Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20150618_194258.jpg
20150618_194152.jpg
#1 8 years ago

Ok so i just got the rails off my bally d&d to be sandblasted (because they really need it) and i cant decide whether to powdercoat them to match my lock bar or paint them. The readon i ask is because naturally one would think powdercoat duh! But i work in the autoglass field and have access to autopainters in bodyshops who could paint them with the fit and finish of an automobile. Heres a couple pics of the rails and my already powdercoated lock bar. Thanks in advance for the input pinsiders!20150618_194258.jpg20150618_194258.jpg20150618_194152.jpg20150618_194152.jpg

#2 8 years ago

Paint will never hold up as well as powder on exterior parts where the oils from your skin are constantly touching it. There are also more color choices unless you want to custom mix your color for painting. There are textures and sparkles. Matte and glossy and somewhere in between. Powder is a better choice.

#3 8 years ago

Paint is available in limitless colors and can be flattened to any gloss level. Eventually you might see wear through the clear where your hands touch but I dont think it would pose a concern. My concern would be where the lockdown bar sits on the rails. The paint will not hold up to metal rubbing on it so you would need to find a way to prevent that. Powder is more durable in that regard.

#4 8 years ago

Ok thanks guys. I guess powder it is.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/should-i-powdercoat-or-paint and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.