(Topic ID: 255797)

Should I fight this rental car damage claim or use my AMEX insurance?

By jake35

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 36 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by RipleYYY
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

BCB56D76-FC3D-4DA7-B184-203C2537246B (resized).jpeg
    nypd_blew.gif

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jake35.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

I rented a car with "Advantage" car rental in Orlando (never use them). Anyway, after the dropping off the van to them in the Orlando airport parking garage, the attendant checked the mileage fuel etc. and we were on our way. 3 weeks later (today) I get a bill from them for $2,900 for repairs that were needed. Apparently some dimwit must have damaged the pass side door after we dropped it off.

Should I fight it or just let my insurance pay? They claim they don't inspect them until the next day after they are dropped off, and I am liable until then, which is BS.

#6 4 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Amex, and fight....Ive had this happen to me several times.
    I now take full photos around any car I rent before I leave, in addition to the paper they ask me to Mark,
    and I take photos on return, either with employee, or identifying drop off.
    I always have a receipt of cleared return.
    in doing this, I still experienced as you did, but when I email car co, and cc, I fight for
    the entire bill to be comped for their fraudulent charges.
    Pisses me off, but what choice do I have these days.

thanks, I've never used my AMEX insurance but guess I will have to, I guess they don't drop after one claim? It's BS that I even have to use them at all~

#10 4 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Amex, and fight....Ive had this happen to me several times.
    I now take full photos around any car I rent before I leave, in addition to the paper they ask me to Mark,
    and I take photos on return, either with employee, or identifying drop off.
    I always have a receipt of cleared return.
    in doing this, I still experienced as you did, but when I email car co, and cc, I fight for
    the entire bill to be comped for their fraudulent charges.
    Pisses me off, but what choice do I have these days.

so Amex doesn't drop you after one claim? I am fighting it now with these turkeys but if I have to use their insurance I guess I will.

#14 4 years ago

They emailed me a completed invoice that has no damage noted, just mileage etc. and the date and time. So I will respond with that attached and fight it. Sounds like I've been lucky up until now, I've never had an issue before but will be more careful in the future with receipts etc.

Quoted from LukyDuck:

All you need is a copy of the original drop off receipt. If no damage is noted, it is not your issue. I always take a picture of the mileage, outside of car and keep the fuel and drop off receipts. Had issues with several rental car agencies while on business trips. My receipts have kept me out of trouble.

#20 4 years ago
    Quoted from Pinball-is-great:

Sounds shady to me. Of course it was the passenger door and not the driver side door.
    Seems like to me you (and/or your insurance co.) should not consider paying any claim until they show you pics of the damaged passenger door with a date/timestamp that matches up close to the time you returned it, and matches they type/color of vehicle you rented, preferably also showing the matching license plate of the one you rented.
    Op,
    did you take any pics of vehicle when you first got it, and also when you returned it?

Fortunately I did, mainly because i found it odd that when i picked it up no one did an inspection prior to me leaving. They just gave me the keys in the office with a rental form to show the parking lot attendant so he could raise the bar and let me out.

I sent it to them and spoke to a manager yesterday and she closed the case since the photo details showed the date and time matched when I had checked out, plus the date of loss on their letter was the next day after I dropped it off. Really shady and crappy on their part.

What's funny is they claimed the pass side door was so damaged that it couldnt slide open, yet all 4 of my backseat passengers were able to exit out that door with no issue upon returning it. I definitely learned a lesson and would always take photos in the future!

#33 4 years ago
    Quoted from RandomGuyOffCL:

For peace of mind
    No scary letters demanding $$$
    No calls to make fighting Your case. No pinside threads to make.
    And no stress which leads to hypertension, heart attack and stroke.

I wasnt scared, nor stressed... just wanted input from others. I had my bases covered with photos and two insurances, but thought I'd warn the community and get input. The time it took to call them and email a photo was better spent then the hundreds of dollars in wasted redundant rental insurance charges. I rent all the time for business and wont change a thing, except I wont do business again with this company again on principle. I guess I've been lucky up until now from what I hear.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jake35.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/should-i-fight-this-rental-car-damage-claim-or-use-my-amex-insurance?tu=jake35 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.