(Topic ID: 194293)

Should I prime my cabinet before repainting?

By dr_nybble

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by eh97ac
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20170727_191159 (resized).jpg

#1 2 years ago

My first repaint on Heat Wave I primed the cabinet with Molotow primer.

I am getting ready for the second repaint. Do you recommend priming? I know that Clay in his guides says they didn't prime in the factory so you shouldn't either. Pros/cons?

#2 2 years ago

Depends on two things in my opinion:
    1 - Is it down to bare wood? If not, you do not need to prime, scuff smooth and shoot.
    2 - How good of a job do you want to do? I mean this seriously. The reason you prime if it is down to bare wood is because the wood is not sealed. If you have spots that are down to bare wood, they will absorb the paint differently and the finished product will show that. Will you be able to notice - maybe - maybe not depending on color. If it is all down to bare wood, it will absorb more (use more) paint, but will ultimately look just fine and even.

Hope that helps.

#3 2 years ago

Bare wood...guess I am priming due to the odd patch/fill here and there.

#5 2 years ago
    Quoted from Atari_Daze:

is Vid's physical moniker Clay?

No. They are different people.

#6 2 years ago

Thanks for the reminder about Vid's thread. I bought some Original Kilz we'll see how it sprays.

#7 2 years ago

Good luck on the prime and paint & stencil (I am guessing). This sanding/painting/stenciling part was my least favorite of my recent Black Knight restoration. I really enjoyed the playfield swap but this part not so much.

#8 2 years ago
    Quoted from dr_nybble:

Thanks for the reminder about Vid's thread.

No prob, i hope to do some of this same type work this very weekend!

Wishing you good results, GL!!

#9 2 years ago

Paint is not so good without lead from the past. I prime as I use auto paints.

#10 2 years ago

Just did my Old Chicago cabinet restore. Only have the yellow left. Have to go to the US to get the closest correct yellow. I sanded down to bare wood and bondo filled all bad spots and graffiti. Then primed and painted. All gloss spray paint. Looks great. So smooth. I say prime.

20170727_191159 (resized).jpg

#11 2 years ago

I've only done one cabinet, but I vote for priming. I too stripped the house paint off a cabinet, (chemically), then filled with bondo, sanded, primed, sanded, primed, etc... Finished cabinet was flat and looked great. Plus a stencil set from Pinball Pimp worked out great.

#12 2 years ago

Original Kilz sprays pretty well. Three light-medium passes 5 minutes apart and she is primed. I'll give that a light sanding and then we're on to the base coat with Molotow Premium low pressure and a soft cap

#13 2 years ago
    Quoted from dr_nybble:

Original Kilz sprays pretty well. Three light-medium passes 5 minutes apart and she is primed. I'll give that a light sanding and then we're on to the base coat with Molotow Premium low pressure and a soft cap

If you got your Molotow from a bricks and mortar store, buy any Ironlak can and swap the cap over to the Molotow for the larger areas. You'll thanks me. Caps can be cleaned and kept for future use

#14 2 years ago
    Quoted from dr_nybble:

You may need another prime coat after light sand.

Heck, if going full hog, you might need more filling after sand and stuff reappears.

#15 2 years ago
    Quoted from eh97ac:

If you got your Molotow from a bricks and mortar store, buy any Ironlak can and swap the cap over to the Molotow for the larger areas. You'll thanks me. Caps can be cleaned and kept for future use

Do you know what cap that is? http://4graffiti.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=66

http://molotow-na.com/catalog/spray-paint-caps-c-27.html
    I'm using the blue dot cap ordered from BombingScience -- no one in Ottawa sells it.

#16 2 years ago

Looks like the standard cap is the widow maker

https://shop.bombingscience.com/canada/ironlak.html <= ships from Montreal if you want it fast

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 49.95
    $ 18.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Top-Notch Target Shields
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    £ 12.00
    $ 1,000.00
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 157.00
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 7.00
    Electronics
    APB Enterprises
    $ 89.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 74.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 74.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 44.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Pinball Forever
    $ 17.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    BK Pinball
    $ 49.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Chrome Candy
    $ 29.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Full Tilt Pinball LEDs
    $ 156.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 29.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 16.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 199.99
    $ 160.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Id Rather Play Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside