• 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by rufessor
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

Restoring a 1973 Gottlieb King Pin

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/king-pin-restoration-slo-mo

I ran a ground braid- should I ground tilt frame? Trying to think this through and I feel like ot should be fine but I also feel like I have this feeling It could be dirtier than I think and may cause problems. I assume neg is frame so ground should be ok but maybe not?

Advice?

#2 6 years ago

I wouldn't. No need to, and the frame is part of the circuit. Grounding it would likely cause problems.

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from rufessor:

Restoring a 1973 Gottlieb King Pin
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/king-pin-restoration-slo-mo
I ran a ground braid- should I ground tilt frame? Trying to think this through and I feel like ot should be fine but I also feel like I have this feeling It could be dirtier than I think and may cause problems. I assume neg is frame so ground should be ok but maybe not?
Advice?

You're talking about the lift tilt ball channel, right? No. Don't ground it.

#4 6 years ago

Yep. That was my gut feeling...but I was in the middle of running ground braid and it was almost irresistible to not ground that- glad I resisted temptation- it's basically just a wire in the circuit of the game so grounding seems like engineering a short on the one hand.... but it's also technically on the correct leg so maybe it would work. I always feel like I should just "know" this but in this case it's weird to me. Maybe it's because it's a bit piece of metal and not a wire!!

Thanks!

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from rufessor:

Yep. That was my gut feeling...but I was in the middle of running ground braid and it was almost irresistible to not ground that- glad I resisted temptation- it's basically just a wire in the circuit of the game so grounding seems like engineering a short on the one hand.... but it's also technically on the correct leg so maybe it would work. I always feel like I should just "know" this but in this case it's weird to me. Maybe it's because it's a bit piece of metal and not a wire!!
Thanks!

In any case it's pointless to ground something that can't be touched by someone playing the machine. Otherwise, why not ground every piece of metal in the game, including the pop bumper brackets, drop target frames, etc.

#6 6 years ago

Agree for the most part- but I am assuredly not the only one who has adjusted tilt (or any of the other parts you mention) on a powered game

Mostly this was a project because I can- there is some obvious safety benefit to grounding electronics but I was not and am not very worried about this game running on two probg power. It needed a new plug and I figure since the game was an empty shell and super easy to get at- as I was rewiring a new plug I decided touse that little green wire.

Electrical issues happen- a live to ground issue happens for a very “short” time.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 3.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/should-i-ground-the-tilt-frame-1973-gottlieb-wedge-head and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.