Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20220114_220106670 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220110_204940390_HDR (resized).jpg
IMG_20220110_205019418 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220110_204956504_HDR (resized).jpg
#1 2 years ago

Hi everyone I'm a newbie and first time machine owner.

The machine I acquired is a tropic isle from Gottlieb but as you see it has been refurbished and repainted to Disney them.

I am not sure if I want to keep the Disney theme or chant to something else original or attempt to get it back to its original style.

Let me know what you guys think.
IMG_20220110_204940390_HDR (resized).jpgIMG_20220110_204940390_HDR (resized).jpgIMG_20220110_204956504_HDR (resized).jpgIMG_20220110_204956504_HDR (resized).jpgIMG_20220110_205019418 (resized).jpgIMG_20220110_205019418 (resized).jpg

#2 2 years ago

That is a nice bezel under the shooter rod. I would either keep it the way it is or sell it to a Disney collector. Do you know the history of this game and who did the conversion? Whoever did it did a nice job.

#3 2 years ago

Leave as is and keep it, or like stated above, sell to a disney fan. Dont sand or repaint it, someone did a decent job on it.

#4 2 years ago

Looks well done. I would leave it as well. I will say this, it looks better than some games posted for sale on here where people have added stupid painted legs or really ugly mods to them.

#5 2 years ago

Leave it. Unique piece and you’d be hard pressed to repaint to a nice looking Tropic Isle.

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from Tommy-dog:

Whoever did it did a nice job.

Right? I expected to open this thread and see a disaster, but instead someone actually did a clean job. Really interesting. Look at that, they even did some custom pop caps!

*edit* What the heck is that on the left side of the apron?

#7 2 years ago

Official Disney stuff is worth $$$. Especially one of a kind items.

#8 2 years ago

I’d keep it as is.

#9 2 years ago

That's actually pretty clean looking for a custom job. I'd probably keep it.

#10 2 years ago

It looks nice. Someone did a very good job on it. Please don't change that. I'm right there with everyone else...keep it or sell to a Disney fan.

#11 2 years ago

Looks pretty cool , I would leave it.

#12 2 years ago

Keep, I agree, somebody did a nice job.

#13 2 years ago

Yes for sure I would ether keep it the way it is good job they did too it or if u don't like it sell it and find something else u like ,it's not worth too redo it again when it's fine now

#14 2 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

*edit* What the heck is that on the left side of the apron?

Stern insider QR reader? I’m intrigued too.

#15 2 years ago

Too nice to change it... It's a Disney masterpiece. I'd sell it and buy a game you like, with the money you get.

#16 2 years ago

They did a really good job. Unless you have a retheme you're passionate about, it wouldn't be worth the time and effort to turn it to something else.

#17 2 years ago

Hi guys decided not to repaint for the time being as the previous owner did such a magnificent job and it is starting to grow on me. Also I got it for incredibly cheap for a fully working machine (about £600 including travel)

To answer a few questions on here in terms of the history of the machine it was the previous owner who did the refurbishment and repainting. He bought from a place called pinball wizards in Preston, England and from what he told me he got with it all working apart from one flipper which he repaired but the original tropic isle design on the playfield was incredibly badly worn which is why he repainted in the first place. The Disney theme was picked because his niece would like it I believe.

To answer the question about what is on the left apron. The person I bought the machine off of was good with computers and electronics and managed to add a digital score board which saves the high score. I'm in work at the moment but will post a picture of digital scoreboard later for those who would like to see it.

#18 2 years ago
Quoted from Roasty:

To answer the question about what is on the left apron. The person I bought the machine off of was good with computers and electronics and managed to add a digital score board which saves the high score. I'm in work at the moment but will post a picture of digital scoreboard later for those who would like to see it.

Nice! I've heard of people doing those kind of mods for EM's before, so it's not entirely new, but it is still really uncommon to see.

#19 2 years ago

Yes, I agree with most. Keep it as is. It is a well done and interesting retheme.

#20 2 years ago

Yes agree keep it the way it is and it will grow on u for sure and it's great the way it is can't lose

#21 2 years ago

There is a good amount of effort that was put in to this machine. The digital score board sounds interesting...would like to see that. It would be a shame to not leave it like it is and either enjoy it or sell to someone who would.

#22 2 years ago

For those interested here is what the digital board looks like. Underneath the playfield it does have a usb slot so I can plug it into a computer to reset the high scores or change the image if I ever need to

IMG_20220114_220106670 (resized).jpgIMG_20220114_220106670 (resized).jpg

#23 2 years ago
Quoted from Roasty:

For those interested here is what the digital board looks like. Underneath the playfield it does have a usb slot so I can plug it into a computer to rest the high scores or change the image if I ever need to
[quoted image]

How cool is that thanks for the pic

#24 2 years ago
Quoted from Roasty:

For those interested here is what the digital board looks like. Underneath the playfield it does have a usb slot so I can plug it into a computer to reset the high scores or change the image if I ever need to
[quoted image]

That is very cool

#25 2 years ago

BEST first post of 2022 !!! The machine looks terrific and the high score feature an innovative plus.

Is the side(s) of the machine bare wood like the face ? it has a nice look with the black trim ... looks to be powder coated.

Welcome to Pinside and thanks for sharing

I'd keep the high score where it's at and try to beat it.

#26 2 years ago

I love the metal cut out Mickey on the coin door, that is so cool!

#27 2 years ago
Quoted from chas10e:

BEST first post of 2022 !!! The machine looks terrific and the high score feature an innovative plus.
Is the side(s) of the machine bare wood like the face ? it has a nice look with the black trim ... looks to be powder coated.
Welcome to Pinside and thanks for sharing
I'd keep the high score where it's at and try to beat it.

That is actually my high score. Beat the high score within a few days. When I say a few days I was playing for hours.

Yes the sides are bare wood. The previous owner said that is how he got it. He painted the back board but left the sides and front for some reason.

#28 2 years ago
Quoted from Roasty:

That is actually my high score. Beat the high score within a few days. When I say a few days I was playing for hours.
Yes the sides are bare wood. The previous owner said that is how he got it. He painted the back board but left the sides and front for some reason.

Still looks good the way it is if u ask me and trying too beat your own high score is always fun

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/should-i-repaint-1?hl=chas10e and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.