“Should I have gone back?”

• Yes ,You should have turned right around gone back & made the deal 12 votes
    8%
  • No , You did the right thing 87 votes
    58%
  • The Dude was really jerking you around 51 votes
    34%

(150 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

There are 68 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 7 years ago

Saturday I drove 3 hours one way to look at a Whitewater that came up for sale on craigslist asking $4300.00 , when I first saw the add it was less than 48 hrs. old , I called the guy & he said he was really surprised that he had already been offered more $ for it than he was asking & that because of that the price was now a "little higher" I said yeah whatever ok can I come see it over the weekend (this was almost 2 weeks ago) he said sure but that the best offer he had on it so far was $5000.00 & that I shouldn't bother driving all the way down unless I was ready to come up to 5 , I told him I was gonna pass at 5 ..... several days go by & then he texts me & says that the guy who offered was having trouble coming up with all the money & was asking for more time to get it all & if I wanted to come down this weekend I could have it for $4700.00 I said alright I will come look at it but I wasn't really happy about the way this all was going anyways after finally getting there Saturday morning & seeing the pin I was disappointed , the playfield was very dirty and looked as if it hadn't been shopped in perhaps 10 years , had 1 little burn spot near the mine kickout ,upper playfield had some lines in it maybe planking a little bit ,faded cabinet but not too bad & some paint flaking & falling off under the DMD display on backbox , mismatched flipper bats , some broken boulders ,the topper was on it but didn't appear to work/look as good as it should but it did seem to play well & ramps were all intact anyways I told him $4700.00 was too much & that I wasn't comfortable at $4500.00 but would consider doing a deal for the orig. asking price of $4300.00 he said he didn't think he could do that as he was selling for his uncle and if he called him he would probably say no so I told him well it was a long drive but I'm out GLWTS he let me leave but then when I was about 5 or 6 min. away he called (I didn't answer) then he sent me a text saying that he had talked to his Uncle & if I wanted to come back he would sell it for $4300.00 I just kept right on going ....never even answered him ,anyhow its now Monday & I am wondering if I should have gone back just thought I would do a poll here & get the consensus on Pinside to weigh in

#2 7 years ago

It depends how bad you want it. I wouldn't care, it sounds a little beat IMO

#3 7 years ago

F*ck him....

#4 7 years ago

Based on your description of the game, I think you did the right thing.

#5 7 years ago

Pass. He basically wants top dollar for an unshopped/routed game. It's worth maybe half that in its current state. Sounds like the guy is just playing games with buyer(s).

#6 7 years ago

Good call.

#7 7 years ago

just noticed he has now relisted it and price has gone up to $5500.00

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from TecumsehPlissken:

just noticed he has now relisted it and price has gone up to $5500.00

Don't look back! The guy is clearly fishing and no self-respecting pinball guy would try to sell you a dirty machine.

#9 7 years ago

You did the right thing in passing.

Here's one in Canada that has been posted on the Seattle craigslist for well over a month at $5,700 (Canadian dollars) and still hasn't sold. Frankly, I think it's too steep for the condition it's in, but it does have a color DMD installed.

seattle.craigslist.org link

#10 7 years ago

Who was it? Anyone from the groups? Total dick head move. I bet there is not even an uncle involved. Tried to BS you into paying more for it.

#11 7 years ago

You should post something on CL saying how you looked at his game and seen what it was like in person, and not to mention the games the guy is playing with phantom bidders. And how others should be aware of his shenanigans.

John P. Dayhuff
Battle Creek, Mi.
269-979-3836

#12 7 years ago

I'd have passed as you did.

#13 7 years ago
Quoted from Dayhuff:

You should post something on CL saying how you looked at his game and seen what it was like in person, and not to mention the games the guy is playing with phantom bidders. And how others should be aware of his shenanigans.
John P. Dayhuff
Battle Creek, Mi.
269-979-3836

Or he should just get on with his life and let CL work itself out as it always does.

I have no idea when - or why - Whitewater became such an A-list game that people are willing to spend north of $4,000 for a trashed one. But entering the Craigslist wars is a major waste of time for anybody. The OP had his chance to pick up this gem for the asking price of $4300 and he passed, why should he care what happens next?

#14 7 years ago

Sometimes the best deal is coming home with an empty truck. You did the right thing. The whole deal sounds wonky.

#15 7 years ago
Quoted from TecumsehPlissken:

I just noticed he has now relisted it and price has gone up to $5500.00

Must be this one:

miami.craigslist.org link

#16 7 years ago

be glad you kept going, sucks dealing with people like that

#18 7 years ago

For 3.9k you turn around...hahaha he had his shot at 4.3k

#19 7 years ago

love the single lightning flipper...

#20 7 years ago

Move on OP. Trust your first intuition. You didn't turn around when he called back. Don't turn around now.

#21 7 years ago

Good you walked away. That condition did not warrant that price.

#22 7 years ago

I'm sure SOMEBODY here would pay 4300 for that thing. Doesn't mean it has to be you.

#23 7 years ago

I wouldn't advise this unless you REALLY want the game, and if you swing that way.

#24 7 years ago

You shouldn't have went in the first place. All the signs were there.

#25 7 years ago

Seller's a jerk off, don't waste a second worrying about it. Overpriced at best.

