• 13 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by TunaSled
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

Hi Everyone,
I've got an opportunity to pick up a Cyclone tomorrow moring. I'm in South Africa and pins are pretty scarce. I won't bother you with the price but to say its about a third of which you'd get it for if it was in a pretty good condition here. The issues are: backglass is bust and the display isn't working. The rest of the pin is good.
I've done some checking and I'm pretty sure I can get the display or even the display driver. My worry is with the backglass. I'm pretty much still a noob so what to do about the backglass? Is there somewhere I can get one and have it sent to SA or even some kind of laminated poster or something.

What do you think, should I go for it?

#2 11 years ago

It is a great game. I would do it for that cost but you are correct. The glass is going to cost you a lot to get there.

#3 11 years ago

Make sure the Cyclone ramp and the ferris wheel return ramp are ok.
Most of these came with translites. I don't know of any retailers selling those but Marco claims to have a NOS backglass for sale here: http://www.marcospecialties.com/control/keywordsearch?SEARCH_STRING=cyclone&S_CAT1=CABP-BG

Very pricey.

I would think you could get LED displays if the display is shot.

Good luck. That game is an absolute classic.

Shawn

#4 11 years ago

And lift the playfield and inspect the spook house ramp. Often cracked.

#5 11 years ago

Buy it. It's a great, fun game. If you don't find a new backglass then you can try to have one made locally from a good photo.. New displays are also available.

#6 11 years ago

Thanks for the help. I'll check out the ramps the ferris wheel. Still looking for a source for a translite. Otherwise if I can get that backglass from macros without too much of a fuss Ill go for it.

#7 11 years ago

Turns out, I got a bargain! Translite is good. The display's CPU connector not plugged in. I connected it and the display is working magic! Playfield has mylar on it with a bit of bubbling where the inserts have lifted. I can fix this no worries! Ramps and ferris wheel is shweet! What a luck!

#8 11 years ago

Awesome for you my friend. It is one of my holy grail pins. I'm waiting to find a nice one
in NYC. I love the entire package. Enjoy!
Al

#9 11 years ago

Excellent score. Cyclone's a really fun game and has some classic sfx and callouts. "Ride the ferris wheel!"

Speaking of the ferris wheel, make sure it has the actual silicone belt (Marco has 'em for like 5 bux) and not a playfield rubber, as is a common hack. they stretch and will fail.

#10 11 years ago

I had a feeling I might have some luck when I asked the guy if I can look under the playfield. I switched off the machine the guy said he never knew about the switch under the cab.... Hehehe!

#11 11 years ago

Your Pinside collection isn't updated yet, Cyclone and Fish Tales buddy

#12 11 years ago

Nice grab. Make sure you look at the people in the crowd on the field. Not sure if everything will translate there but they put a lot of funny stuff in there.

#13 11 years ago

Mr. T, the Coneheads to name a couple gags placed in there.

Also, as I heard it told, the cow butts on the carousel in the center may be the origin of the "hidden cow" as an in-joke amongst pinball designers. Supposedly Python was having trouble drawing a convincing cow from the top and hid them under the mechanism that operates the carousel. Again, this may or may not be true, can anyone confirm/deny? Is there an instance of a hidden cow before Jan. 1988?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

Machine - For Sale
Copley, OH
$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 29.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

3,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Collegeville, PA
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/should-i-get-it-cyclone-with-issues and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.