(Topic ID: 133126)

Should I pick up this free Mousin Around?

By EvanDickson

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20160313_203441_(resized).jpg
20160313_203446_(resized).jpg
Capture.png
mousin_around-191616759.jpg
mousin_around-191825011.jpg
mousin_around-191549897.jpg
mousin_around-191445082.jpg
mousin_around-191452331.jpg
mousin_around-191349596.jpg
mousin_around-191101813.jpg
mousin_around-191048942.jpg
freecandy.jpg
IMAG0882.jpg
There are 63 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 8 years ago

Sounds pretty beat up. No pics. It's going to be about an 8 hour round trip, which will cost a couple hundred bucks in gas and bridge tolls. I don't know where I'll even put this thing right now, probably have to stick it in the shed for the time being. But on the other hand... free Mousin Around.

What I know:

"There are no keys for the machine so the back will not come down for transport.. It Powers up. Needs a glass and all new rubbers. Some solenoids are in need of replacing. Great project for someone handy. I just don't have the space or time any more"

#2 8 years ago
Quoted from EvanDickson:

Sounds pretty beat up. No pics. It's going to be about an 8 hour round trip, which will cost a couple hundred bucks in gas and bridge tolls. I don't know where I'll even put this thing right now, probably have to stick it in the shed for the time being. But on the other hand... free Mousin Around.
What I know:
"There are no keys for the machine so the back will not come down for transport.. It Powers up. Needs a glass and all new rubbers. Some solenoids are in need of replacing. Great project for someone handy. I just don't have the space or time any more"

YES YES YES

One of my favorite system 11s. Great game and ITS FREEEE

#3 8 years ago

Yes.

I didn't even read the post.

#4 8 years ago

Yes! My favorite system 11.....go get it

#5 8 years ago

Uhh, yeah, go get it. Bring a drill for the lock and youre good.

#6 8 years ago

Followup question - how does one actually drill out the lock so you can get the head down for transport? Never done this before.

#7 8 years ago

If you have any doubt the guy isn't going to hold it for you, I probably wouldn't risk an 8 hour trip just to find out some guy showed up earlier this morning and picked it up.

#9 8 years ago

I would, you have a chance to bring a great pin back to life.

#10 8 years ago

Agree with JDoz2. We have it at our local arcade and it is a really awesome game. Super fast and pretty difficult as well. One of the best Sys11 games for sure.

#11 8 years ago

As much as it is indeed free, I'd still try to milk some more info on it before spending that much time in a car.

THEN again, it could be more nice than you think.

I'd probably go grab.

#12 8 years ago

better idea too is see if you can find someone to go pick it up for you locally and pay them a fee to grab it. maybe someone trusted on here, then pick it up when you can better arrange a time. that way u know its most likely going to be yours and not have to stress about it. people usually dont mind if they are going to make some money helping you out.

#13 8 years ago

Interesting dilemma,if you honestly think it is restorable and that you will restore it then go for it but if you are not sure that it is worth your time and effort to pick up or you are not sure that you have the time/knowledge to restore it maybe leaving it for someone closer might be better.I know what I would be doing!PS,great title have had mine for 14 yearsnow.

#14 8 years ago

I'm pretty sure you don't need to drill the lock for the back you just need the right allen wrench to unlock it than you can fold it down.

#15 8 years ago
Quoted from rjloot:

I'm pretty sure you don't need to drill the lock for the back you just need the right allen wrench to unlock it than you can fold it down.

System 11 games didn't use the coffin style lock that I'm aware of. it's wing-bolts down through the head (if they're installed). Which you'd have to get the head open to get to.

#16 8 years ago

If you don't read that thread, at least read this: SAFETY GLASSES. The only time I ever had to drill a head lock, I was using the seller's cheap drill bits. They kept snapping off. I'm lucky I didn't lose an eye over a stupid Strange Science.

#17 8 years ago
Quoted from rjloot:

That is Data East / Sega / Stern.

He will need a 1/4 bit through the center. Shove a flat head screw driver in and wiggle until the glass comes out.

Pull the backglass out and transport separate, it you put it back in unsecured it might fall out and break during transport.

Have a set of sockets & the flat Box / Crescent wrenches to pull the two head bolts it the wing nuts were not used. Have a blanket to fold in onto and a strap to secure the head.

Now get your keys and drive.

So to answer the first question - Yes Get it. Free System-11 is a no thought involved other than can you get somone closer to grab it for you.

#18 8 years ago

Grab it! Even if its beyond repair you could help some people out with hard to find parts for their restore - and make a few bucks.

#19 8 years ago

Absolutely! Bring a drill so you can drill locks.

#20 8 years ago

IT's a TRAAAAAPPP!!!

freecandy.jpgfreecandy.jpg

#21 8 years ago
Quoted from rjloot:

And you still have a worthless lock with no key. Drilling the lock is half the fun of picking up these junkers.

I drove 10 hours round trip to pickup my $200 Future Spa, but I like road trips. I listened to some pinball podcasts for part of the trip, found some good places to eat, and picked up a sweet pin covered in busty ladies and 70's mustaches.

#22 8 years ago

Nah..leave it. I'd wait for a free MM.

#23 8 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Nah..leave it. I'd wait for a free MM.

I'm sure a free BBB will turn up at some point...I just know it

#25 8 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

I'm sure a free BBB will turn up at some point...I just know it

It will make a fine coffee table project.

#26 8 years ago

I'm downvoting you for even questioning such a trip

#27 8 years ago
Quoted from radium:

It will make a fine coffee table project.

Egads!

#28 8 years ago

Ok. I'm convinced. I've rented an SUV (Ford Escape) and made arrangements to pick it up. More like a 10 hour round trip it turns out, but I'll enjoy it.

