3 years ago
Quoted from DumbAss:

I agree 150% with LTG.
I have repaired a few of these boards where the 15,000uf@35V radial snap-in capacitors have been wholesale replaced. Every single one of these repairs showed the plated through hole (and sometimes also the pad) were removed when the original capacitor was removed. On one board all TEN (5x2) plated through holes were gone. These large can capacitors are radial snap-in. They are not the same as ordinary "leaded" capacitors. The holes are sized so that the capacitor can be somewhat securely inserted into the plated through holes during assembly. The are snug so removing them is problematic. It's not impossible to remove them without causing damage. It's problematic.
As far as incandescent illumination ... the GI and the controlled (matrix) lamps are on different circuits and operate differently. If you put incandescent bulbs in the GI you will not need to replace ANY capacitors. That circuit is AC. If you put incandescent bulbs in the controlled lamps you should only replace the relevant capacitors if you feel so inclined. I would NOT replace them. There are two of them that combine to produce 30,000uF and the plated through holes here matter. +12VR (positive 12 volt regulated) is also derived from this circuit so you can also cause problems in that circuit.

Thanks SO much for the advice and input, especially on the incandescent part as that was my only concern and agree with others input I’ve read in other posts where the capacitors used back then were either better built or had less chance of having faulty ones.

So do you think using an ESR meter is safe while they are still on the board? Never used one of these meters but seems simple enough, although my concern is having to short the capacitors while on the board. Do you or anyone else know if this is okay to do? I mean it seems simple enough in terms of just putting an insulated wire with the ends stripped across but with these large capacitors, didn’t know if that could cause issues?

Thanks again for all the help.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
San Martin, CA
5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Haledon, NJ
$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 26.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.95
13,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Phoenix, AZ
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

Boards
Slap Save Creations

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 45.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

8,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
$ 22.50
$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/should-i-replace-this-voltage-regulator?hl=holminone and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.