(Topic ID: 78969)

Should I order new driver and CPU boards?

By FoghornLeghorn

10 years ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by KenH
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

So, I bought a Firepower a while back for a few hundred bucks that wasn't booting up correctly in the hopes of fixing it up and selling for what I have in it to a friend who doesn't have a pin and whose favorite game is FP. What I'm finding is that I can get it to boot up every once in a while by pressing the reset button on the CPU board and turning the game off and on immediately after that. But it still does a lot of random stuff. Like sometimes it will play an entire game, and other times it will just die during the middle of a ball, meaning that I have to restart the game. Other times, I can't get it to boot up at all. It never boots up correctly when just turning the power switch on. So, my question is, do I pay a pinball technician to come figure out what's happening, or would I be better off just buying whole new CPU and driver boards and swapping them out myself? I don't have any idea how to work on boards, so that's why I'd have to call someone. Can I still get these boards and from where and how much are they? Would that take care of all this randomness?

Thanks for any advice

#2 10 years ago

If you don't want to learn repair if send them out to someone.

Coin op cauldron. Or there are reputable people on here who do professional repair.

#3 10 years ago

Message me if you want info about having me repair and rebuild your boards. MPU and driver board together is typically just $100 if there is no corrosion.

#4 10 years ago

I kept on having problems with my Flash and getting someone to come out and repair was difficult and expensive. Replaced MPU & Driver boards with Rottendog MPU327 a few years ago and haven't had a problem (board related) since.

#5 10 years ago

Thanks guys. What's the cost of repairing and rebuilding boards vs buying new ones?

#6 10 years ago

Never mind. I think I found the answer. Looks like Rottendog boards to replace these are $300. Yikes. Think I'll look into rebuilding.

#7 10 years ago

I picked up a Williams "Flash" recently and I am currently working on the boards myself. VID's guide link below is the best and takes you through it step by step. Also check out planetary pinball link. They sell a sisterboard for $30 that replaces the 5-6 ROM's that may help your rebooting issue as the ROM's are typically seated on bad Scanbe sockets.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-bulletproofing-williams-system-6

http://www.planetarypinball.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=PP&Product_Code=PPS-SYS346A-ADAPT&Category_Code=GS-871

#8 10 years ago

Go to CoinOpCauldron. Email Clive. He is the top in the business.

The two boards (power/cpu) will be like $140 to repair. It's the way to go.

#9 10 years ago

Thanks guys

#10 10 years ago

Tough question to answer without knowing the specifics, but in general I would think it would be cheaper to repair.

Andrew's estimation is really, really reasonable, considering you're going to get fully working original boards back.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Playfields
Troxel Repair
Playfields
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball
Other
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Branford, CT
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff
Cabinet parts
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/should-i-order-new-driver-and-cpu-boards and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.