New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 268435)

Should i repaint my pinball machine?

By Ineedpinballhelp

6 months ago

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 months ago by dr_nybble
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_4923_master(1) (resized).jpg

#1 6 months ago

I have a 1954 Williams Thunderbird. The paint is pretty much chipped everywhere. It is very flaky. Is it worth it to repaint it with the same colors? Or will that decrease the value because it is not original paint? Thank you!

#2 6 months ago

If it’s done poorly it will decrease the value . You have to assume the original paint is lead based . So you need to take precautions when removing the old paint .

#3 6 months ago

Best to sell the machine as-is to a skilled collector. Repainting the machine as per the original factory process is not simple and if you repaint it the incorrect way it is worse than having it not painted because we'd just have to strip it off. Leave the original paint because if someone does want to repaint it they'll need to make stencils from the original.

What is your location? I'd hope that this machine finds its way to someone who loves old Williams EM games.

Do you have a photo of the game playfield and backglass? That is the most important determinant of value.

#4 6 months ago

I vote to paint it! Unless this is some kind of rare em but i dont think it is

#5 6 months ago
Quoted from newtoit:

I vote to paint it! Unless this is some kind of rare em but i dont think it is

pinballowners.com shows 3 in the US and 3 overseas. Don’t think there are too many of these around.

The pinball serial number database seems to have around 500ish for this era of Williams EM

#6 6 months ago
Quoted from dr_nybble:

pinballowners.com shows 3 in the US and 3 overseas. Don’t think there are too many of these around.
The pinball serial number database seems to have around 500ish for this era of Williams EM

What does that mean? Like 500ish were made?

#7 6 months ago

Since this is a very rare game, it probably isn't a good idea for this to be your first attempt at restoring/repainting a game.

It would be a better idea to get some practice on a more common game if this is something you're interested in doing.

#8 6 months ago
Quoted from Ineedpinballhelp:

I have a 1954 Williams Thunderbird. The paint is pretty much chipped everywhere. It is very flaky. Is it worth it to repaint it with the same colors? Or will that decrease the value because it is not original paint? Thank you!

Do you have any pics?

#10 6 months ago

The wear looks a little deliberate and even. I've seen many worn games before. Notice how there are darker scuffs oddly scattered around and then lighter scuffs oddly scattered around. Nothing "normal wear" would cause this and still give you a great BG. Is this how the game was made to look out of the factory? If so then you have a 10/10 cabinet.

#11 6 months ago

I can’t even fathom painting a 50’s EM, it would be like painting a mustache on the Mona Lisa.

#12 6 months ago

Fuck yeah, paint that fucker!

#13 6 months ago

That one looks like it might have had a coat of paint stripped off it.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 9.50
$ 10.00
$ 27.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Arcade Arts
$ 36.99
$ 1,000.00
Playfields
Pinball Playfields
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 22.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
ModFather Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
Displays
GermanGamingSupplies.com
Various Other Swag
Third Coast Pinball
$ 6.00
Lighting - Led
Arcade Upkeep
$ 5,999.00
Pinball Machine
Arizona Pinball
$ 5.00
Boards
Allteksystems
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 2.00
Various Other Swag
Project Pinball Charity
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 125.00
$ 209.00
€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
YOYOKOPTER MODS
$ 25.00
Cabinet Parts
Flashinstinct
$ 119.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 3.00
$ 229.99

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside