(Topic ID: 296664)

Should I pay more for modding and customization.

By Modernpinman

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 90 posts
  • 62 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Engine09
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3738 (resized).jpeg
    TZ2 (resized).jpg
    sww (resized).jpg
    IMG_4576 (resized).jpeg
    64722467194__322FA56B-F284-4635-80DE-E7933891B995 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_4146 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_4145 (resized).jpeg
    There are 90 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 2 years ago

The responses here are funny considering all the people jumping all over themselves to buy LE's and CE's which are essentially just overpriced bling.

#52 2 years ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

The responses here are funny considering all the people jumping all over themselves to buy LE's and CE's which are essentially just overpriced bling.

2 thoughts on that.

1. Lot of those peeps are just rich.
    2. Those things, unlike a big point of this thread, are known to hold their value pretty well. I mean, that's what I've heard anyway.

#53 2 years ago
    Quoted from acedanger:

Only two mods that IMO add value is Color DMD & Pin Stadiums!

Not sure why you're getting down voted. Color dmds do add some value. Not sure about pjn stadiums, but they sure are expensive. I personally don't care for them.

In either case, it would be nice if the seller gave you the option to NOT have them to reduce the price.

This reminds me of the time I was gonna sell my Metallica with the total light show mod, and the guy asked me to remove it. Lol. Sure! It would only take about 5 hours! Lol

#54 2 years ago

Also: all this mod talk reminds me of seeing sdtm videos where all of Zach's games are just rotten with nonsense shit in/on them. Crazy speaker lights and toppers and toys. Jesus.

#55 2 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Autocorrect for the win!
    This question always has the same answer: it depends on the mods, and what matters most is what the buyer cares about. If it's worth more to you because you want it that way, or they improve the game for you, or are rare and hard to get and you want them?

This. If there are mods on there I like and I don't have to buy and mess with putting them on (side art, extra lighting, color DMD, anti-glare glass, tasteful powder coating) I will factor it into my offer and up it vs. the game that is not modded assuming same condition. If it is dolls or pinstadiums - no increase.

#56 2 years ago
    Quoted from Doctor6:

Not sure why you're getting down voted.

Pinstadiums obviously

#57 2 years ago

I’m in the minority,,,, I love mods ! I love adding them , and IMO it adds to the fun and enjoyment of the game ,, For MET , adding Powerbladez , Pinwoofer Sound System, Color DMD, Sparky Helmet wire ,,,makes the game Better , I would gladly pay extra for a color dmd and better sound System that I wouldn’t have to install later …some mods do add value to some !!

#58 2 years ago
    Quoted from Doctor6:Not sure why you're getting down voted. Color dmds do add some value. Not sure about pjn stadiums, but they sure are expensive. I personally don't care for them.
    In either case, it would be nice if the seller gave you the option to NOT have them to reduce the price.
    This reminds me of the time I was gonna sell my Metallica with the total light show mod, and the guy asked me to remove it. Lol. Sure! It would only take about 5 hours! Lol
    MBr was kinda on dark & I didn't want to add spots. The UV with Flashers & the level of layered leds along with it reducing glare big time was worth it.

#59 2 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Pinstadiums obviously

Can't be that bad they won the award for best MOD this year lol

#60 2 years ago
    Quoted from acedanger:

Can't be that bad they won the award for best MOD this year lol

Boaty McBoatface

#61 2 years ago

I recently sold my really nice Guardians pro for $5300. Before selling it I removed the Stern topper, Stern shooter knob, and the out of production Stern side Armor. I didn't even offer any of it to the buyer. I ended up with an additional $1600 selling the extras without the game.

A $6900 Guardians pro just just isn't a good looking listing.

#62 2 years ago
    Quoted from Otto110:

I recently sold my really nice Guardians pro for $5300. Before selling it I removed the Stern topper, Stern shooter knob, and the out of production Stern side Armor. I didn't even offer any of it to the buyer. I ended up with an additional $1600 selling the extras without the game.
    A $6900 Guardians pro just just isn't a good looking listing.

This guy right here gets it.

#63 2 years ago

The thing about mods is that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If you have a machine with mods and another person has one with no mods, the modded machine will probably be more attractive, assuming the buyer likes the mods. Things like a shaker motor and color DMD, probably will be attractive to most people, but not all. Adding LEDs is another good example. A lot of people would probably like having LEDs installed already because they would do that eventually themselves. However, some people hate LEDs and would prefer the standard bulbs. It is difficult to put a value on these things, since there are so many different opinions.

#64 2 years ago

LEDs to me have no value added as a mod and I put them in all my machines. They are just too subjective. I care about the shape and look of the bulb as much as I do how it lights things up. I get a machine with those odd shaped or really cheap looking LEDs and they are coming out and going in the one day if I am desperate between my next order bag. The guys that want the most for their LED jobs always seem to have completely different taste.

#65 2 years ago

If you like the mods, yes. If you don't like the mods, no. There are several cosmetic mods that I really like; including the Ghostbusters firehouse and Metallica Snake decals and fangs. To me those mods would add value. They look like they are what should have been there before being removed to save a few bucks.

#66 2 years ago

Dont forget these awesome mods for Alien, got a tracker mod on the right and this awesome apron, sure beats the old plasticy one.

IMG_3738 (resized).jpegIMG_3738 (resized).jpeg
    #67 2 years ago

I think that it comes down to the the seller and buyer at the end of the day.

- I have sold a few games with mods and did not consider them to add value as I got my enjoy out of the game and sold the game at average market value.
    - One game which had my own Snackbar Mod in it, I gave the option of a game priced without the mod or slightly higher but discounted with it installed - sold it with the mod in it.
    - Then I bought a game with a topper mod and non standard translite and paid a little extra for them but removed and sold them off which meant the game worked out at better value in the end.

But I see no value in action figures installed in a game.

#68 2 years ago

Scale model figures (not “dolls”), signs and vehicles are sunk cost. I have no expectation of getting any money back out of those kinds of mods when I sell the game. They’re probably the most subjective mods of all, except maybe art blades. Man, I hate most of the art blades on the market right now, except for the ones that the manufacturers are putting out (using the same art team). Think before you bling.

#69 2 years ago

No, yes, maybe...

It's all up to what you like and value.

#70 2 years ago

If you like the audio aspect of pinball it’s worth owning a PinSound system if you are buying a game that has several aftermarket sound packages.

#71 2 years ago

I've been pretty firmly in the no mod camp. I feel like they usually draw too much power and get in the way of things, so personally I don't do them myself.

I have a lot of friends that mod their games though and I will never complain or tell people how to spend their money.

All that being said, I won't and don't want to pay more for modded games.

#72 2 years ago

Reading through these comments, especially the SUPER opiniated ones, I get the vibe that these same "purists" would no doubt expect full compensation for the "muffler delete and screaming eagle kit" on their Harley, and the Borla Exhaust on their car... Like most other rational people are saying, if you like it and it cost any considerable amount of money to add, then it definitely adds some value.

#73 2 years ago

Yeah, if you want a game with no mods, you could be waiting a very, very long time. Best to come in as buyer with an understanding of the mods’ intrinsic values, and some flexibility. Nobody wants to hear that they made bad decisions. Having said that, if someone posts a game on Pinside with lots of crappy mods and wants 50% more than the stock game, I’ll be happy to join the mob in ridiculing it.

#74 2 years ago
    Quoted from nicoy3k:

Modding does not subtract value unless it’s something irreparable or a pain in the ass to fix like shit colored powered coat.

So true. There are definitely games I pass on because of ugly powder.

#75 2 years ago
    Quoted from acedanger:

Don't forget AC/DC lightning bolts!! Stock ones suck IMO

The hooked ones, though bright were a bit of a maintenance nightmare. I had to do soooo many repairs on the boards while I had it.

#76 2 years ago
    Quoted from PersonX99:

The hooked ones, though bright were a bit of a maintenance nightmare. I had to do soooo many repairs on the boards while I had it.

Pinbits

#77 2 years ago

I can only speak from personal experience, but modding my pins tastefully (key word), has paid off in the selling and trading of them.

#78 2 years ago

For me, I'd pay for the ColorDMD and mods that should have been included in the original machine but were cut. For example, sinking building mod for Earthshaker. The lighted skull pile eyes for Scared Stiff.

Anything else will not add value for me.

#79 2 years ago
    Quoted from Doctor6:

Also: all this mod talk reminds me of seeing sdtm videos where all of Zach's games are just rotten with nonsense shit in/on them. Crazy speaker lights and toppers and toys. Jesus.

(Gasp) yeah they are hideous!

#80 2 years ago
    Quoted from ZMeny:

(Gasp) yeah they are hideous!