#26 7 years ago

As soon as it became an auction you should have passed and never looked back.

#27 7 years ago

In 3 years time, will you be upset with yourself for not buying an overpriced game? I think not. Enjoy the pins in your collection until a good deal comes up with a legit seller.

Here's how the deal should have gone. You show up, offer what you think is fair. Guy thinks about it and says deal knowing full well a pin sold is better than having one on cl for months and months and months. He then tells his uncle, "Look here Uncle, I sold it for what I sold it for. It's out of my damn garage and gone."

#28 7 years ago

I think you did the right thing. F that guy

#29 7 years ago

No way that game is worth $4300. Good thing you kept driving.

#30 7 years ago
Quoted from Dayhuff:

John P. Dayhuff
Battle Creek, Mi.
269-979-3836

I assume you were joking. It's always entertaining to me when people use CL like it's a pinside thread.

#31 7 years ago
Quoted from RustyLizard:

You shouldn't have went in the first place. All the signs were there.

Exactly, I would have never wasted any drive time to haggle with this dude after the initial phone call of the price raise.

#32 7 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

Exactly, I would have never wasted any drive time to haggle with this this dude after the initial phone call of the price raise.

And he's being nice about it. I've already deleted 5 different posts on what I would have said.

The more I read the original post the more it seems this was a scene out of Beetlejuice.

#33 7 years ago

Years ago I bought & sold Lionel Trains and when something like that happened I would contact the seller back ASAP and tell them now that you have wasted my time it is worth ---- to me. In you case I would have said $3800 cash and kept on driving. Sellers that play games deserve to have the favor returned.

So in your case I would have pulled over and grabbed something to drink or what ever and about 20 minutes after he called you I would have called back telling him "now that you wasted my time & gas it is worth $3800 to me. If you want me to turn around you have 5 minutes to let me know or I will not come back regardless of price".

Odds are you would still have driven home empty but at least you could have given the guy a taste of what he did to you.

#34 7 years ago
Quoted from too-many-pins:

Years ago I bought & sold Lionel Trains and when something like that happened I would contact the seller back ASAP and tell them now that you have wasted my time it is worth ---- to me. In you case I would have said $3800 cash and kept on driving. Sellers that play games deserve to have the favor returned.
So in your case I would have pulled over and grabbed something to drink or what ever and about 20 minutes after he called you I would have called back telling him "now that you wasted my time & gas it is worth $3800 to me. If you want me to turn around you have 5 minutes to let me know or I will not come back regardless of price".
Odds are you would still have driven home empty but at least you could have given the guy a taste of what he did to you.

Waste another 60 minutes round trip to get peace of mind? LOL. You all have way too much time on your hands.

#35 7 years ago

Bad seller tactics
Tried to up the price with fake offers, I see it all the time

You did the right thing
Forget about this fool and others like him

You will get a much nicer one I bet
For similar price in the near future

#36 7 years ago

You did the right thing; I've been through that sort of crap myself.

#37 7 years ago

Yes, you should have went back and kicked him in his nut's.

#38 7 years ago

You should have gone back and said what Rory Breaker would have said, then offer him 4k.

#39 7 years ago

Man, 3 hours...

You did the right thing though, for sure. Don't stress out about it.

#40 7 years ago

Never go back. Even if he called and said it's free you know he's an untrustworthy pile and would probably call the cops claiming you pulled a knife and stole it.

#41 7 years ago

You 100% did the right thing. First, to much for a Whitewater. Second, as soon as he did the ebay bidding shit, i would be out. F that..

#43 7 years ago

I would call him back and tell him, it is worth $3500 to you. I can't see if it has insert wear in the pictures, but if it doesn't that would be my offer. Tell him that is all you will pay and if he wants ebay / retail prices look elsewhere. If he calls you to come get it after a few weeks NP, go get it. There is no line forming for dirty poorly maintained pinballs at retail prices of any title.
Talk is cheap and people who call CL sellers to offer over the asking price almost never show. Or when they do they offer to pay less...
-S

#44 7 years ago

I'll sell you one nicer and cheaper than the one you were looking at. I'm also not that far from you. PM sent

#45 7 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Never go back. Even if he called and said it's free you know he's an untrustworthy pile and would probably call the cops claiming you pulled a knife and stole it.

I don't think anything you wrote is likely to happen.

#46 7 years ago
Quoted from Olddragon:

Don't look back! The guy is clearly fishing and no self-respecting pinball guy would try to sell you a dirty machine.

Exactly. No way! You did good, move on.

#47 7 years ago

Tell him you will take it but he must deliver it to you. When he gets there offer him less.

#48 7 years ago

The pictures in that CL ad didnt look too bad, other than a lightning flipper. No wear around the flipper buttons, topper was there. There will always be another one...

#49 7 years ago

You probably shouldn't have made the first trip down there after the seller started playing games with you.

#50 7 years ago

Wait ! Lemmy fly down real quick, and I'll keep your hot lady company,...then you go back.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

7,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Cincinnati, OH
Machine - For Sale
Castle Rock, CO
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

17,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Indian Land, SC
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

$ 12.95
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

$ 12.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 189.00
Playfield - Plastics
Starcade Amusement

$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 68 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/should-i-have-gone-back/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.