(Topic ID: 67023)

Should I pay $8000.00 for a shopped MM..??

By limelime20

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 79 posts
  • 56 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Kneissl
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

are-you-gullible-button.jpg

This topic is closed.

There are 79 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 10 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

If you just want a game to play.. and don't care about anything.. buy a new one.

I agree but I think if he just wants to play he should buy the old one . 8k and have it now bring it home and play it . Or make payments and spend 8k and maybe be able to play his game in a year or so . If he just wants to play choice seems easy to me , get the one that actually exists now .

#52 10 years ago
Quoted from eggbert52:

I'm pretty sure he knows. All of a sudden an email out of the blue?

are-you-gullible-button.jpg 10 KB

What he said was he doesn't think the guy thinks HE (limelime) knows.

#53 10 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

I can't believe people are saying things like 'warranty' - seriously???
The new game has all kinds of unknowns still... will the board set be reliable? how easy will it be to repair? What about the quality of the new repo'd parts? Will their LED system be good or bad? Remember.. every 'new comer' has great ideas.. ideas that don't necessarily have years or decades of experience and shakedown behind them.
WPC is well known and understood - it's pros and cons are quite clear. And the originals will hold their value because it's the real deal with quality that people appreciate.
Prices will correct because there will be another avenue for those 'that just have to have one' - but the original will still be an 8k game in today's prices. As long as it's playfield isn't blown out or needs major restoration... 8k seems like a win and jump on it.
If you just want a game to play.. and don't care about anything.. buy a new one. But WPC vs unknowns?? I think the WPC wins there.

Absolutely agree with everything you've said. I'd take an $8k original in decent shape over a repro any day. On top of the stuff you listed there are also other points like repro decals (which never look quite right) instead of screened art, lack of Color DMD compatibility, etc. Every part will be a repro. How many repros of anything -- whether toys, stickers, translites, playfields, plastics etc -- look absolutely perfect? In my experience they are usually slightly wrong. Apply that across an entire game and you could get some serious deviation from the original machine, possibly even affecting the most important thing, which is how it plays.

Full disclosure: I own and operate an original MM. I would love to buy more of them to put on location for $8k but I just don't trust this yet, especially not for route use.

#54 10 years ago
Quoted from bobbyconover:

Absolutely agree with everything you've said. I'd take an $8k original in decent shape over a repro any day. On top of the stuff you listed there are also other points like repro decals (which never look quite right) instead of screened art, lack of Color DMD compatibility, etc. Every part will be a repro. How many repros of anything -- whether toys, stickers, translites, playfields, plastics etc -- look absolutely perfect? In my experience they are usually slightly wrong. Apply that across an entire game and you could get some serious deviation from the original machine, possibly even affecting the most important thing, which is how it plays.
Full disclosure: I own and operate an original MM. I would love to buy more of them to put on location for $8k but I just don't trust this yet, especially not for route use.

We really don't know the condition of the MM we're talking about. Even with the bad aspects of a repro, the one he is trying unload could be a badly routed one.

#55 10 years ago

It's pretty much a guarantee that an original vs a repro will always command a higher price if the condition is equal. But since the new ones are all NIB and the originals are all used at this point, you have to do some estimating. I would say an original MM in 8 or 9/10 condition is definitely a good buy at $8k. This is just me thinking out loud so don't take it as gospel.

#56 10 years ago
Quoted from Anth:

It's pretty much a guarantee that an original vs a repro will always command a higher price

Nope, I will always buy the newly made game.

#57 10 years ago

offer the guy 7k

Quoted from limelime20:

I had a local person who had 2 MM's, and I have been trying to get one for the last 3 years....
He wanted $10,000 for either one of them......I alway's said $8000.00
And he kept passing, ..for years....
All of a sudden, he email's me , with,..."Do you still want a MM for 8K.? ...
what do think I should say..???

#58 10 years ago

I don't think MM will be ever made so I would buy it

#59 10 years ago
Quoted from limelime20:

I am going with NIB , I have to take new , seem's like a no-brainer for me. His were in average condition,no mods, and FAR from mint. Thanks for the responses, I think warranty and new w/toys was the deciding factor.

It's gotta feel kinda good telling him "no thanks" at 8K.

#60 10 years ago

If they do ever get made its not the same game as MM ,does not have the Williams logo and PF not the same and not even called the same ether

#61 10 years ago
Quoted from bobbyconover:

From the looks and sounds of it these new ones will be a ton more solid, especially for route use since they have all updated electronics. But of course, we still need to wait and see.

#62 10 years ago

Shllllooooock Monster!!!

#63 10 years ago

Good decision, OP!

#64 10 years ago
Quoted from Williampinball:

If they do ever get made its not the same game as MM ,does not have the Williams logo and PF not the same and not even called the same ether

What?

#65 10 years ago

You said he has two of them? Tell him you'll pay 8k........for both of them.

#66 10 years ago

Did I pay too much for my car insurance?

#67 10 years ago

The BS that is flying about is amazing. No one really knows what will happen but one thing is certain, my MM is not for sale at any price.

#68 10 years ago

Same here I will keep my and enjoy it

#69 10 years ago
Quoted from pauloz:

The BS that is flying about is amazing. No one really knows what will happen but one thing is certain, my MM is not for sale at any price.

Why would someone want to purchase your MM , when they can purchase a NIB for 8k .

Unless yours is under 8k or the buyer must have the original boards and logo's , I think its a safe bet that no one wants it .

#70 10 years ago

This is why I stopped watching sport highlights. It was once about actually seeing just sports. Now, its all the off the field crap, who's murdered someone, who got busted with a gun/drugs/hookers - who cares.

People are debating based on how it will sell vs the other. It will be worth something, either way. But if you want to PLAY a mm, then buy the Williams one, as you will have that **now**.

I agree that while I'm sure Rick with make a great product, there are many unknowns. We have heard many promises from new companies over the years, and it is possible this machine follows suit and doesn't come out for another 2-3 years. I realize it seems to be more likely they won't have a lot of problems, but it is possible. Hell, everyone could sell their MMs for the new one, and PPS could go belly up for some reason. Anything is possible.

I am signed up for a repro as is, but I would buy a nice original NOW absolutely. I don't think it's the best game, it's fun, but the Williams are proven and are here and real. A year or more of my life to enjoy something NOW is worth the new factor in my opinion.

#71 10 years ago

tell him 7k right now. and will drop the closer the remake is to being out the door.

#72 10 years ago
Quoted from criss:

Why would someone want to purchase your MM , when they can purchase a NIB for 8k .
Unless yours is under 8k or the buyer must have the original boards and logo's , I think its a safe bet that no one wants it .

And you cant read. Where did I say it was for sale? in fact I said it was not for sale so the point of your comment is lost.

#73 10 years ago
Quoted from Kyflipper:

Did I pay too much for my car insurance?

No...but I know some good old boys who paid too much far a plywood box

#74 10 years ago
Quoted from Anth:

What he said was he doesn't think the guy thinks HE (limelime) knows.

Pretty sure that's what I was saying bub

#75 10 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

I can't believe people are saying things like 'warranty' - seriously???
The new game has all kinds of unknowns still... will the board set be reliable? how easy will it be to repair? What about the quality of the new repo'd parts? Will their LED system be good or bad? Remember.. every 'new comer' has great ideas.. ideas that don't necessarily have years or decades of experience and shakedown behind them.
WPC is well known and understood - it's pros and cons are quite clear. And the originals will hold their value because it's the real deal with quality that people appreciate.
Prices will correct because there will be another avenue for those 'that just have to have one' - but the original will still be an 8k game in today's prices. As long as it's playfield isn't blown out or needs major restoration... 8k seems like a win and jump on it.
If you just want a game to play.. and don't care about anything.. buy a new one. But WPC vs unknowns?? I think the WPC wins there.

Glad to see someone is thinking like me. I had a LONG drive yesterday and had time to think about MM. I kept returning to the unknowns and the board set is a big one. Wish it was original.

At this point, I'd rather have a "decent" MM, like others have suggested, at the $6,500 or so mark. Then if you want to improve it beyond that --- well it's up to you. You can get a playfield for about $1,000. And improve from there. Yes, it may be more money in the end, but you will have a known quantity and you will have it now.

I'm passing on the new MM. I'll wait and see how it goes and make a decision once I start seeing the games. I've been collecting since 1998. I've never owned an MM and not too concerned if it never happens, though, so I have patience on my side. I've owned, and since sold, most of the top Williams games in favour of the now classic Sterns (LOTR, TSPP, and Spiderman). Personally I find they play better anyhow with much better rules.

Cheers,
Duane

#76 10 years ago
Quoted from jrivelli:

From the looks and sounds of it these new ones will be a ton more solid, especially for route use since they have all updated electronics. But of course, we still need to wait and see.

the new electronics is the big downside to the new mm. if they just used original Williams boards you'd know what you're getting. as it is, it looks like shit you can't really work on. if they do a thousand or two of these games then disappear you could be stuck with a pinball 2k style problem.

#77 10 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

the new electronics is the big downside to the new mm. if they just used original Williams boards you'd know what you're getting.

There are not 3000 Williams ASIC chips left on earth to remake those boards.

The old boards were a crappy design anyway, with bad power and burnt GI connectors.

Would you use a 20 year old computer every day?

#78 10 years ago

i would much rather have new designed boards, I remember the Pentium 166MMX that I was running about that time, yes 16MHZ and that was flying. Now there are quad core 3.4Ghz or better, I do not want to go back

#79 10 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

There are not 3000 Williams ASIC chips left on earth to remake those boards.
The old boards were a crappy design anyway, with bad power and burnt GI connectors.
Would you use a 20 year old computer every day?

At least you can work on them. I flew with a 15 year old computer in the Navy. It worked.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs
Armor and blades
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound
Other
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Wolcott, CT
$ 12.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com
Other
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Interactive
$ 64.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
Hardware
Pinball Haven
Hardware
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 26.50
$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs
(Alt) Translites
$ 37.50
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound
Electronics
$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC
Various novelties
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods
Led
$ 16.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
Protection
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Boards
$ 24.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods
Decals
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
There are 79 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/should-i-pay-800000-for-a-shopped-mm/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.