What was it..."Self proclaimed King of the Toppers"? Was that you? I can't keep all you podcasters straight anymore.

#81 2 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

What was it..."Self proclaimed King of the Toppers"? Was that you? I can't keep all you podcasters straight anymore.

Suuuuuuure love ya too Fraxxy. Play your cards right and I might send you a set of speaker light kits for the holidays

#82 2 years ago
    Quoted from ZMeny:

Suuuuuuure love ya too Fraxxy. Play your cards right and I might send you a set of speaker light kits for the holidays

Ha, for what, exactly? Iron Man's already got one, and is getting sold. Demo Man is getting sold, so I wouldn't take any charity for that. Crescendo.....is an EM. And of course Ultraman will have them already. Unfortunately, I'm not one of these wierdos that hides my collection...I'm just very limited on space and money I care to dedicate to pinball. Short of it is they'd be better off going to just about anyone BUT me.

Hard to bribe the man with...everything and nothing at the same time!

4 months later
    #83 2 years ago

By far my biggest pinball related gripe, fucking mods.

I guess I would be considered a purist, nothing more beautiful than a pin restored to the exact state when it left the factory, they're a snapshot in time utilizing the technology and esthetic of the era. It's just repulsive to me when I see gaudy plastic junk hot glued or zip tied on, random toys and other assorted shit.

Then there are the garbage mods that interfere with the view of the ball actually hurting gameplay, egregious.

Brightly colored powder coated rails, legs and coin doors? Clown show.

Aftermarket toppers? I'd love to smash them off with a hammer.

Mirror blades and decals? Playfields scratch them up a majority of the time, some guys add felt but they're still too tight. They don't belong there.

When I buy a pin full of mods I can't even enjoy the machine until all that crap is removed, most mods can be resold but it's work removing that junk and posting it for sale, etc. So no, they do not add value for me.

#84 2 years ago
    Quoted from Engine09:

I guess I would be considered a purist, nothing more beautiful than a pin restored to the exact state when it left the factory, they're a snapshot in time utilizing the technology and esthetic of the era. It's just repulsive to me when I see gaudy plastic junk hot glued or zip tied on, random toys and other assorted shit.
    Then there are the garbage mods that interfere with the view of the ball actually hurting gameplay, egregious.
    Mirror blades and decals? Playfields scratch them up a majority of the time, some guys add felt but they're still too tight. They don't belong there.
    When I buy a pin full of mods I can't even enjoy the machine until all that crap is removed, most mods can be resold but it's work removing that junk and posting it for sale, etc. So no, they do not add value for me.

What about a color DMD ? Do you hate that too ?

#85 2 years ago
    Quoted from Engine09:

Lol I typically hate things modded (cars, guitars, etc). Just got back into pins though and last one I bought had a color dmd. I’m sold on the color dmd’s. Next one I bought (on its way) has color dmd, pinsound and shaker. Had to pay extra and not sure if I’m going to like it but I needed the game and it was the mintiest one avail. Game I’m buying next week has radcals, toys, $500 topper in edition to everything else. Hard to avoid modded machines if you want games quick. I do like art blades and color dmds so far though.

#86 2 years ago

Radcals have to be up there with the lamest.

Quoted from BigalzPinz:

What about a color DMD ?

Pretty universally loved; Imagine he likes them just fine. All the other garbage he's mentioning is pretty on point.

#87 2 years ago
    Quoted from Engine09:

Totally agree.

#88 2 years ago

I'd say it's to your taste. You're the one throwing down the $. Some mods are added value, some not. Again that is up to what you want, it will be your game in the end.

#89 2 years ago

Color DMD would be marginally worth more . Not full cost to purchase the kit outright . Rest mods to me detract value . Takes time to pull them off and may induce hardware issues while removing . LED would be a draw unless overly bright or horrid color choice on the LED . If horrid or need sunglasses to look at the game I would most likely pass unless title I could not live without .

Shane

PS pinball should be considered a fun thing . Not a retirement investment plan .

#90 2 years ago

I'm quite indifferent when it comes to color DMDs, never really considered buying one but don't totally hate them. They're just a bit unnecessary, and when you factor in the cost it's just silly. Money is a factor when considering mods, maybe if your basement is maxed out and every pin is in flawless condition then you get bored and start bolting on cheap plastic junk. I don't know, it's not worth it to me.

There are 90 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/should-i-pay-more-for-modding-and-customization/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.