I'll pack a flathead screwdriver / hammer / pliers to try to force the backbox lock, as well as a 1/4" metal drill bit to drill it if that doesn't work.

This works out well since I'm most of the way through bringing a Taxi back around. I can have 2 sys 11's side-by-side to work on.

#29 8 years ago
Quoted from EvanDickson:

I'll pack a flathead screwdriver / hammer / pliers to try to force the backbox lock, as well as a 1/4" metal drill bit to drill it if that doesn't work.

And a socket wrench for the legs and backbox bolts.

#30 8 years ago

And a blanket and ratchet strap for the head

#31 8 years ago

OH yeah, those things are all part of the standard kit. Plus an angle grinder in case the backbox bolts are not removable.

#32 8 years ago
Quoted from EvanDickson:

OH yeah, those things are all part of the standard kit. Plus an angle grinder in case the backbox bolts are not removable.

OK, that's a new one on me and I've been doing this a long time. I've never had one that Box wrenches / Socket set or vise grips could not get loose.

#33 8 years ago

I pretty sure the only way this could be better is if the owner PAID YOU to take it...

#34 8 years ago

Keep us updated, I'm curious what it looks like

#35 8 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

OK, that's a new one on me and I've been doing this a long time. I've never had one that Box wrenches / Socket set or vise grips could not get loose.

I've had a couple machines where the t-nut was trashed and the wood chewed up under the back, so there was no way to get any resistance to loosen the bolt.

#36 8 years ago
Quoted from koen12344:

Keep us updated, I'm curious what it looks like

I'll send pics when I get it home. Which reminds me I owe this group some summer comparison photos to go with the snowmaggedon photos I posted in February.

#37 8 years ago

I got 'er! About 12 hours total round trip, but I detoured for delicious lunch at the Halifax Farmer's Market. Mmm. Mediterranean crepes, samosas, and coffee!

Thanks for the tips on the lock drilling. I tried forcing it first, with an angled screwdriver I got at Canadian Tire last night. It almost worked, but the lock was stronger than the screwdriver. Next thing, I started drilling the coin door lock with a metal bit I got, also at Canadian Tire. I was 1" in after 5 seconds, and it stopped throwing chips. All my strength could not get it to dig another bit. On my way out the door this morning I grabbed a spare bit JUST IN CASE. Put this in the drill and it took like 1/4 second more drilling to pop the lock. Awesome. Backbox key hanging inside the coin door, mission accomplished.

The good:
Free. I offered to buy him even a case of beer, bottle of nice scotch, Timmies gift card or something, but he wouldn't take it. Just wants to see pics when it's working again.
Playfield literally has no wear. There seems to be a mylar sheet over the entire thing.
Ramps are pristine. Not a crack anywhere.
Plastics are 99% pristine. Not a fracture anywhere, even the slings. One chip in the artwork under a sling where the kicker rubbed it.
Translite is great. One little rub spot between the scores, that's it.
Boards are excellent. Not even any corrosion on the battery holder.
Boots up and can access diagnostic mode.
No corrosion at all under the PF, it all looks really clean.

The bad:
No top glass. Meh.
Dirtier than the dirtiest thing you've seen. A couple years of dust, and a few dead bugs. But it will come clean.
Some corrosion on chrome bits, switches, and metal mechanical parts above the PF.
Some planking on the PF, it's been in a garage for a long time with no glass. I guess it was humid. Not severe though.
A few bubbles under the plastic layer around some of the inserts.
Grossly dirty bottom of the cabinet. A single water stain, maybe someone spilled a beer and that's where it funneled out.
Rusty legs. I already have tremclad to deal with that.
A little fade on the cabinet, but not bad. A few tears around the legs too, but overall quite nice cabinet.
Two broken wires, one off each flipper coil.

I think this can be brought back quite nicely.

mousin_around-191048942.jpgmousin_around-191048942.jpg
mousin_around-191101813.jpgmousin_around-191101813.jpg
mousin_around-191349596.jpgmousin_around-191349596.jpg
mousin_around-191452331.jpgmousin_around-191452331.jpg
mousin_around-191445082.jpgmousin_around-191445082.jpg
mousin_around-191549897.jpgmousin_around-191549897.jpg
mousin_around-191825011.jpgmousin_around-191825011.jpg
mousin_around-191616759.jpgmousin_around-191616759.jpg

#38 8 years ago

looks like it was worth a 12 hour ride to me, especially if you made an adventure out of it.

#39 8 years ago

That will clean up well. Nice score.

#40 8 years ago

Looks like you did the right thing

#41 8 years ago

Nice find. Worth the trip!

#42 8 years ago

Nice!

#43 8 years ago

So nice. I dream about the day I find a deal on some filthy game that's been sitting in someone's house forever.

It's the journey, not the destination.

#44 8 years ago

Well done!"Those darn mice"

#45 8 years ago

You would have been absolutely stupid to pass that game up. Very nice pickup for a $200 investment. Wish I could find all these free pins people are getting.

#46 8 years ago

Never seen one but looks like fun. Has to be even more fun to play on a free machine. Great score!

#47 8 years ago

pickup of the year, congrats!

#48 8 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

Never seen one but looks like fun. Has to be even more fun to play on a free machine. Great score!

It is fun!Had mine for 15 years,and that's what I thought when I saw it"Never seen one but it looks like fun".Never regretted that decision.

#49 8 years ago

Yesssssssshhhh.

#50 8 years ago

She's a beauty!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Camarillo, CA
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Sterling, VA
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 23.95
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

3,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Gainesville, GA
There are 63 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/should-i-pick-up-this-free-mousin-around and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.